Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

Remember when David kept harping on and on about how stupid I was for describing Kimbo as a huge star? 

Are you sure?

Surely David was on about his fighting ability, and wires got crossed. If someone made a list of the top 10 biggest stars in American MMA history, Kimbo would make the top 10. Say what you will about his skill, but the fucker draws. 

As does King Kenny. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Remember when David kept harping on and on about how stupid I was for describing Kimbo as a huge star?

Are you sure?

Surely David was on about his fighting ability, and wires got crossed. If someone made a list of the top 10 biggest stars in American MMA history, Kimbo would make the top 10. Say what you will about his skill, but the fucker draws.

As does King Kenny.

Nope, it was specifically about his drawing capabilities. I'd be quoting the list of the most watched fights in history, a list Kimbo features heavily on, and he still wouldn't get it. "Yeah, and where is he now?" would be a regular nonsensical point, as if that somehow changed the facts. I'd like him to ask that now though. Because where Kimbo is now is still pulling in record breaking numbers.

Kimbo has done a Shamrock, in that he's done business in multiple eras. Kimbo was drawing huge ratings almost a decade ago, yet he returned to MMA last year, and still had drawing power.

Shamrock is the standard bearer for longevity though. He was setting PPV records with Royce in the mid-90's, then with Tito in the mid-00's, and is now a decade later he's drawing records ratings with Bellator. Even more amazingly, Shamrock has been a novelty fighter since 2002 - nearly 15 years ago. 

• Paid Members

If he lives that long, Shamrock will probably still be fighting in his late 50s for whatever rich blokes MMA league starts up for a month or two. If he was going to retire, he'd have done it by now. He's a lifer. Shamrock is done as a fighter, but I bet he's one of those nutters who could still smash up anyone in a bar fight. He's got those eyes that suggest you'd be missing body parts if you started with him.

Is Tito and Ken a possibility for Bellator? I imagine that would draw a huge number, with the whole 10 year anniversary of their last fight.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Is Tito and Ken a possibility for Bellator? I imagine that would draw a huge number, with the whole 10 year anniversary of their last fight.

I'm going to guess no. It would be too much of a mismatch at this stage, even for Bellator. Tito is not world-class these days, but he can still perform at a competitive level. Ken is strictly a novelty fighter that is paired with other novelty fighters (but as said, you wouldn't want to cross him). Stranger things have happened though. 

As crazy as it sounds, I honestly think Kurt Angle will fight in Bellator. Both parties have left the possibility open. If it indeed happens, Ken will probably get a phone call. 

• Paid Members

I think Herschel Walker is gonna be the next guy to fight in Bellator.

From the reaction of Coker post-fight it genuinely looked like he might be done with the novelty fights, the network may have a say in that though.

What a weird position they are in.

Do what makes money. MORE NOVELTY FIGHTS! Get em all in.

It's clearly Bellator's MO, but at the same time they need to keep it fresh and at least somewhat respectable. What we saw at the weekend was neither.

I think Coker knows he went too far with that Dada 5000 guy. The guy didn't have a clue, and could actually have died due to his own stupidity and inexperience. That kind of thing isn't worth risking for a decent rating.

They need to move to the next level of fan-friendly fights in my opinion. The likes of Rampage, Chael Sonnen, Wanderlei, Fedor, Cro Cop and so on. 

Those dudes have name value but aren't that far removed from their prime that it's embarrassing, especially if they're competing with each other.

As for Kimbo? I don't know what you do with him. He struggled to beat a guy who's sub-par and who was suffering from dehydration and kidney failure. Is there anyone out there who's slightly credible that he'd be competitive against? Any of the names I mentioned above would fucking kill him.

Aside from Bob Sapp I can't think of anyone who Kimbo could have a realistic chance against in this day & age.

One thing big dave has suggested with the freak show bouts is if a guy's not quite upto scratch for a full bout, make them 3 minute rounds rather than five?

If a guy is coming into a fight in the shape that Kimbo and Dada were in they shouldn't be fighting, simple as that. There's a limit to what should be allowed, and that limit is supposed to be set by the athletic commission.

Guys need to at least be healthy enough and in shape enough to actually fight.

As for Sean Gannon? He's looking like a white Dada 5000. 265lbs, has to cut weight to make heavyweight, has three fights under his belt and hasn't been in the cage in eleven years!