UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members

It was 20 shots. How long was the exposure on that shot? The bushes look pretty still and clear, but the water looks nice and smooth!

20 shots! That's some stacking!

It was 2.5 seconds at f22 and iso100. Luckily it was overcast and quite still.

• 5 months later...

Hello there, welcome back to the Photography thread.

My girlfriend is looking to get back into Photography on a limited budget.  She is after a half decent digital camera for between two and three hundred.  What do you recommend?  Would there be any other bits of kit she should consider a necessity?

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I don't think so, just something cheap for a beginner.

If she's not sure what she wants nip to CEX they sell 2nd hand cameras with a 24 month warranty and do some good deals. Can get a canon 600d ( still one of the cameras I carry for work as a back up) for £200 so could probably get a couple of lenses within budget and know you'll get at least a couple of years out of them. 

22 minutes ago, chokeout said:

If she's not sure what she wants nip to CEX they sell 2nd hand cameras with a 24 month warranty and do some good deals. Can get a canon 600d ( still one of the cameras I carry for work as a back up) for £200 so could probably get a couple of lenses within budget and know you'll get at least a couple of years out of them. 

Ah, didn't know that about CEX, that sounds ideal, thanks!

• Paid Members

Is there still a London Camera Exchange in Piccadilly Gardens? They've always been good for used gear.

Just having a look on their website for an idea of prices, £219 will get her DSLR with lens, leaving her £80 to get a flash (separate flash is Digby's #1 important accessory)

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-D3100--&-18-55mm-VR-(-8424-shutter-count-)_188465.html

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Sigma-EF-610-DG-SUPER-NIKON-FIT_188418.html

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Is there still a London Camera Exchange in Piccadilly Gardens? They've always been good for used gear.

Shit a brick, forgot all about that place, I got my wife a zoom lens when we started dating 25 years ago, and it hade been there forever then.  Looks like it's  moved to Cross Street now, so you can visit without stumbling over dozens of people ripped to the tits on Spice.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we went to LSE and they were really helpful and put things into terms we could understand!  She got a Canon EOS 500D for under 200, went to the park and snapped away.  It was really therapeutic and relaxing, I think it will do her creativity the world of good!

• Paid Members

Fantastic. Great camera to start with / pick things up again with. 

Totally agree with it being therapeutic, it's a great way to switch off from things. You do realise it's going to slowly start costing you a fortune in lenses now, right?