DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

The International.

Meh was alright, was really good untill the museum shoot out & the loss of what by far the best character in the movie.

State of play.

Liked it, the twist at the end was a bit out there though.

:yinyang: I've just been to an advanced screening of the new Disney/Pixar movie Up and it was fantastic. I'd say it the closest Pixar have come to beating Toy Story in terms of how great it is. It was both funny and genuinely quite sad in places(the couple sitting next to me were openly weeping at one point.) I would highly recommend it to everyone whether you're a fan of Disney movies or not

I'm currently one hour and 54 seconds into Rain Man.

Over rated imo.

I was watching a youtube video on Kim Peek last night (part of the inspiration behind the film) so I thought I would give the film a go. I'm only an hour into it but I've stopped it to have something to eat and I don't think I will watch the rest of it anytime soon. It's very boring, nothing is really happening. Dustin Hoffman is talking a load of bollocks and Tom Cruise is quite enraged by this, which is essentially the last 30 minutes of the film . Maybe if I keep watching there will be some heart wrenching conclusion to the film that will make it worth while but I am struggling to get into it at the moment.

Just to add, I think the reason I'm struggling to get into it is that it's tremendously impressive to see a genuine austic savant tell you these amazing facts but to see Dustin Hoffman pretend to do it in a movie is not very.

I also started to watch the Wrestler last night which was rather average as well. This is why I'm not a film person.

Edited by frank

• Moderators
I'm currently one hour and 54 seconds into Rain Man.

Over rated imo.

I was watching a youtube video on Kim Peek last night (part of the inspiration behind the film) so I thought I would give the film a go. I'm only an hour into it but I've stopped it to have something to eat and I don't think I will watch the rest of it anytime soon. It's very boring, nothing is really happening. Dustin Hoffman is talking a load of bollocks and Tom Cruise is quite enraged by this, which is essentially the last 30 minutes of the film . Maybe if I keep watching there will be some heart wrenching conclusion to the film that will make it worth while but I am struggling to get into it at the moment.

Just to add, I think the reason I'm struggling to get into it is that it's tremendously impressive to see a genuine austic savant tell you these amazing facts but to see Dustin Hoffman pretend to do it in a movie is not very.

I also started to watch the Wrestler last night which was rather average as well. This is why I'm not a film person.

You'd be more impressed with Hoffman if you've seen Gigli. The guy who plays the retard in that is awful, and definitely the 3rd worst actor in that film.

Transformers 2.

Take out the ethnic twins and Optimus Prime spouting "punk ass Decepticons" and it's an OK action flick.

Seriously it could have really done without the twins. And what Prime said above almost made me want to turn it off at that point. It really ground my gears.

Also, am I right in thinking that Bumblebee started to talk properly at the end of the first one? And if so was there a specific reason why he was talking in radio again?

• Paid Members
:yinyang: I've just been to an advanced screening of the new Disney/Pixar movie Up and it was fantastic. I'd say it the closest Pixar have come to beating Toy Story in terms of how great it is. It was both funny and genuinely quite sad in places(the couple sitting next to me were openly weeping at one point.) I would highly recommend it to everyone whether you're a fan of Disney movies or not

I haven't enjoyed a Pixar film since Toy Story, come to think of it. "A Bugs Life", "Finding Nemo" and "Wall E" never really did it for me. They were overhyped to the point I didn't really enjoy them.

• Paid Members

I haven't enjoyed a Pixar film since Toy Story, come to think of it. "A Bugs Life", "Finding Nemo" and "Wall E" never really did it for me. They were overhyped to the point I didn't really enjoy them.

• Paid Members

Sorry, late with this, but you aren't alone. I thought it was perfectly watchable, but then I wasn't looking for any deep meaning or anything. Look who it stars ffs. Plus I love time-travel shit. One of the worst movies ever? Hyperbole, you say?

