Radio Ga-Ga

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

My main faves on radio are The Goon Show, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Beyond Our Ken/Round The Horne and Bristow.

Recently in particular, I'm loving the Horne shows - Kenneth Horne's voice sounds like it belongs to a guy who presents serious shows, so it lends something to the gags he comes out with. Also, they feature a younger Kenneth Williams, before all the Carry On shite, and he's really quite good. I've always known how versatile a voice actor he was ever since growing up to Willo The Wisp, but his characters in Ken/Horne are just hysterical, especially Julian & Sandy with Hugh Paddick. Also, I love Betty Marsden's regular "many, many times" gag - she manages to slip it in anywhere (ooer, fnar-fnar and all that).

• Paid Members

Well, I don't enjoy them. I should, because I like Up Pompeii and Benny Hill, but I don't. Possibly because the Carry On Films feel more like Whoops, Baghdad than Up Pompeii.

• Paid Members
Well, I don't enjoy them. I should, because I like Up Pompeii and Benny Hill, but I don't. Possibly because the Carry On Films feel more like Whoops, Baghdad than Up Pompeii.

They're not really a great deal like Up Pompeii or Benny Hill, though, so it's not an entirely fair reference point.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
Fair enough. You aren't exactly known for great taste, I suppose.

A reputation I've deserved since I did your girlfriend.

They're not really a great deal like Up Pompeii or Benny Hill, though, so it's not an entirely fair reference point.

They're on that side of British humour, even if they're not exactly the same. Sexual gags, bad puns - they're close, IMO.

• Moderators

She said your insistence of talking about China through it, made crap puns, and the fact you broke into tears at the end, and then started texting her all the time, really put her off. That's why she goes for real men now.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

She said your insistence of talking about China through it, made crap puns, and the fact you broke into tears at the end, and then started texting her all the time, really put her off. That's why she goes for real men now.

I'm a selfless guy - someone had to put on a good enough performance to make your banging on about Brad Armstrong, Scott Steiner and hairy balls not look like you were aiming for the pink pound.

• Paid Members
They're on that side of British humour, even if they're not exactly the same. Sexual gags, bad puns - they're close, IMO.

Nah. Benny Hill was slapstick comedy, nothing like Carry On. Hence why it took off in the States and Carry On didn't.

Carry On was closer to Up Pompeii but Carry On was never centred on one character or actor and had a far wider span of genres and scenarios that it focused on. Liking one doesn't necessarily mean you should like another. I was never all that much of a fan of Up Pompeii.

• Paid Members
At least you went for a lady (not that I'd call her that) with a vagina this time.

I went for her before she was with you.

Nah. Benny Hill was slapstick comedy, nothing like Carry On. Hence why it took off in the States and Carry On didn't.

Carry On was closer to Up Pompeii but Carry On was never centred on one character or actor and had a far wider span of genres and scenarios that it focused on. Liking one doesn't necessarily mean you should like another. I was never all that much of a fan of Up Pompeii.

No, I get that. I suppose it was more about the relative cross-over of regular actors - gave it a certain general "feel". Resultantly it all felt like the humour fit under the same umbrella.

Edited by Carbomb

• Moderators

Haven't you got a nightclubbing phase to go through 10 years too late or something?

Anyway, back on track. Let's discuss the hell of local commercial radio. Before Heart and Real swallowed the World and networked it around the nation, we had MFM/Marcher Sound up here. It had Andy Crane on it at one point. It's strange, while I go nowhere near commercial radio now (unless I want to laugh at TalkShite), it's all I'd listen to through choice as a child pretty much. Even the national commercial stations like Atlantic 252. Was 252 actually any good? And is there any decent commercial radio now?