Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I'd go with Gmail. I've used hotmail since I first started using emails many moons ago but the MSN service is rather poor now. I have a secondary email account with Google and it's far better.

The good thing about Google is that they have an answer to almost any question you might have regarding their service. This should explain what you need to do https://support.google.com/mail/answer/164640

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm gonna ask my girlfriend to marry me when we go to Cape Town in January. I've got everything sorted, but my question is about ring size. I want to make it a surprise for her, so taking her to the jewellers is obviously out. What's the best way to get the right size? Does it explicitly matter? Can rings be resized if I make a pigs ear of it?

Help appreciated.

• Moderators

Yes, rings can be resized. Obviously it'd be nicer if you get it right though, then she can wear it instead of just carrying it around until you come back and then leaving it with the jeweller. And she's gonna want to wear it right away! 

Can you nick a ring she has out of her jewellery box? Obviously you'd have to know what finger she wears it on, but even if it's not on the same finger on the other hand, at least it would get you close enough that she can wear it.

Or you can get a little ring sizing band (you can even print them off) and measure her finger when she's asleep, or measure around her finger with a string, and then check a conversion chart online.

Ask her Parents or best mate to help out. Itll mean letting them in on it but its the perfect time of year. I asked her Mum, who in turn used the old 'thinking of getting you a ring for Christmas but would like to know size just to be sure' and hey presto.

Best of luck.

• Paid Members

Gmail can be a bit dodgy with receiving forwarded emails, from what I've heard. The security's too strict or something.

I've been forwarding my footy DVD account emails to Gmail for the last few years without a problem. Dunno if I'm just lucky.

So I'm gonna ask my girlfriend to marry me when we go to Cape Town in January. I've got everything sorted, but my question is about ring size. I want to make it a surprise for her, so taking her to the jewellers is obviously out. What's the best way to get the right size? Does it explicitly matter? Can rings be resized if I make a pigs ear of it?

Congrats, pal.

A quick update on the child support situation.

My mother documented it with the police in case it was a scam or some fraud has taken place, and she's speaking to the CAB later today.

She contacted my biological father for the first time since I was born to ask if he had paid child maintenance, he said he had and assumed that she'd received it as there was never any reason to think otherwise.

My mother spoke to the person dealing with the case from the Child Support Agency this morning, and the woman politely told her that they won't be chasing the arrears up straight away (thanks, bitch. Up until the phone call last week my mother had no idea that any child support had ever been paid for me. She'd not received anything, no letters, no bank statements.)

Oh, the arrears that my mum supposedly owes? £9,000 What the actual fuck?

Who knows how much my father had actually paid in the first place to rack up that sort of number?

For obvious reasons, there wasn't a great deal of information my mum could get over the phone from the CSA. However, there was something on her system (system, that's what they call them) which said that payments had been paid into a building society account. My mum did have an account with said building society but thought she had closed it years ago and she's since moved house multiple times and changed her surname.

She's going to the building society to see if she still has an account with them. I find it unlikely that she does as I'm assuming she'd have received something from them over the years and she's pretty sure that she did close the account. Who knows, though? It was probably 15 years or more since she had that account.

Edit: Just over £27,000 has been paid. Fucks knows where to though.

• Paid Members

I had the "pleasure" of working for the CSA a couple of years ago. The entire computer system is, for want of a better word, wrong. We were hired to manually calculate payments and debts as the computers could never get the same calculation right twice I a row. The calculations are so unbelievable convoluted that people were just sending out guesses most of the time. I am convinced that most of the ones I did were wrong. Best of luck with it, and get legal help if you can.

I had the "pleasure" of working for the CSA a couple of years ago. The entire computer system is, for want of a better word, wrong. We were hired to manually calculate payments and debts as the computers could never get the same calculation right twice I a row. The calculations are so unbelievable convoluted that people were just sending out guesses most of the time. I am convinced that most of the ones I did were wrong. Best of luck with it, and get legal help if you can.

We managed to find an old bank account today that had a couple of payments sent to them from the CSA but were instantly sent straight back to them as my mother had previously closed that account. She spoke to a solicitor briefly today and the plan as of now is to get statements from every account she's held to prove that no payments have ever been received from them. Thunderplex is there a possibility that the CSA could be holding the money? Did you ever hear of stuff like that happening?

• Paid Members

I had a situation with the CSA a few years back where the would take the payment via Direct debit from my bank account every Friday and then the Thursday after (without fail) I would get a cheque in the mail giving me the money back.

When I called to query they claimed to have no details for my son's mother. Perhaps they should have investigated that first rather than send letters threatening to take me to court for not paying her via the CSA.

They are really good. :rolleyes:

Archived