Radio Ga-Ga

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The current Talksport bumpers for the Euro football sound like they were written by Enoch Powell. Brilliantly jingoistic.

There is one that I heard yesterday that is a two minute orgy of cod-foreign accents, culminating with some bloke screaming "VIVE LE FOOOOOOTBALLLL!!!!" with such bone crunching force that hymens must have been shattered all around the immediate vicinity of my car radio.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Jonathan, reveal youself!

Some (horribly racist) guy moaning about Reigns and Cena on Iain Lee's show right now.

Jonathan is a tosser and his Twitter is vile. WomenobeyUkip. I phoned up after him on Monday nights show

Oh god I was cracking up at his snoring through the ads, glad he didn't leave due to being beaten by women.

I love Caddick but his hatred to women beating him to be first is very sad

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Paid Members

Apropos of nothing, In Our Time on Radio 4 is fucking superb. I haven't listened to it in a year and am catching up on the back episodes I have missed. Truly one of the best things about the Beeb.

In other radio news, I've pretty much given up on TalkShite (trademark Butch). Always seems to be arch-gobshite Mike Parry on and the other one who's basically the living embodiment of a Daily Mail editorial.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

The most recent series of I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue has a round of "song to the tune of another" in which Andy Hamilton sings NIN's "Hurt" to the tune of "Singing In The Rain". Funny, but also incredibly disturbing. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

The most recent series of I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue has a round of "song to the tune of another" in which Andy Hamilton sings NIN's "Hurt" to the tune of "Singing In The Rain". Funny, but also incredibly disturbing. 

I love ISIHAC. Yes, it's a Footlights-type relic but I laugh like a drain every time I listen to it. Saw it recorded last year with The Toksvig and Richard Osman who is incredibly sharp live. So funny.

• Paid Members

It is great, and I think having Jack Dee as chairman has updated it perfectly for the modern day. Osman is brilliant every time he's on.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just recently discovered a station out of Seattle called KEXP and it is absolutely superb.

I haven't listened to the radio (bar 6 Music on occasion) for years, but I've had this on all weekend and have discovered so many new bands and artists from it.

There's pretty much something for everything within the shows they do, and a lot of the daytime output (their very early to late morning) is pretty lo-fi pop/indie/hip hop so it's great for the background.

There's a show that is produced and made by teenagers once a week (90.teen), and the one from yesterday was bloody superb. Sound & Vision has stories about the industry; there's a hip hop show; a punk show. It's all good. There's not a load of talking either, but when they do they keep it simple and informative.

Found out last night that Breathe by The Prodigy sampled Little Richard on it, something I never knew (the break right at the end of the song).

Check it out pop fans https://www.kexp.org/ they also have a YouTube channel with loads of great performances https://www.youtube.com/user/kexpradio/featured

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, KEXP! Haven't heard that name in ages.

Used to listen to it a ton around 2008-2010, I was big into bands like Gaslight Anthem and Hot Water Music and you could always bank on KEXP hosting acoustic performances from those lot. Brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Bloody hell, KEXP! Haven't heard that name in ages.

Used to listen to it a ton around 2008-2010, I was big into bands like Gaslight Anthem and Hot Water Music and you could always bank on KEXP hosting acoustic performances from those lot. Brilliant.

It's amazing. I've spent the last 90 minutes listening to their Pacific Notions show which is all new classical/ambient/experimental topped off with half an hour or so of Kraftwerks softer moments. I feel like I'm floating :)