I saw Gervais' new film, The Invention of Lying last night. I didn't have very high expectations but it was actually pretty decent. If you're not a fan of Ricky's, then just don't bother, but if you are its pretty funny and a much better film than Ghost Town was. There's some entertaining little cameos from Stephen Merchant, Barry from Eastenders and Jason Bateman in particular and I enjoyed it. Like I said though, its very much Gervais being Gervais, so you have to be a fan to like it really. Going to see Zombieland this week, have heard suprisingly good things.

Wasting Away: Low budget Zombie comedy movie released sometime in 2007 on the film Festival scene but is only just being promoted on dvd here now. I saw an ad for it in the London Lite and the poster was littered with positive comments (which I know doesnt always mean much) but I thought id give it a go anyway incase it was a gem.

For those who havent heard of this film before, the story is quite unique as far as Zombie flicks go. Bassically 4 teenagers unknowingly consume a discarded military substanced designed to create 'Super Soldiers' but instead turns people into Zombies. The unique twist is that the teens arent actually aware they are zombies, and after meeting another "zombie" on their travels who is ex military, they believe that they are super soldiers and it's the rest of the world who are "infected". The premise itself leads to some amusing moments and perspectives. The zombie teens see the rest of the world in fast motion and theres also some amusing scenes in which, whilst shown from the teenagers normal perspective, them engaging in zombie like behaviour like eating brains and super human strength.

Theres some nice touches with how the film itself is shot, with the majority of the film being shot in normal colour, but scenes in which the teenagers are seen as Zombies is all in black and white.

Overall, the film is what it is, a low budget zombie comedy, not aimed to please the masses. The film itself drags on a bit towards the end, without the film actually being that long, and whilst there are some funny moments, I didnt often find myself laughing really hard at anything, more a few chuckles here and there.

The acting itself is reasonable for a film of it's type, and one of the lead actors is the spitting image of Freddy Prince Jr, but dont let that put you off, he's actually not quite as bad an actor! The lead females are hot, and whilst the characters themselves are very paint by numbers (Cocky stilfer-esque popular guy, Timid yet still handsome friend of popular guy who has a crush on longtime female friend, innocent virginal blonde girl who is object of timid guys affection, and sassy intelligent brunette who used to go out with popular dude) but arent offensive in any way.

Id reccomend it for atleast 1 viewing. It's by no means a bad film, but is in no way, shape or form in the same league as Sean of the Dead. With Zombieland out in cinemas now, if your in the mood for more Zombie comedies, it's deffo worth a watch!

Edited by OI OI SAVELOY

:yinyang:Zombieland Fucking awesome, just a balls-out, gore filled action/comedy film with quite possibly the best cameo appearance ever from SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Bill Murray

. Woody Harrelson is on top form as is Jesse Eisenberg. I would definitely recommend it.

Edited by insert_name_here

I saw Explorers the other night, which I recorded at random a few weeks ago.

I had this vague memory of a film when I was young where some kids made a spacecraft that went in a bubble into space, and everyone always says "Oh, it was The Last Starfighter". But I've definitely never seen that. And indeed, the film I was thinking of is Explorers!

The film is pretty good, in the same-ish vein as Goonies, Weird Science etc. You know, those great kids films that they used to make in the 80s that are clearly never going to get made again. The sad thing is, the cast has these 3 main kids in it - River Phoenix, Ethan Hawke, and this third guy, Jason Presson, who was totally the coolest:

hXNzueqe5l6w76t9IGTnPmpVo1_400.jpg

There he is, on the right, wearing a walkman.

He's the cool kid with a motorbike who plays be his own rules etc. And it's far and away the best performance in the film, miles better than the other, more famous kids. And what happened to Jason Pressman? Nothing, nada. Zilch. Not even a Wikipedia page. It's strange who "makes it" and who doesn't.

• Paid Members
And what happened to Jason Presson? Nothing, nada. Zilch. Not even a Wikipedia page. It's strange who "makes it" and who doesn't.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0696320/

He was also in Lady In White, which was pretty good in a similar vein of being an 80's kids movie, this time with a supernatural twist. I've not seen it in years and have no idea how big his role was in it but you're right, he's basically done nothing else of note, which kinda sucks if he had so much potential.

He's like a more obscure Edward Furlong.