General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I thought it was one of the crappest films I saw last year. I can see why Michael Mann has practically disowned it.

It's horrible, shit awful junk. If it wasn't by Mann, no-one would care. Might as well have been directed by Manfred Mann.

Actually, I couldn't give a toss that it was about Mann, I just thought it was quite different and visually compelling. A mess, but a hypnotic one nonetheless.

• Paid Members

not news, more of a query...

anyone know why the Premium Rush trailer was shown at the cinema last night (before Elysium - which was quality)? it's been out on DVD over here for a couple of months, very weird.

• Awards Moderator

Speaking of trailers, there's a new Dreamworks film about snails called Turbo that they had a trailer for before Jurassic Park, which looks absolutely awful.

On a different note, from having a flick through the new issue of Empire, it looks like a few possible Oscar contenders are starting to emerge for next year. Idris Elba's got his Mandela film, Naomi Watts has Diana, the new Alfonso Cuaron film Gravity looks set to get a bit of awards recognition, Robert Redford's got a new one coming out, and I think George Clooney's latest Monuments Men might be out in time for the awards as well. Oh, and the new Coens one as well.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I need an excuse to try out some of my new equipment so I'm entering a competition to recreate a scene from a film and to copy the cinematography. It can be a scene from any film as long as its under 2 minutes ( I can trim the scene down if needed) I need ideas for something that is a) going to be quite easy to film and b) has a distinct style. Any suggestions?

• Paid Members

Head down to your local cemetery and have a go at the finale of Leone's

Iconic scene, distinct cinematography, you just need three lads with guns (you could do a British spin on it with the characters). Scene can easily be condensed down to two minutes.

Edit: Obviously really fucking spoilerific if you haven't seen the film before.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members
Head down to your local cemetery and have a go at the finale of Leone's

Iconic scene, distinct cinematography, you just need three lads with guns (you could do a British spin on it with the characters). Scene can easily be condensed down to two minutes.

Edit: Obviously really fucking spoilerific if you haven't seen the film before.

The USS Indianapolis Scene from Jaws.

Excellent ideas.

That bit in Antichrist where Willem Dafoe cums blood.

........Oh Woy :(

• Paid Members

I saw Pain & Gain this weekend. It's alright but more a black comedy than an action film. Mark Wahlberg & The Rock are both good in it, Wahlberg plays a thick fuck wonderfully. If it weren't a true story it'd be criticised for being too far fetched.