Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

Had to share this photo because I couldn't believe how lucky I was to catch the little bugger just chilling out sunbathing in broad daylight - 

 

15778706248_9b50b661bf_c.jpg

 

 

Even more improbably, my dog didn't see it first and chase it away.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I also have some advice, learned from painful recent experience. Those foil-wrapped sensor cleaning swab things for DSLRs... I bought some cheapo ones off ebay a few days ago. I now have a knackered sensor. Or at least, a really grungy, streaky, properly shit looking one. So, yeah. Don't be cheap with that stuff unless you really enjoy using the clone/heal tools in Lightroom.

£30 in Jessops.

I can do a basic service on a film camera, but digital innards are too easy to damage, so I don't risk it. I'll use a rocket blower, but nothing that actually comes into contact with the sensor or shutter .

Posted

 

I also have some advice, learned from painful recent experience. Those foil-wrapped sensor cleaning swab things for DSLRs... I bought some cheapo ones off ebay a few days ago. I now have a knackered sensor. Or at least, a really grungy, streaky, properly shit looking one. So, yeah. Don't be cheap with that stuff unless you really enjoy using the clone/heal tools in Lightroom.

£30 in Jessops.

I can do a basic service on a film camera, but digital innards are too easy to damage, so I don't risk it. I'll use a rocket blower, but nothing that actually comes into contact with the sensor or shutter .

 

When I used a rocket blower, the bastard thing put more dust in there then there was to begin with.

 

I ought to have added I've had a Jessops clean before but wasn't thrilled with the finish. Still lots of specks including 4 really obvious large ones which would have shown up on any photo. I'd gone in to the shop with about 8 of them, so I was quite disappointed they only managed to shift half of it. My local camera shop is £49 for the sensor and three lenses - much better finish. Although then I got arrogant and thought I could do it myself. Skimped on the kit and nearly knackered my sensor. Lesson learned.

 

I've got my camera clean this morning using the following kit

 

1. Dry clean with Dust Aid platinum sensor cleaner

 

Pretty expensive for what it is - a piece of silicone on a stick - but really was good at unsticking some of the hard to see specks. You do have to apply some downward pressure, evenly, for it to work. 

 

2. Wet clean with Visible Dust 1.6x swabs + VPlus liquid

 

Not only had I skimped on the last swabs, I'd also bought ones that were not a good fit for my sensor, they left about 1mm at the sides and really only diverted the dust, but didn't remove it. These swabs, however, were a snug fit inside the housing, though being so snug you've got to be careful not to snag the edge of the swab on the way in. Two steady swipes across the sensor, being careful not to apply much pressure, and it was job done. 

 

 

In hindsight I should have done a before and after, but I was happy with the finish anyway. There are a handful of very very tiny specks remaining but not enough to repeat the whole process to be honest. It's not like I make a living out of my photos, and I think the only person looking at my photos blown up to 1:1 is me.

  • 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

More night shooting shenanigans.

 

Preston Docks last night

 

16610543182_0286f5bd21_b.jpg

 

16425430219_619c5f0b51_b.jpg

 

And a ( really badly done, gonna hopefully redo it) HDR photo of the castle behind my mum and dad's house.

 

16424223430_908ebe1cfd_b.jpg

Edited by chokeout
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Ever heard of that island near Mexico full of creepy dolls? Turns out there's a smaller version in England.

 

11025203_10205984944613279_5708096355729

 

This was right outside my hotel. Sleep tight.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...