Radio Ga-Ga

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Haven't you got a nightclubbing phase to go through 10 years too late or something?

I was going to ask you the same about when your balls were scheduled to drop.

But yes, local radio. In London, I have to say it's pretty awful. LBC is pretty much the Daily Mail on the air. My flatmate, a tailor who works in his room, listens to it almost religiously, saying it gives him the feeling like he's in the workshop. I don't know how he stays sane.

Other than that, it's either Greek radio (which I don't understand, but throws me back to my childhood, when the surrounding neighbourhood was mostly Greek/Cypriot), or absolutely shite pirate stations playing shite dubstep/DnB/reggae that's meant to sound "underground", but to me is the audio equivalent of a piss-stinking underpass festooned with dog shit.

• Moderators

If my voice is as deep and rich as it is without me going through puberty and being a hairy bearded six foot 27 year old, I dread to think what'll happen when it does.

• Paid Members

If my voice is as deep and rich as it is without me going through puberty and being a hairy bearded six foot 27 year old, I dread to think what'll happen when it does.

henry-viii-brian-blessed.jpg

No doubt you'll start car surfing, playing basketball and get Parkinson's.

If it's the pirates you're interested in, I suggest reading up on Radio Northsea International. Really interesting stuff.

Ah, was that the one coming from a man made platform in the sea, somewhere near Holland? I did have a spell some time last year of becoming temporarily fascinated with pirate radio, pirate TV, and illegitimate states (such as the Principality of Sealand, amongst others). If I remember rightly, the guys behind Radio Northsea International were also behind a pirate TV station, serving the Holland area.

Things like this have always fascinated me. I find things like the Max Headroom incident and even short wave espionage broadcasts from number stations to be of immense interest, too. The mystery surrounding such topics really attracts me to them.

Edit

Edited by Richie Freebird

I came across a

regarding Radio Northsea International. The first part plays some welcome messages from the station, and goes on to feature news reports from both British and (I think) Dutch TV. At 6:27 we are presented with a statement read out on the air, disrespecting the British government! All of this is nicely supplemented with moving footage of the colourful vessel itself.

Sticking with the pirate / offshore station theme, Radio Caroline is actually still going, for those interested, the station can be heard live at this link. Caroline is another one with an interesting history. I've read through the whole history as presented on the website in the past and found it to be a cool story with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Various links to different eras of Caroline's history can be followed from here. Reading through all of that lot really helps to get across the cause behind these outlaw stations, especially to someone like me who wasn't yet around in the heydays of these offshore stations.

Some really cool music on Caroline still. I've had it on for a while tonight.

Edited by Richie Freebird

To the guy who posted the Good Time Oldies - Thanks!

My pleasure. For a time last year when I was heavily into my artwork projects,Good Time Oldies was my first choice radio station for evenings at the drawing board. The up-tempo, happy nature of rock & roll and doo wop acted as quite the motivational tool for my drawings.

Going back to the pirate discussion, after Butch suggested researching the Radio Northsea story, I discovered an awesome audio documentary on youtube. This is a pretty long listen (almost 2 hours I think) but the time actually flies by when listening. It's really well put together too, with talking head interviews, clips from the air during the most notorious moments of the station's history, jingles, clips from news reports, and an extensive run-down of the history of the station. A fascinating story.

Click the photo below for a link to part 1 of the doccumentary on youtube. It's really, really good.

rni_zpsd7848148.png

• 7 months later...