DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

After a spell of "every film I'm watching for the first time this year whether new or old is total shite" I am now currently in a fucking hell of a "goddamn every film I've been watching for the first time is awesome" run.

In the past month I've watched in this order for the first time: The Brothers Bloom, District 9, Drag Me To Hell, Grizzly Man, The Hurt Locker, Gran Torino and Brazil.

That's a hell of a run. I'm thinking perhaps Rescue Dawn next, but I'm gonna' be careful because I don't want to break this run.

Watched Modern Times today. Everyone mentions the scene where he goes into the machine and you see him flying pass these cogs and bolts but i found that only a small part of the humour. Slapstick wise i loved when he enters his shanty house, his roller skating in the department store and playing american football with the duck. I really liked it.

The most shocking part of the film is a scene when he's in jail and there is reference to the warden looking for 'nose powder'. Just happened to be white and got smugged across Chaplin's tasch. Kinda surreal, i know drugs and cocaine's been around for years but i never thought it was used for real comic purpose until much later.

• Paid Members

In my quest to delve into bargin bin hell to find the odd gem I bought the following from one of those dodgy shops that are set up in closed high street stores until they run out of stock.

Shark Attack

Crocodile

Comic Book Villians

Mustang Sally's House of Horror

Halloween Camp 2

Rip Off

YEAH THATS RIGHT I BOUGHT A BARGIN BIN FILM CALLED RIP OFF, SO WHAT!

Usually I stick to two genres when looking at buying cheapies like this, horror or action. As a general rule these are the only genres you can derive any sort of entertainment from at the bottom of the bin level I look at. Here is were I came unglued. I should never have risked it. Last night I had the deep misfortune of watching Comic Book Villians. Which is packaged to appear to be a low grade Kevin Smith style comedy caper but is in actual fact a loathesome self indulgent neo noir. Sure it attempts comedy but its so pathetic its unfunny. It fails on nearly every level including logic.

There were many, many iritating things in the film but high lights include a complete and utter contempt for the audience it appears to market it self towards by essentially being the anti comic book film. Every character involved is the most repulsive cliche that really couldnt be more pathetic e.g. Greasy geeks with massively poor social skills and personal hygiene but not in a cool Chasing Amy/Malrats sort of a way but in a, these people are the most horrible embarrasing representations of 'people' I have ever seen way. Its like the film sets out tell the world that comics could only appeal to sociopaths and the lowest of the low in society. Not only slaping its audience in the face by the mere presence of the characters but essentially the ending is a full on punch in the nuts by having the 'moral' of the story be 'stop being a child and reading childish comic books and you WILL be much happier as you clearly cant be a succesful well rounded individual if you do'. Its so narrow minded that it is well and truely hammered home as well.

There is perhaps one reason why I would suggest watching this abortion. It could possibly be used as a example of how having the worst choice of music score ever has a derogetory effect on films atmosphere ever. Im confident had it been a mix of cool music and apropriate score then it may have made the afformentioned problems a little less painful.

Apologies if you read through that. I had to get it out. Frankly it serves me right for not sticking with my tried and tested formula of horror and action fodder. They rarely ever piss me off as much as this has. Also I must be a bit of a twat for not noticing the only critique on the back cover was from the IMDB.

Watched four films in the last few days. First up Let the Right One In. I enjoyed the film in that it was atmospheric, and a points creepy, but in no way was it as scary as some reviews have made it out to be. I also watched the Girl in the Park which is well acted but not a lot happens. Sigourney Weaver and Alessandro Nivola plays their parts well, Kate Bosworth is okay. Bronson is a different film, isn't it? Tom Hardy is awesome, and some parts are pretty funny - but the style of the film is all over the place. Finally, saw 500 Days of Summer today. An enjoyable little film thats pretty sweet if not groundbreaking.

Edited by Daniel Fitch

I loved Biodome when I was younger, havent seen it in about 10 years though. Just finished watching a film there as I couldnt be arsed with the football

TRICK 'R TREAT - 7/10

Just finished watching it there and a thought it was pretty good but I thought it might of been better after some of the reviews I read. It reminded me of some of the old Horror type films what didnt take them selves too serious like the Creepshow films, was a decent watch overall though.

• Paid Members

On Sky Premiere tonight are...

Saturday 3rd - Friday 9th October

Three Investigators And The Secret Of Terror Castle

Stone Of Destiny

The Duchess

RocknRolla

Blindness

Looks pretty shit. What do you think, brahs?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Rocknrolla wasn't bad. It wasn't great either but it's worth a watch.

I watched Choke last night. I'd pretty much ignored its existence because I absolutely loved the book and the trailer looked a bit rubbish. As bad as the trailer looked, however, it still made the film look better than it actually is.

That's not to say it's a terrible film. I might have been swayed by the fact that it's very faithful to the book, eventswise. It lacks the poetic nature of the writing and any of the aura surrounding the story is lost in the translation to the screen.

On to the things that really bothered me. The line delivery is just atrocious throughout quite a lot of the film but I'd put that down to the other problem; that it's really badly directed. There's very few scenes that feel like a movie & not some TV production.

Rocknrolla wasn't bad. It wasn't great either but it's worth a watch.

I watched Choke last night. I'd pretty much ignored its existence because I absolutely loved the book and the trailer looked a bit rubbish. As bad as the trailer looked, however, it still made the film look better than it actually is.

That's not to say it's a terrible film. I might have been swayed by the fact that it's very faithful to the book, eventswise. It lacks the poetic nature of the writing and any of the aura surrounding the story is lost in the translation to the screen.

On to the things that really bothered me. The line delivery is just atrocious throughout quite a lot of the film but I'd put that down to the other problem; that it's really badly directed. There's very few scenes that feel like a movie & not some TV production.

I've avoided it for the same reason - sounds like avoiding is a good plan.

I'm still on my TV show catchup. I got back to Firefly now I'm finished BSG. Nothing thrilling or that I'd buy. Bits of it are funny, the bulk of the actors are good but nothing that would make me gie up a few pennies to own it. Though I'll probably spend that much on my LoveFilm subscription by the time I'm done watching.

I also watched T2 the other night and forgot how much I enjoyed it. After all these years I still love the action sequences and the story. It has to be my favourite of the four.

Anybody ever managed to watch the 1994, unreleased, "Fantastic Four" film? Any thoughts? Cheers!

Yes I have. Apart from the (possibly intentional) humour to be got from the piss-poor special effects (Mr. Fantastic looks like he's got pipe-cleaners shoved down his sleeves in some of the scenes), it's not that bad. It's about as entertaining as the other two films, just not as polished and with a less attractive cast.