DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Pride And Glory is absolute shit.

Ahh, felt rushed, like a 3 hour movie squeezed into a 2 hour one. Like the introducing of some of the characters, the Reporter & the rival drug dealer etc, yet they did nowt with them.

I mean, could have worked if they didn't try to get all their shit in.

I thought Zombieland felt more like a pilot for a TV show, then I found out that it was originally intended to be a TV series. They said they made alterations to turn it into a film, but it still felt like an extended pilot. I expected more, what with how highly rated it is, but it wasn't exactly shite either.

I don't kmnow whether it was because I saw this comment before I saw the film but I would definately agree with it. It didn't have that film-ness about it, but was a still very good

I just watched The Strangers and wow...what a tense, hopeless, despairing picture that is. I was kind of expecting it to be a bit more mainstream, like a slightly scarier Panic Room with less plot and more violence, but nope...it's all tension and terror cranked to eleven. Quite beautifully orchestrated in terms of tension and scares, too, so if that's your thing I'd recommend it. If you don't like that feeling though, don't bother. There's practically no story at all. It's just an 80-minute exercise in suspense techniques and trying to scare you out of your mind.

Watch in pitch darkness with all your doors unlocked and see how long you can keep them that way.

Edited by textonly

I just watched The Strangers and wow...what a tense, hopeless, despairing picture that is. I was kind of expecting it to be a bit more mainstream, like a slightly scarier Panic Room with less plot and more violence, but nope...it's all tension and terror cranked to eleven. Quite beautifully orchestrated in terms of tension and scares, too, so if that's your thing I'd recommend it. If you don't like that feeling though, don't bother. There's practically no story at all. It's just an 80-minute exercise in suspense techniques and trying to scare you out of your mind.

Watch in pitch darkness with all your doors unlocked and see how long you can keep them that way.

I think I might have moaned about it in the first film thread, but I thought it was fucking garbage. It set out to deliver everything you described above, and acheived absolutely none of it. And as far as these sorts of OMGTHISWILLMAKEYOUJUMP films go, it's not that great either.

Just ordered Doghouse and Awaydays on dvd from play. Im more than aware that Doghouse is meant to be a bit pants, but im a massive fan of Steven Graham, who's also in Awaydays, which other than that, I know nothing about. Oh, and thats it's about football hooligans.

Anybody seen them and know what im in for?

I thought Zombieland felt more like a pilot for a TV show, then I found out that it was originally intended to be a TV series. They said they made alterations to turn it into a film, but it still felt like an extended pilot. I expected more, what with how highly rated it is, but it wasn't exactly shite either.

I don't kmnow whether it was because I saw this comment before I saw the film but I would definately agree with it. It didn't have that film-ness about it, but was a still very good

I kind of see what you mean. I loved it all the same though, laughed all the way through. Especially at

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Girl: Do you have any regrets?

Bill Murray: Well, maybe Garfield

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

seen Die Hard 4.0 this morning, or lets call it Live free or die young for any stateside readers.

Take John McClane from the film and its a bog standard 2 hours action flick.

Leave John McClane in the film and its a bog standard 2 hour standard action flick.

And as action flicks go its good, even boardering on real good. But like any bog standard action flick it does rely on the viewer turning their brain off and accepting that any man can balance on the tail fin of an F15 Jet while hes just been shot to pieces by a chain gun and didnt recieve so much as a scratch.

Kevin smith (of Silent Bob) appears in a nice little suitable part that allows a mark out moment.

The undertones of everyman is a hero are not hinted at here, they`re rammed down your throat. Its a very american movie using alot of 4th of july, flag waving, 911 stuff but its worth 2 hours of your life.

Just ordered Doghouse and Awaydays on dvd from play. Im more than aware that Doghouse is meant to be a bit pants, but im a massive fan of Steven Graham, who's also in Awaydays, which other than that, I know nothing about. Oh, and thats it's about football hooligans.

Anybody seen them and know what im in for?

For the record, if anybody cares, Both are utter SHIT!

Stephen Graham, hang your head in shame!

Edit:

Thought I may aswell expand on my previous statement as im bored during lunch.

Doghouse: On paper, and even from the trailer looked to have a decent cast and fun story. As already mentioned Im a big fan of Stephen Grahams work, and also like Noel Clarke. As much as he is universally hated on here, I also dont mind Danny Dyer, as, despite being limited, he is atleast half decent at what he does. It's safe to say that this film misses the mark on all accounts, It's not funny, it's not gory, and it's just not very good. Theres little to no character development, and it doesnt even matter when any of them die or get hurt anyway because your not given reason to care. The whole film just felt very rushed, which is a shame as it has enough talent to at the very least be a decent film to watch with your mates whilst pissed/stoned. I watched it after a few bevvies and found myself nodding off halfway through and havent even bothered to re-watch to see if i missed anything...as I quite frankley dont care. The zombirds look pretty cool I guess, but thats perhaps the only saving grace.

To summarise how dumb and rushed this film was, one character explains that if the zombirds cant see you, they forget your there......brilliant.

Awaydays: Low budget bromance/ footy hooligan film set in the late 70's adapted from a novel. I wont go into too much detail about the film as it quite frankley doesnt deserve it. Suffers from serious lack of character development, and fails because, like Doghouse, you dont really give a shit what happens to any of the characters. The scouse accents at times are hard to understand, and it just seems like the director wanted to pimp out the Joy division filled soundtrack. The film thinks it's more dramatic than it is, and whilst im sure the novel probably explains everything a lot better, Awaydays is a prime example of a film failing to capture the point of the book. Somewhere in this film, is a good story that im sure comes off better in the novel, which I now want to buy as I dont for one second beleive it will be as bad as this flick. Stephen Graham, the only real "name" actor in this film, is criminally wasted, and Im quite shocked he agreed to be a part of it.

Edited by OI OI SAVELOY

In Bruges

This is the first film with Colin Farrell in I enjoyed. All the characters (Bar the prossies.) fit well and I liked the black humour throughout. Should of caught it when everyone else did really.

I've always been put off of the sequel. Might actually give it a go now.

Don't be expecting too much, and you'll probably have a fine time.

In reference to the Blair Witch 2 conversation a month ago, I got round to watching it last night. I thought the idea and delivery of the film was pretty good, some parts were pretty weird and a few jump out of your skin moments. Overall I didn't think it was too bad, although it didn't explain too much. I mean, were they collectively taken over by some kind of witchery or were they lying? As long as you don't think too much into it it's worth a watch.