UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

Drove out to the North Wales coast and took these at a great time for light, just as the sun was setting.  Can't remember the name of the beach but it was deserted.

IMG_1825IMG_1823

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a decent and cheapish wide angle lens?  Part of my mental health wellbeing is for me to drive us to scenic locations and take pictures, it really does me the world of good, and my gf and I would like to get more panoramic views.  Cheers!

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a decent and cheapish wide angle lens?  Part of my mental health wellbeing is for me to drive us to scenic locations and take pictures, it really does me the world of good, and my gf and I would like to get more panoramic views.  Cheers!

The cheapest option is probably the Tamron 10-24mm, but if you want to do panoramas you're better off getting a tripod and learning how to stitch images together.

If you try and use a super wide angle lens for "getting more in the image" you'll find the features of the landscape just disappear into the distance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/7/2018 at 3:53 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Drove out to the North Wales coast and took these at a great time for light, just as the sun was setting.  Can't remember the name of the beach but it was deserted.

IMG_1825

I think that's Talacre lighthouse, great place for a wander. If you fancy going a bit further up the coast, go to Bodnant Gardens, fantastic place for a look around and get some landscape stuff.

38505465_1890832847879559_42317075816906

...And another couple for my never ending portrait challenge, including NXTs own Matthew Riddle

31711528_1660459364009647_75432499839280

36630383_1970256243264452_81279141753063

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Not a photo, but on a related note. I am not sure what's going on with ladybirds this year but they are everywhere. They have swarmed the front of our house like a biblical plague. My wife is really jumpy with insects generally and it has her really freaked out. She was out there today spraying lemon juice all over the porch because apparently they hate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Incoming n00b ponce alert.

Inspired by the stuff you have in your house thread, we've decided to get some of our best photos printed and framed, al on the cheap obviously.  I was going to get some cheapo frames from charity shops and whatnot and was going to put some pics on a memory stick and Max Speilmann them fuckers.  However, will I have to resize all the pics to an 8 x 6 ratio to make sure they are stretched or squished when printed?

• Paid Members

It depends on what size your frames are. I once made the mistake of assuming 6x4 was the same ratio at 5x7 and ended up with the sides cut off.

We've got a hallway full of mixed charity shop frames that we're gradually filling, so when I decide what picture is going where, I refuse it and put the size it needs to be in the file name.

Haven't got the frames yet @Nostalgia Nonce, was going to get the prints first but never had digitally taken pictures processed before.  I guess what I'm asking is if I order them to be printed 8 x 6, will the files all be compressed or stretched to match, or are they all taken in a set ratio to begin with?  Will a lovely picture of a squirrel remain that way, or will it look like when the bloke has hooks pulling apart in Hellraiser?

I know this is really basic shit and I'm sorry for wasting everyones time.

• Paid Members

They'll resize them and then crop them to be wider or taller. I've never seen anywhere that stretches or squishes the picture to make it fit.

I'm really anal about cropping, so if I don't know what size it's going to end up being printed at, I'll make 3/4 different versions myself.

• 4 weeks later...