UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members

I also have some advice, learned from painful recent experience. Those foil-wrapped sensor cleaning swab things for DSLRs... I bought some cheapo ones off ebay a few days ago. I now have a knackered sensor. Or at least, a really grungy, streaky, properly shit looking one. So, yeah. Don't be cheap with that stuff unless you really enjoy using the clone/heal tools in Lightroom.

£30 in Jessops.

I can do a basic service on a film camera, but digital innards are too easy to damage, so I don't risk it. I'll use a rocket blower, but nothing that actually comes into contact with the sensor or shutter .

I also have some advice, learned from painful recent experience. Those foil-wrapped sensor cleaning swab things for DSLRs... I bought some cheapo ones off ebay a few days ago. I now have a knackered sensor. Or at least, a really grungy, streaky, properly shit looking one. So, yeah. Don't be cheap with that stuff unless you really enjoy using the clone/heal tools in Lightroom.

£30 in Jessops.

I can do a basic service on a film camera, but digital innards are too easy to damage, so I don't risk it. I'll use a rocket blower, but nothing that actually comes into contact with the sensor or shutter .

When I used a rocket blower, the bastard thing put more dust in there then there was to begin with.

I ought to have added I've had a Jessops clean before but wasn't thrilled with the finish. Still lots of specks including 4 really obvious large ones which would have shown up on any photo. I'd gone in to the shop with about 8 of them, so I was quite disappointed they only managed to shift half of it. My local camera shop is £49 for the sensor and three lenses - much better finish. Although then I got arrogant and thought I could do it myself. Skimped on the kit and nearly knackered my sensor. Lesson learned.

I've got my camera clean this morning using the following kit

1. Dry clean with Dust Aid platinum sensor cleaner

Pretty expensive for what it is - a piece of silicone on a stick - but really was good at unsticking some of the hard to see specks. You do have to apply some downward pressure, evenly, for it to work. 

2. Wet clean with Visible Dust 1.6x swabs + VPlus liquid

Not only had I skimped on the last swabs, I'd also bought ones that were not a good fit for my sensor, they left about 1mm at the sides and really only diverted the dust, but didn't remove it. These swabs, however, were a snug fit inside the housing, though being so snug you've got to be careful not to snag the edge of the swab on the way in. Two steady swipes across the sensor, being careful not to apply much pressure, and it was job done. 

In hindsight I should have done a before and after, but I was happy with the finish anyway. There are a handful of very very tiny specks remaining but not enough to repeat the whole process to be honest. It's not like I make a living out of my photos, and I think the only person looking at my photos blown up to 1:1 is me.

• 2 months later...