DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Isn't ti Elijah wood in a film where 9 individuals group together to save the world?

yeh that's 9. Ive just been reading theories over on imdb about the movie and there's some really interesting stuff there. The movie is kinda easy to follow in terms of basic story, but the 9 'characteristic's' thing is pretty clever, i'd like to read a little more into it.

Well tomorrow I plan on watching another film with Elijah Wood where 9 individuals band together to save the world. Only part one but I will actually watch, you know, all of it, so as to not suffer the wrath of the angry keyboard warrior, that I didn't watch all of it. And then I shall report back to you kind sirs

I just watched Haute Tension. This movie's typically grouped with Inside, which I absolutely love, so I decided to check it out based on that and because of a few recommendations. But the similarities to Haute Tension are really only at the beginning, with the home invasion, and in terms of the violence, as it's really intense. Basically, a girl stays over with her friend and her family. A killer turns up, murders the family, takes the daughter captive, and her friend tries to save her. So, it starts off like Inside, but there's a much greater slasher flick influence/structure.

The plus points are that it's visually quite interesting at times, the gorey scenes do make an impression, and it's generally pretty entertaining. And then it just completely falls apart thanks to an ultra weak ending. Without spoiling anything, the ending is so weak that it makes no sense, lacks all kinds of subtlety, and ruins a theme that could have potentially been good. Although the ending alone isn't solely to blame for the latter, and there are weaknesses in other departments before it too, it's definitely the biggest blow. So, yeah, the ending pretty much spoils what could have been an alright, but by no means great, movie.

Edited by Vice

Wrong Turn 3 Left For Dead-I loved the 1st flim and 2nd was pretty good. hadn't read anything about this but though hey i ll give it a go turns out wrong turn 3 is really good. its never going to win an award but as a series of movies wrong turn hasn't gone down hill just yet. the story starts with the normal group of kids out on canoue's(sp?) (small boats) when they stop to find a camp grown they are picked off by the mutant in the woods with his cross bow (staright through the boobs of the hot girl goes one of the arrows). only one girl gets away. flim then goes to a prison where they are getting ready to move a prisoner. you can guess the rest. the prisoners/cops get attacked by the mutant with his barbed wire/their bus crashes. they all get picked off one by one in the wood as they try to look for help. the gore is still there, in one death one of the prisoners steps into a ring of barbed wire where it springs up onto a hook which is conexted to the van the mutant drives. he than drives the prisoner who is cut to pieces along the road and lowers the hook as they go so eventally he gets dragged on the road.

it gets in the 1st movie as the prisoners and cops try to find the ranger station in the middle of the woods as its up high in the tree's but they find it burnt to the grow (which happened when it was set on fire in wrong turn 1)

it ends leaving it open for a wrong turn 4 as they think the mutant is dead but at the end you seel someone holding a sort of weapon and attacks the only prisoner left (i don't think its the mutant though casue he looked pretty dead in the next to last scene)

The Hangover-Awesome comedy movie. it got a little boring towards the end but some of the small jokes where wicked. the bit where they had the little baby pretanting to jack off was funny as was the bit when the naked japanese man attacks them and you hear the comment "hey i m with you i hate godzilla to" classic. according to some websites there is going to be a 2nd

Re-watched all Spaced with commentary on and watch the 1996 TV series Asylum recently too.

Where did you watch that? I fear the answer will be some online torrent or something, but old-school dopps is hoping it's been released on dvd. :/

• Moderators
Re-watched all Spaced with commentary on and watch the 1996 TV series Asylum recently too.

Where did you watch that? I fear the answer will be some online torrent or something, but old-school dopps is hoping it's been released on dvd. :/

This time, the saying "things are always in the last place you look" seems to be true. All the episodes of Asylum are available on Norman Lovett's website.

I decided to spend halloween watching movies, but as seen as I watch horror movies most other days of the year, I went for something different.

First up was Zodiac, I hadnt heard much good from this movie but it had me gripped up to the end, there was nothing really notable about any of the performances apart from Jake Gyllenhall is a good leading man. hes not the typical hollywood front man but he did well here. The only movie i could think to compare it too was Capote (I havnt seen the movie of In Cold Blood so its close) and the only differentiating part was the lead performances. (Capote had a pretty much career performance from Phillip Seymour Hoffman)

I followed that up with Pride and Glory, I didnt even know this movie existed until friday when I saw it on the shelves of blockbuster and thought id give it a go. A kinda typical dirty cop movie that if it wasn't for Edward Norton and Colin Farell probably would be in bargain bins, I liked it but it wasn't anything to write home about.

For tomorrow after work, I have the Jurassic Park collection. because Dinosaurs are awesome.

Paranormal Activity - I enjoyed it for most part but it is not as great as the Americans hyped it up to be. There are a few parts that might make people jump and the effects were done very well, however the dialogue can be tedious/disjointed at times and they could of made more of what they scripted.

At some point today I will be watching UP.

• Moderators
Paranormal Activity - I enjoyed it for most part but it is not as great as the Americans hyped it up to be. There are a few parts that might make people jump and the effects were done very well, however the dialogue can be tedious/disjointed at times and they could of made more of what they scripted.

The dialogue was all improvised.

Sums it up then.

• Moderators

Sums it up then.

Eh, it's supposed to be stuff some dude shot in his house on a camcorder. Isn't dialogue in real life disjointed? If they'd spoken in that perfectly timed movie way, where nobody steps on the end of each other's sentences and everyone always has a perfectly timed quip or noble speech, it would have destroyed the illusion.

Sums it up then.

Eh, it's supposed to be stuff some dude shot in his house on a camcorder. Isn't dialogue in real life disjointed? If they'd spoken in that perfectly timed movie way, where nobody steps on the end of each other's sentences and everyone always has a perfectly timed quip or noble speech, it would have destroyed the illusion.

I never stated that the film should have been perfectly lined out. I also never asked of it to be a glorious masterpiece, I just said that the film could of been done a little better.

I never stated that the film should have been perfectly lined out. I also never asked of it to be a glorious masterpiece, I just said that the film could of been done a little better.

I think you're maybe expecting something which the film never set out to achieve, but I haven't seen it myself yet so I'll comment no more.

The Ten

Film from David Wain (director of Role Models, top comedian in his own right) about the ten commandments, with short films illustrating them all. The stories are very clever and mix together well, but some of the skits are better than others and it can be a smidge uneven. But still awesome. Paul Rudd, Gretchen Mol, Famke Janssen, Winona Ryder, Liev Schrieber, most of the cast of Reno 911 and others turn up and have a laugh.