New Doctor Who

stewdogg

First of all, thanks for this thread. I hadn't seen any of Matt Smith's Doctor as of April this year. I made it my 'jumping on point', and a set off on a mission to catch up by the Anniversary show. I did it with about 5 hours to spare! I've been reading this thread as I watched, to flesh out what was going on. Some great debate, especially between

d-d-daz and Vamp.

I never thought I'd ever shed a tear at Dr Who, but I did just that on Rory & Amy's exit. There was little not to enjoy throughout his whole tenure, though I found the second half of Season 7 a bit of a let down after the first half. Although it was helped my Jenna Louise Coleman being absolutely gorgeous!

I made the mistake of watching last nights after I'd finished work last night, at around half past midnight, in the knowledge that I was up again at 6, which probably spoiled my enjoyment a tad. As an episode it was great, but I felt a little let down by the use of Hurt's Doctor. I was expecting a ramped up, evil Doctor, and instead we got just another Doctor, to me.

Anyway, I popped on her to address the regeneration thing. I actually got to thinking today that it'd be quite cool if Hurts Doctor was the official ninth Doctor, and he was limited to 13 regenerations. I know all of a sudden this puts a limit on the series, but I thought it may add another dimension ('scuse the pun) to the character and storylines if this was it. But then again, I suppose The doctor doesn't like endings...

Anyway, a massive thumbs up from me, I'm going to have to go back to watching wrestling now that I've got caught up!

More from Moffat; http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/24/doctor-who-s...ort-of-4199592/

So yeah, despite their repeated attempts at trying to shake the regeneration limit thing it looks like they're going to address it soon. And, John Hurt isn't the 'ninth doctor' in so much as he's an anomalous 'war doctor' but he's still used up a regeneration.

Loved the episode. Great stuff - don't have much more to add than that, really!

My question, it's not spoiler-y but it's something from a prior episode or series that I must have forgotten. Smith kept mentioning a 400-year gap between him and the other incarnations... when were those 400 years? Was it when the Master had Tennant's Doctor locked up for ages in one of the series finales?

I remember a large number of those years occurred when both Matt Smith's doctor and David Tennant's doctor kept running from their doomed futures. Eventually they realise they are delaying the inevitable. They kind of casually mention it ("oh I've decided to spent a few hundred years pissing about") just before a series finale.

• Paid Members

As Moffat's counting the Tennant swerve as a regeneration (basically he regenerated but his spare hand sucked up the excess regenerative energy that's used to change your appearance), he's already on 12 regenerations before Smith turns into Capaldi, so if he's going to have an explanation for the sake of keeping fans happy, he'll need it for Christmas.

Edit: Just noticed the Mirror today confirms that's exactly what's happening:

But on December 25, current theories among millions of fans will be exterminated once and for all when Matt says in a dramatic speech he is the 13th Doctor and adds: "I'm dying and there is nothing I can do about it."

On Saturday night at the end of the show's 50th anniversary special, all the Doctors lined up, including John Hurt who was previously not thought to count. David Tennant's Time Lord also used up an extra regeneration to save himself in an episode called Journey's End.

A show source explained: "There have been two David Tennant Doctor Whos technically and with John Hurt playing another Doctor in the film, it basically means he can't regenerate again.

"The riddle of the regeneration problem, something fans have talked about for decades, will be faced head on at Christmas. There is going to be another huge cliffhanger and somehow Peter Capaldi has to join and the series has to continue.

Edited by JNLister

• 4 weeks later...

I'm anxious about it too in a way. Matt's been a real consistent highlight in what's been a real hit and miss few years, and as good an actor as Peter Capaldi is (and as wonderful a Doctor as I'm sure he'll be) it still feels like the show is losing a tremendous asset. Smith's energy was able to enthrall you even when there wasn't much of a plot to be found.

• Paid Members

I'd be really worried too IF it wasn't for us gaining Capaldi. The guy is such a great actor and I'm confident that he'll bring back some of that authority and gravitas that Tennant and Smith perhaps didn't pull off so well.