UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members

I miss this thread so here's a massive bump of some random pics I have on my work computer.

13969294224_5dc60a59af.jpg

13968850905_ce5448c81b.jpg

13968849945_0934903d16.jpg

13965672662_af7b1c500f.jpg

13965665011_43131bab5f.jpg

13988861613_68de4747cb.jpg

13969317574_fc9dfa9018.jpg

13969338884_5ee42b0c28.jpg

The last one was one of my first attempts at doing street portrait work which is being included in an Annual Report we are designing at the minute. This was a test shot that actually came out a lot better that the tighter portrait.

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
Well timed!

I just got a proper camera at the weekend and will undoubtedly bore you with some amateurish snaps soon.

Most photos will probably be of my dog because she has no choice but to indulge my excitement at a new hobby.

What camera have you got? Dogs are obviously the best pet to take photos of, cats always look like smug pricks when photographed

• Moderators

Case in point - that leopard in your photo looks smug as fuck.

I got a second hand Panasonic GE1 micro 4/3 camera from a mate who has upgraded to a fancier machine for a decent price. Figured it is a decent level to get a couple lenses without breaking the bank and dip my toe.

Started doing some research into the lenses actually and there's so much information to absorb! Still at the stage of just understanding the terminology let alone knowing what information is relevant and important to me..

First thing I want to do is get a telephoto lens for wildlife/nature photography.. and then I guess something wide for landscapes later..?

Got a copy of Lightroom and learning how to use that too. So much new information and things to lear - it's exciting!

Any tips from you veteranos welcome, even if it is just to point me in the direction of decent articles/websites to read.

I love the colours in that third photo of yours btw. Looks great! Also, seeing all those animals in your photos makes me really I wish I had had a good camera back in January when I was in South Africa.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I'm sure Surf has done a few cracking posts on here about the basics of photography including aperture (He had diagrams and everything!) , it might even be in this thread.

Those animal/NYC shots were actually with a 28-135mm lens on a crop camera so its not a massive zoom (max about 200mm) and in lens terms is quite cheap. If you get something with that sort of range you'll find yourself keeping it on your camera 90% of the time.

The first lens most people get is a 50mm with a high aperture (I think Panasonic actually do a 20mm f1.7) that gives you the chance to mess around with depth of field, get pictures in low light and get that DSLR 'look'. A 20mm would probably be a good starting point for landscape pics on your camera as well.

• Paid Members
Those are cracking pics, Chokeout. My photography is all done on my iPhone, from a bike, and combined with my lack of any actual photographic or compositional skill, I manage to make some cracking subjects look like shit. Here's my Instagram, anyway.

These are the kind of photos I really enjoy looking at. The bits of NY you have shot look like they are straight out of a 70's grind movie.

Those are cracking pics, Chokeout. My photography is all done on my iPhone, from a bike, and combined with my lack of any actual photographic or compositional skill, I manage to make some cracking subjects look like shit. Here's my Instagram, anyway.

These are the kind of photos I really enjoy looking at. The bits of NY you have shot look like they are straight out of a 70's grind movie.

• Paid Members

That's totally what I'm aiming for. I recently changed my bike commute to 8th Avenue - takes about five minutes longer, but far more interesting.

Some great stuff on there. That's the sort of places I loved seeing when I went over there. Nothing wrong with using an iPhone, you get great pictures from them. My fav pic that I got while I was over was with my phone when I was stumbling home drunk after celebrating my brothers birthday.

rucghk.jpg

• Moderators
I'm sure Surf has done a few cracking posts on here about the basics of photography including aperture (He had diagrams and everything!) , it might even be in this thread.

Those animal/NYC shots were actually with a 28-135mm lens on a crop camera so its not a massive zoom (max about 200mm) and in lens terms is quite cheap. If you get something with that sort of range you'll find yourself keeping it on your camera 90% of the time.

The first lens most people get is a 50mm with a high aperture (I think Panasonic actually do a 20mm f1.7) that gives you the chance to mess around with depth of field, get pictures in low light and get that DSLR 'look'. A 20mm would probably be a good starting point for landscape pics on your camera as well.

The 20mm f1.7 is the one that I actually got off him with the camera, so that's what I've shot with so far.