Radio Ga-Ga

Devon Malcolm

• 2 years later...

Out of nowhere I've become a daily listener to the BBC World Service.

I know that the BBC gets a ton of shit these days (and quite rightly in the past couple of weeks) but bloody hell, this is the absolute quality that they can and do put out every day.

Over the last two hours, I've listened to programmes on Jason Arday, the youngest black person ever to have been given a professorship at Cambridge, something on Arthur Briggs who was a jazz trumpeter, something on a Vietnamese Navy Commander who retired to the States to become a manicurist, and now a discussion on AI and cyber psychology. Fantastic. 

I usually just listen to music when I'm working from home, but the World Service has taken over most days.

Long live the Beeb.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Out of nowhere I've become a daily listener to the BBC World Service.

I know that the BBC gets a ton of shit these days (and quite rightly in the past couple of weeks) but bloody hell, this is the absolute quality that they can and do put out every day.

Over the last two hours, I've listened to programmes on Jason Arday, the youngest black person ever to have been given a professorship at Cambridge, something on Arthur Briggs who was a jazz trumpeter, something on a Vietnamese Navy Commander who retired to the States to become a manicurist, and now a discussion on AI and cyber psychology. Fantastic. 

I usually just listen to music when I'm working from home, but the World Service has taken over most days.

Long live the Beeb.

I used to work for the World Service, and heartily agree. It's legitimately incredible the variety of content that they put out and the quality. Even just daily shows like Outlook and Witness History are always fascinating, let alone the flagship Tuesday and Wednesday documentaries. It's a tremendous service with some fantastic people working there. 

• Paid Members

If I'm in the car with my mum we listen to Radio 2 which is usually Scott Mills then Sara Cox, but if I'm listening to the radio myself it's usually 5Live for me. It's usually just Dotun Adebayo, or maybe I'll play 606 on catchup while I'm falling asleep.