The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

The Opeth announcement got leaked a few days ago apparently, but there was no mention of it being a ā€œfan pickedā€ set. That gimmick always just ends up being a Greatest Hits set any way, but that will still be a great show.

I might head down for that day, but thereā€™s not much else there that would make me fork out for the full weekendĀ 

Forgot Clutch will be the special guest on before Opeth so that entire day looks the most stacked to me so far.

Opeth's greatest hits would still be a mega set. They've been doing one song per album in their recent sets so it'd be interesting to see if fans push them towards pre-Watershed stuff. Give me Bleak off Blackwater Park and Godhead's Lament off Still Life please. Although I'd love to see them play Sorceress live.

6 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Opethā€™s greatest hits would still be a mega set. They've been doing one song per album in their recent sets so it'd be interesting to see if fans push them towards pre-Watershed stuff. Give me Bleak off Blackwater Park and Godhead's Lament of Still Life please. Although I'd love to see them play Sorceress live.

Oh donā€™t for a second think that I wouldnā€™t be down for whatever they go with, Opeth are firmly placed in my top 5 bands. All I was meaning that people shouldnā€™t be expecting some kind of ultra deep cut to make it in unless they specifically decide to do so. Depends how they go about allowing the vote to happen I suppose.

If Iā€™m going to do a more than one day Festival next year, itā€™ll more likely be Fortress Festival if I can snag a ticket. The second batch of Early Bird tickets have sold out already.Ā 

How shocking was the announcement that OPETH were the last headliner for bloodstock hahaha (I love that it was big green coach that fucked it up and leaked it a week ago)Ā 

I was thinking about doing bloodstock this year because previous years have got me interested and at least one or two of the headliners was appealing for me but this year is a massive dud for me on that front.

Architects headlining is the main one that has really thrown me, they just aren't the sort of headliners that suit that festival at all. I've been a fan of architects since hollow crown and seen them tones of times over the years but they aren't for me anymore and seeing their sub headline spot at download this year and how they choose to go with the set and choice of song's for it just proved to be they aren't that band for me anymoreĀ 

Out of the first two announcements the only bands I am excited for is malevolence and clutch and I've seen both bands a good amount before so not really grabbing me to go with the festival next year.

I'm surprised they didn't go with while she sleeps for a headliner but I'm guessing either slam dunk or 2000 trees have got themĀ 

6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Hatebreed will be fun just to hear the metalheads complain about the kids hardcore pitting.

They should be used to it by now. This will be at least the third time Hatebreed have played the festival, and Jasta did a solo turn one year too, itā€™s not as if itā€™s an out of left field booking.

Honestly Iā€™d be fine with them booking a few more hardcore bands. Sick Of It All out in the sunshine would great fun

Hardcore bands playing bigger metal festivals has been the norm for a while now. On a lower level (locally to me at least) there's a lot more mixing of the two too.

Anyone moaning about it these days needs to put down their Manowar LPs and get over it.

Edited by King Mal the Glorious

32 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

I saw Biohazard at Donnington in 1994.

Why anyone would think it's a new phenomenon is a mystery to me.

Because thereā€™s still people who think Bloodstock should be nothing but bands singing about wizards & elves.

Granted they are an incredibly small minority these days, but every announcement they make the loudest noise about the festival ā€œnot being metal anymoreā€

Edited by WyattSheepMask

There's a serious amount of eye-rolling at pits 'round these parts and it's the stupidest thing. I hate using the phrase "It goes with the territory" but...well...yeah. I'm obviously all for self policing people acting the clown in the things, but seeing people old enough to know better scoffing and sneering at the young crowd going for it is shite carry on. Especially when those same people will get into it anyway under the right conditions/inebriation but doing it early on in the evening to some local lads is somehow more embarrassing.Ā 

That's just classic subculture eating into itself though. I'm sure we've all bumped shoulders with people at festivals who've gone on miserable tirades about how smelly and thick metalheads are, whilst delivering you their tirade literally sweating through their battle vest drinking from a horn.Ā 

• 4 weeks later...