UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Moderators

Still stayed with the m4/3 so I can use all my lenses I currently have. Essentially I just got a better version of the one I had before, so I've gone from the Panasonic gf1 to the dmc-G7.

Huge difference though, really noticeable, and some really handy features. One of the criticisms I read of the camera before getting it was that there were perhaps too many buttons and dials and features. Quite to the contrary, I've found it so much easier to use because once you customise the function buttons to the features you use regularly it's so great having that kind of flexibility so quickly without having to go into the menus.

Want to have a bit of a play around with video soon,too , which I have never done before.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm back from my trip to Chernobyl and have uploaded my [hundreds of] photos. Links here: Day 1 and Day 2

Some highlights:

Welcome to Chernobyl

26277331232_3e507474d7_z.jpg

Chernobyl kindergarten

26369640905_c127eed922_z.jpg

The Pripyat gym

26303585181_d0f0844ea6_z.jpg

Pripyat amusement park

26303574981_0e46c5dc42_z.jpg

Pripyat amusement park

26277446952_8b4fd326b9_z.jpg

Pripyat swimming pool

26277368772_8f5ef7b3be_z.jpg

• Paid Members

It's been on my bucket list for quite a while and it didn't disappoint. It was amazing and shocking at the same time.

The amount of cover-up done by the USSR was truly disgusting and cost thousands of lives but the lax approach to health and safety (even back when knowledge about the effects of radiation was limited) was astounding.

The exclusion zone is like another world. Pripyat was a thriving community of 50,000 people and then they were gone. Never allowed to fully return. There was washing (now rags) hanging in kitchens, plates left on tables, medical records left in the hospital.

And it's SO quiet. You can hear some birds singing but I hardly saw any. There were a few crows or ravens inside the cooling tower and I maybe saw one or two smaller birds but that was it. There was an article doing the rounds on social media last week about how the wildlife is thriving but I didn't see any of it. I saw domesticated dogs and a friendly fox (named Simeon) but that was it. No squirrels or any other animals you'd normally see in a forest. It was weird.

Everything really is forgotten there. It's the 30th anniversary in 2 weeks and yet there's still nothing. You get people going to Cambodia to the killing fields, to Auschwitz, to Ground Zero. Yet there's nothing in Chernobyl. A couple of small memorials and that's about it. No-one knows the history of it, the thousands of people who died, the cover-up or the ongoing effects.

Sorry, I rambled. No idea where I was going with that. Short version: I thought it was amazing and would highly recommend a visit.

Edited by Monkee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well, this is interesting. Some girl has uploaded a photo of my hometown to a Facebook group that is proving rather popular. She's thanking people for the kind comments, and has even posted the camera settings she used to take it.

stolenphoto1_zps9e11bvpu.jpg

You'll notice that I've questioned her camera settings. This is because they're quite clearly bollocks. This suggests that she didn't actually take the photo herself.

I'm not just relying on my technical knowledge though. I'm absolutely certain that she didn't take it because the original was taken in 2009.

By me.

stolenphoto2_zpsbsvpu9dl.jpg

• Paid Members

Just the subtle one about the settings. That should be enough to let her know that I know. If she's lifted it directly from me, she'll probably recognise my name anyway.

My sister's dropped a subtle one on there too, asking her how she gets those colours. If she keeps it up that it's hers, I'll let her dig herself a bit bigger a hole before I drop her in it.

• Paid Members

Great stuff. Like how you've included her name and blurred everyone else's out. Has she taken it down?

She's posted it publicly under her name, so I feel no obligation to blur her name out.