UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

It wasn't a change in result of anything, but you have to imagine Steve Austin beating Owen Hart at SummerSlam 1997 wasn't supposed to end with a roll-up.

That was surely supposed to end with a Stone Cold Stunner, but even after all of the interviews I've seen in the 19 years since it happened I still don't know who made the call for Owen to stay down for that pin from the world's worst roll-up. I'm presuming while Owen was stalling for time and Austin was trying to get some feeling back, somebody got the word to the referee and to Owen to do that alternate finish.

What are the most notable audibles that have been called in wrestling? The only one I can think of is Bischoff going to the ring and telling Sting to cover Jeff Hardy when he was off his head. Even incidents like Austin breaking his neck and H blowing his quad out ended with the planned guy winning.

It's such a rarety I'm surprised there is an established term for it.

It's not a wrestling term though. It's commonly used by Americans for changing plans last minute.

Funniest audible I can recall is Luger vs Brody in a cage from the late 80's, Brody just decided I think through a combination of a booking dispute and the fact he thought Lex was a bit shite to just no sell. Luger was smacking him and Brody just weren't having it so the call was made for Luger to just leave the cage. It's on Youtube.

• Paid Members

It wasn't a change in result of anything, but you have to imagine Steve Austin beating Owen Hart at SummerSlam 1997 wasn't supposed to end with a roll-up.

That was surely supposed to end with a Stone Cold Stunner

Austin has confirmed that.

According to Gary Hart, he was the one who suggested One Man Gang get the skull tattoo's either side of his head and beneath each skull are the names "Kevin" and "Kerry", done to set up a feud with the Von Erich boys. That's not true is it?! he tattooed his head with other men's names for an angle??!

• Paid Members

What are the most notable audibles that have been called in wrestling? The only one I can think of is Bischoff going to the ring and telling Sting to cover Jeff Hardy when he was off his head. Even incidents like Austin breaking his neck and H blowing his quad out ended with the planned guy winning.

It's such a rarety I'm surprised there is an established term for it.

It's not a wrestling term though. It's commonly used by Americans for changing plans last minute.

Specifically it's from American Football where the quarterback passes on the coach's play instructions in the huddle, but may change their mind when they see the opposing team's formation as the teams line-up. He may then call an audible, which means shouting out an instruction that's loud enough for everyone to hear but in code so the other team can't understand it.