New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Not sure if you didn't see it and want to know, or did see it and want it explaining, so let's try to cover both:

They had all the Doctors turn up (through stock footage, inside TARDISes which we saw flying around) to lock Gallifrey into a pocket of time to save it and leave the Daleks to shoot up themselves, implying that the Doctor had somehow summoned himself multiple times. The Time Lords, watching this from Gallifrey, said something like: "All twelve of him!" "No sir... all thirteen!" and it cut to a shot of someone pulling a handle down in the TARDIS, then a shot of Capaldi's eyes looking so badass it nearly gave me a heart attack.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Curse my stunted imagination. I thought the only thing they could have done that would have warranted such hype was a regeneration; instead we got Hurt, Tennant and Smith SMASHING it, Peter Capaldi managing to also SMASH it with just a pair of badass eyes and Tom Baker.

Fucking hell.

Brilliant, brilliant episode.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Also, I take Monkee's rolling eyes on board and will no longer question what people tell me. That's worked out well for people in the past. Jesus.

I had a theory, and I was wrong (never happier to be so, actually). Give it a rest.

Ooooooooh, also;

That whole 'you may find yourself revisiting a few in years to come' line from Baker, and that whole exchange really, did that suggest that the Doctor may somehow reverse age? I know it'll never matter but that was clearly meant to be Bakers Doctor as opposed to just a cameo as a curator wasn't it?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And, oh shit, yeah;

slightly gutting that there was no interaction between the Doctors and Billie Piper, especially as she seems to have grown as an actress.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Fucking hell. Superb episode. Buzzing.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Most popular theory seems to be that Baker's role last night was as a future doctor (ie potentially long after Capaldi) who decided to take on a face a bit like that of the fourth doctor but older. Supposedly the "sometimes a new Doctor takes on a face that looks a bit like someone he's seen before" idea is there as a nod to people who remember Capaldi having been in a previous episode as a non-Doctor character.

There's also a variant theory that Baker's character last night is just some mythical 'curator' dude who has been around theDoctors for thousands of years and so the Fourth Doctor modelled his image on the curator but decided to go for a younger version."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Re: the regeneration - it might help to watch the mini episode HERE if you haven't already. Basically, Hurt is a forced temporary regeneration created by a potion drunk by McGann. So in Day of The Doctor you see Hurt returning back to McGann when he starts to regenerate.

In the panel yesterday they were saying they still haven't even figured out what Capaldi's Doctor is going to look like as he hasn't properly started filming. This was why you only saw his eyes during the scene last night where each Doctor was shown together.

Still can't get these spoilers to work properly...

Edited by Monkee

Lost my shit at that episode yesterday. Some nice nods to all kinds of things from Who's past. Absolutely brilliant. I'd like to see more of John Hurt's Doctor as hewas spectacularly bad ass.

I thought his regeneration was into Peter Davison's Doctor, but that is probably just me like and probably out of kilter with everything

• Awards Moderator

Loved the episode. Great stuff - don't have much more to add than that, really!

My question, it's not spoiler-y but it's something from a prior episode or series that I must have forgotten. Smith kept mentioning a 400-year gap between him and the other incarnations... when were those 400 years? Was it when the Master had Tennant's Doctor locked up for ages in one of the series finales?

No, Tennant's doctor was locked up for 365 days in the aborted timeline. 400 years is the distance in time between the War Doctor and the 11th Doctor.

Just to clear up a few things, McGann regenerated into Hurt, Hurt regenerated into Eccleston. Hurt was the 9th Incarnation but not technically a Doctor.

The Twelfth Doctor was present when they all teamed up to save Gallifrey because they had the means to contact all the Doctors at that point, (with Gallifrey still being present at that point, they could send a message to all the other Doctors and because it was just a moment, they could even send a message to future Doctors).

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by GPW Kristian Zane

• Paid Members

Just to clear up a few things, McGann regenerated into Hurt, Hurt regenerated into Eccleston. Hurt was the 9th Incarnation but not technically a Doctor.

The mini episode I posted a link to before goes against this theory though. As I said, the Hurt regeneration was a false temporary one because of the potion McGann drank. We know that McGann regenerated into Eccleston from when Eccleston first came into it, it wasn't Hurt. That's why Hurt's not in previous timelines because he wasn't technically a Doctor in the same way as the others.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Monkee

We know that McGann regenerated into Eccleston from when Eccleston first came into it

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Do we? Where is that mentioned or shown? Eccleston was already the doctor at the start of his first episode, there was never a McGann regeneration, which is why everyone lost their shit when the mini episode filled in that missing bit of Canon. McGann didn't regenerate because he drank a potion, he regenerated because he was dying/had already died. The sisterhood of Karn brought him back to regenerate, the potion (from my interpretation at least) was to enhance the regeneration and allow him to control who he would become.

Picture that I can't embed in a spoiler box

Looks a lot more like Ecclestone than it ever does McGann.

Edited by Bicurious Dad

• Paid Members

The mini episode I posted a link to before goes against this theory though. As I said, the Hurt regeneration was a false temporary one because of the potion McGann drank. We know that McGann regenerated into Eccleston from when Eccleston first came into it, it wasn't Hurt. That's why Hurt's not in previous timelines because he wasn't technically a Doctor in the same way as the others.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

No it wasn't. He died in the crash and they gave him an extra 4 minutes to choose. He was always going to regenerate they just let him specifically choose how he came back, an option he never usually gets. It's not hidden sub text or anything, it's specifically said in the mini episode. Hardcore fans really should stop trying to over analyse everything. Edit: they even show them in that order in the end credits

Edited by chokeout

I've just re watched the last scene and it actually pre-supposes the debate they knew would follow, doesn't it?

'Maybe I am you, maybe I was you...maybe it doesn't matter either way'

That really is the script writer saying 'WE'RE JUST DOING A NICE THING, DON'T RUIN IT AND OVERTHINK IT YOU GIANT GEEKS' isn't it?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz