UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members

So, I've persuaded my other half to get me an entry level DSLR for Christmas, as I've always fancied learning how to take proper photographs . It's a Cannon and comes with an 18 to 55mm lens. Thing is,  I'm not sure where to start? Can any of you DSLR savvy folk recommend me some decent, easy to understand books that are aimed at beginners who would like to gradually progress to at least an intermediate level or better please? It's things like getting the best out of the various setting(I've no idea how to judge what ISO to use in what conditions, for example) that I'm looking for.

Also, is there any extra kit you would recommend? The camera comes with the usual stuff like memory card, case and the afore mentioned 18 to 55mm lens(as well as a cleaning kit)...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

So, I've persuaded my other half to get me an entry level DSLR for Christmas, as I've always fancied learning how to take proper photographs . It's a Cannon and comes with an 18 to 55mm lens. Thing is,  I'm not sure where to start? Can any of you DSLR savvy folk recommend me some decent, easy to understand books that are aimed at beginners who would like to gradually progress to at least an intermediate level or better please? It's things like getting the best out of the various setting(I've no idea how to judge what ISO to use in what conditions, for example) that I'm looking for.

Also, is there any extra kit you would recommend? The camera comes with the usual stuff like memory card, case and the afore mentioned 18 to 55mm lens(as well as a cleaning kit)...

Thanks in advance!

Get a light,portable tripod, you'll start using it more and more as you play around with the settings. 

The next two lenses you'll be looking at are the 70-250, which is the 'zoom' version of the kit lens you'll have, and the 50mm 1.8, which money wise is the most fun lens you'll get and will open up a lot more fun and control of your photos. Rather than look at books there are some fantastic youtube series that break down how to get off auto mode. Don't worry about iso just yet, leave that on auto and get used to aperture and shutter speed. Once you are comfortable with them you can go fully manual and see the trade off in what you want to shoot/what the iso will let you have

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, chokeout said:

Get a light,portable tripod, you'll start using it more and more as you play around with the settings. 

The next two lenses you'll be looking at are the 70-250, which is the 'zoom' version of the kit lens you'll have, and the 50mm 1.8, which money wise is the most fun lens you'll get and will open up a lot more fun and control of your photos. Rather than look at books there are some fantastic youtube series that break down how to get off auto mode. Don't worry about iso just yet, leave that on auto and get used to aperture and shutter speed. Once you are comfortable with them you can go fully manual and see the trade off in what you want to shoot/what the iso will let you have

Thanks for that chokeout! I've had a quick flick through a few video and they do look very helpful, especially the ones explaining the "exposure triangle".

Can see this hobby becoming one that I sink a lot of money into, especially as I eventually want to get a telescope to try and take some space snaps!

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Thanks for that chokeout! I've had a quick flick through a few video and they do look very helpful, especially the ones explaining the "exposure triangle".

Can see this hobby becoming one that I sink a lot of money into, especially as I eventually want to get a telescope to try and take some space snaps!

It's a money pit of a hobby but fun. No matter how much you think it'll cost, it'll get way worse haha.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

It's a money pit of a hobby but fun. No matter how much you think it'll cost, it'll get way worse haha.

...tell me about it. I haven't even got the camera yet and I'm pricing new bits up!

Will I be able to do much with the 18 to 55mm lens that comes bundled with the camera? 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Speaking of which..... Don't cheap out too much on that travel tripod. I went too cheap when I got first one and got very frustrated, and ended up buying something a bit better.

I have definitely found YouTube videos really the best way to learn as well.

The price jump in tripods might seem drastic but a good tripod is worth its money and is stopping all your kit falling on the floor. If you can afford it, get a ball head travel Manfrotto.

11 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

...tell me about it. I haven't even got the camera yet and I'm pricing new bits up!

Will I be able to do much with the 18 to 55mm lens that comes bundled with the camera? 

Yep, it'll give you more than enough to play around with to start and even when you get a couple more lenses will probably be the one you used most as an all rounder

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What's your instagram, @chokeout? Will give it a follow.  Here's now I just took of internet sensation (on my facebook at least) "NEXT DOOR'S CAT"

IMG_2706

It's dave_eddie. Glad to see you've carried on with the photography. You still enjoying it? 

• Members

Delighted to see this thread! It's been a good read. My missus was given a bit of cash and told to get a decent camera by a company she's done some commission work for so obviously I had to take it in the garden and play about with it. I know absolutely dick-all about editing photos but I was quite pleased with a few of the raw shots I managed to get. Definitely something I could get into. I did get a few nice beach shots on a weekend away we had a little while back too. Deeply satisfying hobby that I would definitely like to spend a bit more time on in some more interesting places. Keep up the good work guys! Here's a couple of my efforts in the garden.

IMG_1897.JPG

Rust_Original.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

• Paid Members
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

I keep forgetting to add it but the above series reminded me of this that I took in Nairobi that I wanted to share...

P1060622.jpg

Edit - also, I just checked out that website you posted Keith. Looks fun!

Wonderful!

This reminds me of one of my favourite things - Mr. Mamadu. A few of my friends all got flyers from this guy in London.

IlLlgtZ.jpg

I am obsessed with Mr Mamadu. Not sure if my favourite part is that he's a gifted African spiritual healer and advisor from birth, "split unwanted relationships", or how tacked on "& gambling" is there. I like to think that doesn't mean that Mr Mamadu helps you get over your gambling problem, but that he's just got a dead cert for the National.

"Split unwanted relationships" is tremendous, though. How does he do it, do you reckon?

In something not so wildly off-topic, I've recently bought a Sony DSCH300 digital camera; since my knackered old DSLR packed in at the beginning of the year, I've messed around a little with cheaper point-and-shoot digital cameras, but figured I could do with something a little more substantial. Didn't want to fork out big money for an SLR, and figured I couldn't really justify it with how infrequently it'll get used, but a decent quality compact could give me the incentive to get back into photographing stuff. I've only really tried it out around the flat so far, but going to take it out for a walk and maybe to the zoo at the weekend if the weather's decent, and eventually to gigs and wrestling shows.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Well, got my DSLR on Christmas Day, and still have no idea how to get the best out of it(but I'm sure that will come with experience and many binges on Youtube videos!). Not had chance to get out anywhere to take any interesting shots yet, but will in the next few days.

Was wondering though, what photo editing software folk recommend? I use a Mac and have had a play with the "Photos" app, but it doesn't seem to be very in depth, inless I'm missing something?

I use that and it does me fine.  Play around with all the options and spend time with each setting.  Also, I can't recommend enough signing up to Gurushots.  It's a real fun way of getting inspired.  Hope you get a lot out of taking photo's, I know I sure do!