UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members
there's that area of photos in between where there's a bit going on and I want to capture it all and present it well that is a bit complicated and I'm struggling.

Small groups shots, candid type stuff?

• Moderators

OK, maybe this is not quite what I was describing, but a good one to ask about as I was just looking at it - I like this photo of them signing the register, but I don't really know what to do with it to make it work. How to crop it properly it or edit it or whatever. Happy to give you a link to d/l the raw if it is easier for you to show than tell!

_1030923.jpg

You can see from my flickr what I've started to do with the other ones for reference if you want also

• Paid Members

At lot of this sort of stuff comes down to personal taste. You've got all 4 people in but it's left you with a lot of empty space around the edge. If you want to keep the same aspect ratio then I'd just crop it in as tight as you can get without chopping too much off and shift the two people with the register slightly more into the center. ( I'm knackered so I hope that makes sense) I've not got my laptop on but a cheap and cheerful crop on the ipad is

1zpkzh5.jpg

Saying that it's a photo of two people signing the register so you could crop it super tight and get rid of everything but them.

Stick a link to the raw file up and I'll have a crack at it tomorrow

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

I took over 650 photos in 2 weeks when I went to Normandy recently for the 70th anniversary of D-Day. I managed to cut them down and put them into 2 albums on Flickr - one for Normandy in general and one specifically for Band of Brothers related stuff. Here are some of my favourites:

Sunset on Omaha Beach on 5th June looking towards Pointe du Hoc.

14249652758_d78790fc9e.jpg

Part of the Mulberry Harbour on Gold Beach.

14456418043_c75709f527.jpg

The Richard Winters Leadership Memorial near Utah Beach.

14435973404_5739681305.jpg

Ranville Cemetery.

14436264015_7fa217cc44.jpg

The original Pegasus Bridge.

14432925341_d83d17da7d.jpg

Flowers left at the American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer.

14432932311_4a6dbb1335.jpg

Damian Lewis and a veteran of the 101st Airborne at the Richard Winters Memorial.

14413971726_7e9ab6d0cc.jpg

There are also photos from the Monaco GP HERE.

Edited by Monkee

• Moderators

Hey thanks for the responses I have been pretty crazy busy since that post and I haven't had a chance to respond or post the raw.

Having looked the term up online, yes - I mean candid Surf! If that is a particular term in photography as it seems to be I think that information alone will really help me find tutorials.

Seeing as I was searching for "lightroom tutorial photos of people doing stuff in small groups" and oddly enough wasn't getting what I was looking for.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Yeah.. it was cool. The first things I tried at some fields near me with good views of the city from a distance didn't work out too well (not pictured here), but these ones came out nicely.

Have had some thoughts how to improve on both these and the other shots I was trying though, so look forward to having another go.

I was going to say about your pictures above - I know you were annoyed about the rain, but I love the reflection of the colours on the ground on your Wheel photo; that wouldn't have been as nice if it wasn't wet I think, so I think it worked in your favour there.