Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Visually it looked fucking awful. As mentioned above, surely that's nowhere near finished?

it's a shame as casting wise I think it's spot on. If only this lot were in the hands of someone competent enough to pull it off.

Is Snyder doing the upcoming Wonder Woman film? The trailer for that felt different to the Justice League one.

Snyder has got input into it, but Patty Jenkins is directing it.

im thinking of starting to watch daredevil or Luke cage are they any good

Both Daredevil series are great and worth watching (if you are a fan of Daredevil or Punisher (he is in the 2nd series) then you should really like them). Jessica Jones is very good and worth a watch as well. Have not got around to watching Luke Cage (or Iron Fist) yet.

Edited by DJM

• Moderators

im thinking of starting to watch daredevil or Luke cage are they any good

Daredevil's really great. The first season's amazing, and there's a 4 episode story arc in the second season that's probably the peak of onscreen Marvel so far.

Luke Cage, on the other hand, is just dull. They should have gone full-on Blaxploitation with it, but didn't, and I really struggled to get through the end. Jessica Jones is pretty shit too, although most people don't share that opinion.

Patty has such an strange resume, directed Monster in '03 then that's about it movie-wise with a few TV episodes inbetween then and now.

I'm with Astro on Luke Cage, they played it much too safe and didn't go either full Blaxploitation or make any genuine political commentary but just lightly dabbled in the two. Legion is where it's at right now for me, a pretentious twat would call it the thinking mans Marvel show but it does edge along that way. Plus Amber Midthunder :wub:

Edited by Merzbow

Legion is fucking brilliant.

It's superhero, but contingent on a rational assumption that 'Superhero' isn't real and a belief in it is a sign of mental illness, whilst at the same time being shot from the perspective of the one character who isn't sure which is real. It's just such a clever angle to look at superhero type shit from. And it's psychedelic as fuck.

My favourite show in years.

• Paid Members

You won't be disappointed. There are times when it drags a bit. Don't let that put you off. It's very well made and an enjoyable watch. I liked the way they acknowledged the other Marvel shows, over the two series.

The first half Luke Cage was ace. Mahershala Ali was a stunning villain. It slumped in the second half because of the shoehorned family ties in the replacement big bad, but I thought the social issues aspects were well done. A segment with Luke encountering two cops is really topical without being wink-wink.

Jessica Jones is the other way around. First half is fairly slow going while they set everything up, but once the villain turns up, it just explodes into a brilliant and terrifying psychological thriller, with commentary on modern masculinity and a really strong female lead.

I loved season 1 of Daredevil, but Daredevil's been my favourite superhero since I was a kid and I always figured I was a little biased seeing such a good show carrying the Daredevil name. Jessica Jones was good, but it was too long, 8-10 episodes would have worked better. This is a running theme with the Marvel Netflix shows, they don't need to be 13 episodes and they almost all suffer for either dragging out stories and repeating beats, or for changing the dynamic up too much in the second half.

I liked season 2 of Daredevil, but I didn't like the second half nearly as much as the first. I thought the Elektra and Hand stories were poorly executed and I wasn't a big fan of the portrayal of the Punisher apart from in the first four episodes. Luke Cage had a similar problem in that I loved the first half and thought the second half was only OK, but I still really liked it overall. And maybe I just have low standards, but I enjoyed the hell out of Iron Fist. It had a slow start but I thought it built well and dealt with the Hand much better than Daredevil.

Ranking them in preference I'd say:
1. Daredevil Season 1

2. Luke Cage

3, Iron Fist

4. Jessica Jones

5. Daredevil Season 2