Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Thanks for the replies and reassurance guys, it's good to hear. I'll probably expand the budget to £400 and get something to pay back bit by bit. My gal isn't the money grabbing kind and she'll probably throw a paddy if she found that I'm spending even £300 on a ring!

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Are you sure you know the style of ring she wants? I'd prefer to pick my own and I'm not all about cost. I'd hate a giant ostentatious Bobby Dazzler type. Could you propose without a ring or with a temporary one?

An old boyfriend once gave me a ring made from a guitar string as he always played songs to me before we got together. I thought it was beautiful and wore it until it was almost falling apart. I only took it off because I didn't want to lose it and I still have it in a box.

Could you make something like this that means something to you both and then go ring shopping together so she can pick something she really likes and might even cost less than you're thinking of paying?

• Paid Members

Does she know your proposing? My fiance had no idea, and neither did her Mother/friends so it was on me to find the ring.

I ended up getting a very sleek and dainty looking ring as she isn't into big, loud jewellery. I was stressed to hell about it but it so turned out perfect in the end.

You want the ring to be nice, but if she throws a fit over the price, then she's not worth it anyways imo.

• Paid Members

She'll only throw a fit about the price if it costs too much; there's things more important that require that amount of cash! Although i doubt she'll be 'mad' for long.

I'm going for the total suprise route. She doesn't like big jewlery so i'm looking for the elegant look. Having a look round and i think the style where you have a sapphire surrounded by little diamonds is the best look. It's not big but it should catch the light nicely and be good enough to show off to her friends.

I actually considered the 'temporary ring' option but she's really into tradition so i think the 'regular' way of proposing is the way to go.

Thanks for the link Johnnyboy! That looks great! It's actually quite similar to what i was looking at.

She'll remember the actual proposal rather than the ring. I did the deed on a gorgeous beach in Turkey, and my wife picked her own ring about a month later. You could do something awesome for the proposal and then go ring-shopping the following day?

Accident Prone, see if you can fit the ring around her tastes, subtly, I've proposed twice, once was a Blue Topaz ( Bollocks it's been a while) Ring as that's what she wanted, was about 75 quid and honestly she had never been more happy looked at rings as you do casually when around a shopping centre, say it would be a laugh to get sizes and see what she likes then dont bring it up again, but remember what she likes.

Time two, had ring size know liked 1930's Art Deco style. Scoured online auctions for them and I dont mean ebay, I mean auction houses online, picked one up for a lot less than your budget but still platinum and diamond. Though was US/European stamped not UK. Which means is a lot cheaper!

Third time will be a charm :), probably

• Paid Members

Thanks for the glasses advice. New question...

Even though I've had an Amazon Prime trial before, I was just able to get a six month trial (and then £39 a year) as a new student. My question is, what other free shit can I get for becoming a student? I already know about Office365, but for some reason my uni isn't part of that scheme :(

• Paid Members

I really don't know what all those student riots were about. Free shit left and right and an ass load of money handed to me for "living expenses" that I only have to pay back at a piddling rate. Easy street, m8.

Archived