Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I'm not too keen on most of Brewdog's beers either but to say they don't have variety is a bold statement, especially if you're carrying that over to their guest beers. It's been a while since I've been in a Brewdog bar but I remember the one thing that did impress me was the huge selection they were offering,dozens and dozens of different types of beer, filtered and unfiltered, from every continent. You might not like the type of person that drinks there, their in-your-face marketing or even their own beers but there aren't many bars that offer as wide a range as them.

Thanks! This is exactly the point I'm making.

I'm not saying they're best brewery in the UK. I'm just saying that to claim their beer is all "arse water" and that their bars don't offer a wide variety of beers styles is just completely wrong.

On a side note: I like Salopian a lot too. They do a variety of beer styles and they do them well. I'm not sure I'd say they're miles ahead of Brewdog, but they're certainly both making great beer. Some shit beer, some average beer and some great beer. The marketing and business side of Brewdog is irrelevant to me. I only care about what the beer tastes like.

I think that's my major issue. Their gimmickry gives their beer a sour taste to my palate.

If you detach emotion from Brewdog as a company, I think you're able to more fairly judge the way their beer tastes.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

On the subject of beers, has anyone tried Guiness's new ale? I'm intrigued, might nip up to tesco tonight for a few bottles.

I think they've made 3, haven't they?

A "Dublin Porter", a "West Indies Porter" and a "Golden Ale".

I've had the two porters and, if you take them for what they are - half attempts at something "craft" whilst still being pasteurised, filtered and holding some mainstream appeal - they're not bad.

Not had the other one. 

• Paid Members

BrewDog has it's place. Dead Pony Club is lovely but with most of their drinks I find one is enough, they certainly aren't session beers. Plus, as mentioned, the places are usually filled with skinny jeans hipster twats (or Tommy in his Brewdog bomber jacket)

Butch have you tried Blueball from Runcorn? They make a delicious pint.

• Moderators

I haven't. My local (*COUGH*FORMER UK PUB OF THE YEAR, CURRENT WELSH PUB OF THE YEAR*COUGH*) only gets in local microbrewery stuff from North Wales and Shorpshire, and very rarely they may get something in from Liverpool but again that's rare. They used to get in brewdog but it was treated with disdain over our games of dominoes

I'd love it if someone posted a guide to Kodi, actually. I've never been able to make head nor tail of it, and I've got an Amazon Firestick that's going to be nigh-on useless when my Prime trial ends.

Seconded.  I've been led to believe that it's absolutely fantastic and almost revolutionary, but all Google seems to do is either a) confuse the life out of me, or b) tell me it's just a media player, in which case how is it any different to Windows Media Player?

• Paid Members

I'd love it if someone posted a guide to Kodi, actually. I've never been able to make head nor tail of it, and I've got an Amazon Firestick that's going to be nigh-on useless when my Prime trial ends.

Seconded.  I've been led to believe that it's absolutely fantastic and almost revolutionary, but all Google seems to do is either a) confuse the life out of me, or b) tell me it's just a media player, in which case how is it any different to Windows Media Player?

It's a media player, but you get plugins that do stuff. Plugins let you search for (pirated) films and tv-shows, which can be played in KODI. Watch Premier League football on it too with foreign streams. It really is a hassle to set up, but it's definately worth it.

• Paid Members

Would anyone be interested in writing articles/reviews for my website in a Den of Geek style? I'm looking for anything that relates back to the products I sell so they would need to be based on anything Marvel, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Sherlock or The Walking Dead. I can't afford to pay you but I can give you a discount if there's anything from my shop that you want to buy in return for your writing. If you already write anything like this on Letterboxd or another site and wouldn't mind me borrowing them then please let me know.

FYI - my website is fiercelemon.co.uk

• Paid Members

Has anyone any experience with intensive driving courses? I'm talking going from beginner to test passed in a short amount of time. I've lined up newspaper work experience for when I start my degree. It starts in November. I won't be able to afford lessons until late September or early October. Is it at all possible to go from beginner to test passed in that amount of time?!

• Paid Members

Has anyone any experience with intensive driving courses? I'm talking going from beginner to test passed in a short amount of time. I've lined up newspaper work experience for when I start my degree. It starts in November. I won't be able to afford lessons until late September or early October. Is it at all possible to go from beginner to test passed in that amount of time?!

I was going to do an intensive, but I couldn't fathom why an "intensive hour" was a higher rate than a standard hour.

So I block booked 20 hours (regular ones) and had 2 hour lessons every week day for two weeks.

As I block booked I got a discount rate (I think it worked out about £12 an hour), and the instructor was happy as he got twenty weeks money in a fortnight.

• Paid Members

I was going to do an intensive, but I couldn't fathom why an "intensive hour" was a higher rate than a standard hour.

So I block booked 20 hours (regular ones) and had 2 hour lessons every week day for two weeks.

As I block booked I got a discount rate (I think it worked out about £12 an hour), and the instructor was happy as he got twenty weeks money in a fortnight.

That was enough to pass your test? I read somewhere you need 30 hours.

Archived