DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Sky Premiere has the following this week.

Saturday 10th - Friday 16th October

Angel (2007)

Stone Of Destiny

Eagle Eye

Pineapple Express

Thick As Thieves

Looks really shit this week. What do you guys think?

In memory of Snowball, least I thought you had a soul, lad.

Pineapple Express is ok, bit boring at points though.

Went to see Zombieland last night, and was really disappointed by it. Started off brilliantly, but went downhill very quickly - the jokes alternated between not being funny enough and being too American, so the punchlines were lost on most people in the audience. Sure there were a few chuckles here and there, but most of the lines fell pretty flat. The ways of dispatching the zombies were all a bit old-hat, nowhere near as inventive as they could have been given the locations they found themselves in. And I felt that they didn't make nearly enough out of the theme park situation either - it could have been so well done if only they'd spent more time there instead of taking the best part of 45 minutes just to set up the interchangeable characters who didn't even matter anyway.

Then again, maybe it was an audience full of hardcore zombie lovers who just found it all a little bit tame. There were some foetuses at the front who seemed to enjoy it though.

• Paid Members

I thought Zombieland felt more like a pilot for a TV show, then I found out that it was originally intended to be a TV series. They said they made alterations to turn it into a film, but it still felt like an extended pilot. I expected more, what with how highly rated it is, but it wasn't exactly shite either.

Damage. Yes the straight to DVD film staring Steve Austin. His acting was a bit wooden at times but nothing to complain about too much. Not a great deal of depth to the story and parts were a bit laughable and confusing at times but you learn enough about the characters as the film progresses. Plenty of violence, but no nudity. I'll give it 3 wing mirrors out of 5.

• Paid Members
Why did they change it to a movie? A show about a zombie outbreak could be really great.

Probably because there aren't many avenues for it on American telly, what with the gore and all.

hbo_logo4.jpg

*Makes HBO noise*.

What with Tru Blood having vampires and werewolves and shit, I think maybe HBO felt that if they added Zombies to the line up they'd have turned into ECW on SciFi. And nobody wants that.

I guess now is a good time to admit to having watched an awful film at the weekend. I feel like I spend more time watching crap movies than actually decent ones that are more worthy of my time. I really have to draw a bold line at how far I am willing to take this in the name of irony.

Lost River Lake was a thriving resort... Until they discovered Piranhas.

Killer Mutant Piranhas, in fact.

I honestly don't feel the time investment was worthwhile enough to give a detailed plot summary about this movie. JLM, who also had the misfortune of watching this, and who is much better at summarising these films in a way that does the time wasted watching this justice, will likely give one. But here is a basic summary, which contains spoilers for anyone who really cares.

Some small time female detective who is 2/3rds bloodhound is set on the trail of a ruthless corporate tycoon's missing niece. They've gone missing in some remote rural village. She ends up dragging this unlikeable 'protagonist' along to investigate some dodgy shack deep in the bowels of the hills. This event culminates in genetically altered piranhas, which have an insatiable appetite for human flesh and an ability to survive in salt water, being released into the river, and a frantic scientist being brain damaged by a mini aquarium. The only way to stop them is, for some contrived reason, to ride a rickety raft up river to warn people of the approach of these piranhas. Numerous dogs, white trash, racist negroes etc. are laid to waste by the piranhas, with the protagonists predictably arriving too late to be of any real help. The scientist commits suicide in the most baffling fashion. Many, many second-long shots of piranhas advancing shown to the sounds of a dissonant string chord are shown, as well as the legs of insouciant, immortal children frolicking in the resort upstream. High quality tension. Lots more boring stuff happens in between, but eventually the piranhas wreak havoc at the resort and almost get to the sea only to be poisoned by the main hero's release of toxic waste from some rig, which is about the only good thing he does. Also, the entire endeavour is rendered futile, as the film suggests the piranhas made it to sea where they can terrorise the nation's water dwellers anyway. Ugh. Questionable event writing. Pointless extra characters. Loathsome protagonists. Irritating film.

Oh CEX...

• Paid Members

That about covers it. The fact that the dog died in a horrible manner was a brave move because, along with children, family dogs tend to do alright in these movies. Not as well as children (Michael Myers has offed a dog in his time, and Will Smith's dog in I am Legend didn't make it), but to see a dog dive into the water and then get piranha'd to death was quite an ordeal.

I will do pros and cons now:

Pro: Loathesome protagonist who looks like Rory Bremner suffers a horrible piranha mauling.

Con: He survives and his wounds look less severe than they should.

Pro: Evil tycoon guy is a total bad-ass and the best character in the film.

Con: He witnesses the carnage he has caused and kills himself.

Pro: Mila Kunis in a swimsuit!

Con: It's 1995 you fucking pervert.

Pro: Mila Kunis has had a decent career since this movie.

Con: Mila Kunis was in this movie.

Pro: A metal song was written just for this film.

Con: It's one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life and it gets stuck in one's head.

Pro: Boobies!

Con: They're either a) attached to an annoying average-looking miscast eye candy or b) surgically "enhanced" to the point of gross deformity.

Pro: Fat kids trying to get out of lakes at speed!

Con: They make it.

Pro: A Jet Ski crashes into a boat and causes a Hiroshima-esque explosion.

Con: They should have spent that money on convincing piranhas.

Pro: The government initiative to create the mutant piranhas that can survive in any kind of water is called "operation razor teeth".

Con: There's actually no downside to that. I'll give them that one. It's brilliant.

Watched Pride & Glory.

Good film that just kinda fizzled out at the end, like a cheap firework, I love Edward Norton, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with him in ti I didn't like, 25th Hour maybe? Although he was great, film was shite, anyway, a top cast in P&G too, just thought it kinda built well, then just didn't really know how to finish, bit like Berbatoss, right?

So..

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I was actually fine with the death of Jimmy (Farrell) live by the sword, die by it, innit? However there was no reaction to it, just the Teirney lot going into the court. Kinda didn't like that.

Also watched Ghost on Anytime.

Ahhhh what a great movie, even now. I mean seen it pure times but that bit where Willie goes to see Oda Mae & he says you tell me what my name is, Sam tells her & she blurts out "Willie"

LOVE his reaction.

So yeah, class movie.

are you guys talking about the 1995 remake of pirahna?

i like the 1st version they did it.

don't watch pirahna 2 you ll hate that more. the pirahna's fly in that

watched 100 feet and skinwalkers on sky today

100 feet wasn't too bad but i couldn't get into skinwalkers wasn't a patch on other werewolf movies like silver bullet and an american werewolf in london