UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members
On 28/12/2017 at 2:02 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I use that and it does me fine.  Play around with all the options and spend time with each setting.  Also, I can't recommend enough signing up to Gurushots.  It's a real fun way of getting inspired.  Hope you get a lot out of taking photo's, I know I sure do!

Never heard of Gurushots, but after having a browse at it, it looks right up my street. Cheers!

@Chest Rockwell I've just changed the format to raw, so will give Photos a go tonight and see how I get on. I got a copy of Luminar 2018 last night, and it looks decent enough, especially for batch editing. Would prefer to use Apples own software if possible though as it seems to run a lot smoother on my Macbook...

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members

Set myself a challenge of a portrait a week for this year. Fully expecting to run out of people before the middle of the year but it gives me something to aim for.

First one is my Dad (He bought me a few light modifiers for Christmas so drew the short straw to test them out.)

dad.jpg

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Without it sounding weird because it’s your dad.. I really like that photo Chokout. The lighting works really well, he has a bit of a friendly cockney gangster look about him.

good effort.

Haha thanks, He's actually a little Welshman who is slowly morphing into Mickey Rooney but he'll appreciate that. Was a really quick set up in the hall of their house to see if the lights were working so i'm happy with how it came out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm after a nice and cheap macro lens.  My girlfriend used to do loads of crafting, needle felting and the like.  She is going to start again and I thought a Macro lens might be decent to take pics of the finished articles.  I've got a Canon 600D.  Thanks for any advice, chaps!

• Paid Members

Sigma 105mm. Almost everyone in my old camera club that did macro used one of these.

If you need a cheaper option, try a set of extension tubes.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/9120340/lens-adapters/kenko/dg-extension-tube-set-362012-canon?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7nf6MLz2AIV9RbTCh3kEw88EAQYAiABEgJdxfD_BwE

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Paid Members

They work really well but you need to make sure you have a tripod and a lot of light because your depth of field becomes tiny (I mean really, really small. So shooting something that is moving with annoy you)

On the light thing, shooting outdoors will be fine but because all the tubes are doing is moving the lens further away from the camera you lose stops of light, Can't quite remember how much but off the top of my head its 12mm = 1/2 stop ,20mm = 1 stop,36mm = 2 stops. There are some cheap sets on Amazon which won't break the bank and are worth getting to play around with 

I think this was done with a 12mm extension

12002414_10156060773705484_2784733455002283283_o.jpg

Excellent, thanks for the advice.  This might sound ridiculous but I've got a tripod I got from a charity shop, it just doesn't have the thing (plate?) that the camera screws in to.  Sorry for asking twatty questions but are these easy to pick up and I assume they are specific for the tripod?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Excellent, thanks for the advice.  This might sound ridiculous but I've got a tripod I got from a charity shop, it just doesn't have the thing (plate?) that the camera screws in to.  Sorry for asking twatty questions but are these easy to pick up and I assume they are specific for the tripod?

Just search for quick release plate, you can get spares for a few quid. there's different fittings but if you can find the make / model of the tripod you should be able to google which one it needs

Failing that, I'll have a look through my big box of old bits and see if I have a spare that might fit.

Edited by chokeout

Just now, chokeout said:

Just search for quick release plate, you can get spares for a few quid. there's different fittings but if you can find the make / model of the tripod you should be able to google which one it needs

Brilliant, thanks so much for that!

• 2 weeks later...