UKFF Photography Thread

matbro1984

• Paid Members
On 1/5/2018 at 3:06 PM, chokeout said:

Set myself a challenge of a portrait a week for this year. Fully expecting to run out of people before the middle of the year but it gives me something to aim for.

First one is my Dad (He bought me a few light modifiers for Christmas so drew the short straw to test them out.)

dad.jpg

Soooooo. Exactly one year after taking the first photo, I finished my photo challenge. I aimed for 52 portraits and ended up with over 80. The quality is a bit up and down but i've actually enjoyed a year of random photos and am trying to plan what to do this year (maybe a landscape challenge)

(Sorry about the double post, Keith x)

2018.jpg

Lovely stuff!  My girlfriend got me a tripod and some decent walking boots so I think I'll be outside more this year trying to take nice scenic shots!  Did go for a walk the other day and took a few, here's one.

IMG_3214

Would love to be able to take good portraits so I always enjoy seeing what people do with portrait shots!

• Paid Members

Congrats Chokey, some absolutely cracking shots. I remember being highly impressed by the shot of your dad (top left) and the bloke on the bottom row, 2nd from left when you posted those two. Well done man.

I’m not a photographer, but I appreciate a good shot if I get one. I think I have an alright eye, but no technical knowledge. These are from the beach this morning. Just a point and click phone shot with no filters or anything.

610E6F85-89FA-4F98-8AF4-B7509B9562B0.jpeg

CDCBB943-B7D0-4425-B830-8222560788D9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 1/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Lovely stuff!  My girlfriend got me a tripod and some decent walking boots so I think I'll be outside more this year trying to take nice scenic shots!  Did go for a walk the other day and took a few, here's one.

IMG_3214

Would love to be able to take good portraits so I always enjoy seeing what people do with portrait shots!

If you're looking at doing a lot of landscapes. Have a look at getting a cheap ND filter set, lets you get more detail in the skies and take longer exposures. Can get a set off Amazon for about a tenner and opens up a lot of options for cool shots.

15894323_10157988591085484_4488945568668537646_n.jpg

Did a vintage shoot at a decommissioned Nuclear Bunker on the weekend. Was great fun and a little bit different

49545968_10161251195370484_3966104141226311680_n.jpg

49564044_10161257301105484_9038923257578782720_n.jpg

Edited by chokeout

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Picked up a Canon 750D, so playing around with it and trying to learn what it can do. I've only ever had a phone camera before. This one was last night at a friend's book launch (and the book is genuinely really good).

DxvQb8nWwAAiNl0.jpg

This is where it was taking place. A lovely (run-down) little bookshop, that's sadly closing its physical premises next week. It was packed and warm inside, and I wanted to try and capture that a little.

Dxvjjh-XQAEsvW1.jpg

I know this a part of the side of the train is an odd choice for focus, but this was the first picture I took with the camera that I actually liked.

Dxvll4EWoAA2ZRE.jpg

Best cinema in London, this. Also, figuring out shooting and framing in darkness. I'm definitely favouring one side too much, but I'll keep learning.

DxvlmsbWwAA1s01.jpg

Depth of field! It's new! It's exciting! I'm clearly overdoing it!

Dxvln5-XcAIfbmH.jpg

• Paid Members

I've been trying my hand at photography too, aswell as cooking! Trying to capture some memories of the kids in my football club. It's hard because I have to use just about the maximum zoom on the camera and getting good framing and focus is tough. Might invest in a better camera eventually. Here are a few safe to post ones I'm pleased with.

image.png.b3c8fa006136e2d2b4484bbd92753972.png

image.png.a4dd69c31ce58998b62ebcbff2f9b304.png

image.png.701e6c4bfe28c5fa79dfd5567a57ed30.png

This is my favourite. No idea why he just sat down.

image.png.f6d8a4c3db173432b4b3fac0ca072c28.png

I got a series of this one with the goalie desperately chasing the ball back. It went wide!

image.png.6a53a7c78170171c1778df16331f8b5e.png

Love this one as my daughter is the #19

image.png.9c2fa675cda4fd4af90fb0a647cd2e02.png

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

After setting myself a portrait challenge last year to give me a reason to go out and shoot something different I have decided on this years challenge and bought...*dramatic pause*...a medium format film camera, more specifically this bad boy.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm giddy with excitement about messing around with film again. The last time i used it for anything was part of my degree 19 years so it's going to be interesting to see how long it takes for everything to come back to me.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Will you be developing the film yourself?

I have done many years ago but i've not got the room in my current house and i'd hate to destroy the negatives with bad processing so not at first. My plan at the minute is to just take it on the shoots i'm going to and do one roll (about 10 shots) and try and get one keeper from it.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, chokeout said:

After setting myself a portrait challenge last year to give me a reason to go out and shoot something different I have decided on this years challenge and bought...*dramatic pause*...a medium format film camera, more specifically this bad boy.

maxresdefault.jpg

*Drools*

Although I see you've gone for the girly pentaprism finder. Real men use waist level finders and miss shots while they try and work out which way to turn and tilt.

yashica.jpg

• Paid Members

Haha. That's not my pic because my lens hasn't arrived yet.  I've not got the prism viewfinder, if I'm getting a medium format box camera then I'll be damned if I'm not using the waist viewfinder and looking like a total hipster while doing it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Saw my family recently, and took some pictures - getting to grips with this camera more now, and I'm enjoying it. Love this picture of my two nephews - the oldest had that hoodie already, so my girlfriend and I bought the younger one the babygrow. Getting them to stay still for pictures was a challenge, but worth it.

D2uzDuDX0AIYqZE.jpg

And on the other end of the spectrum, my 87 year-old grandmother - I'm really happy with this one and how the light/shade worked on it. I've always been a bit more point-and-click in the past, but I'm learning a lot and doing more with them.

IMG-2981.jpg

• Paid Members

Took my medium format out on a shoot on the weekend to get to grips with it. 

So much more stressful metering manually and planning exposure comp but I was just happy that the film developed and was actually exposed! 

IMG_0005.JPG