What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Garland is very much from the Tarkovsky school of science fiction where world building and visualising concepts is forefront in his mind. I disagree that there are not engaging characters in his films and Devs, personally, but there's no question that they are not the most important thing to him. Devs is very Garland and if you didn't like Ex-Machina and Annihilation then this will be a struggle too.

I'm burning my way through the shield and despite watching the first 5 seasons years ago, I've forgotten how good it is and the majority of storylines.

Fast paced storylines, stressful and intense story arcs and excellent acting. This is fast becoming my favourite programme. 

I'm grateful for this lockdown for providing the time to watch it. Essential viewing.

• Paid Members

Just been watching some Sanford and Son on YouTube. Anybody seen much of it? I thought it was really funny from what I saw and might watch a bunch more after I've finished Kimmy Schmidt.

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just been watching some Sanford and Son on YouTube. Anybody seen much of it? I thought it was really funny from what I saw and might watch a bunch more after I've finished Kimmy Schmidt.

That’s the American remake of Steptoe & Son, isn’t it?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

That’s the American remake of Steptoe & Son, isn’t it?

Yeah. Went down a YouTube rabbit hole last night and found some bits of it and thought it was really funny. Quite interested in it.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know how someone without Sky or its various PPV platforms might go about watching Breeders?  Watching the trailer, as a dad of three kids 6 and under, did more for me than any counselling or mindfulness ever could, now I’m desperate to see the show!  Happy to DM if more appropriate.

Also, how on earth did I miss Cuckoo?  I mean, I haven’t seen any new telly in six years, so I know the answer, but really, what a wonderful, wonderful show.  

Big Greg Davies fan, and although I found both Samberg and Lautner’s characters incredibly irritating at first, the writers do a smashing job of rounding them out and humanising them as the episodes tick over to the point I was really rooting for Dale and Rachel to get together at the end of the third series.

There’s no weak link for me, Helen Baxendale is fucking wonderful and just the right kind of saucy for my liking, and that lad from Outnumbered does a good job as the surly wanker teenage son.

MVP though, by a country mile has to be Steve Chance.  What a fucking character that is, and played to perfection and beyond by the chap who’s name I always miss as Netflix skips the credits.  Absolutely impeccable timing, experessions - the neighbourhood watch episode, where he’s demonstrating his Judo skills, fuck me, I nearly pissed the bed after a simple “ooooss”.

ive still two seasons to go, but this’ll easily be a show I revisit plenty.  An absolute gem!

Edited by John Matrix

10 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Does anyone know how someone without Sky or its various PPV platforms might go about watching Breeders?  Watching the trailer, as a dad of three kids 6 and under, did more for me than any counselling or mindfulness ever could, now I’m desperate to see the show!  Happy to DM if more appropriate.

Are you not able to use NowTV?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

The wife has started to watch Golden Girls. Got to admit, I'm not upset by this.

You will be if she follows it up with Brighton Belles.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You will be if she follows it up with Brighton Belles.

Fuck, I remember watching this and seeing the exact same jokes as on Golden Girls. I mean, sure do adaptions and that, but change the fucking scripts.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack
I cant spell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Fuck, I remember watching this and seeing the exact same jokes as on Golden Girls. I mean, sure do adaptions and that, but change the fucking scripts.

ITV remakes were the dregs, right? Day’s Like These, Married for Life, Brighton Belles. They were lucky with The Upper Hand mind, that was good