Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

I know that ROH PPV's tend to over-deliver, especially this year, but there seriously isn't a single match on that card which appeals to me in the slightest.

Full card for those interested:

ROH World Championship Match: Cody (c) vs. Dalton Castle
Singles Match: Marty Scurll vs. Jay Lethal
ROH World Tag Team Championship Match: The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) (c) vs. Best Friends
Four Corners Elimination Match for the ROH World Television Championship: Kenny King (c) vs. Punishment Martinez vs. Shane Taylor vs. Silas Young
ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship Match: The Hung Bucks (Adam Page, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Flip Gordon, Dragon Lee & Titan
Singles Match: Matt Taven vs. Will Ospreay
Tag Team Match: The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian) vs. War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe)
New York Street Fight: The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. Bully Ray & Tommy Dreamer
Taped Pre-show Tag Team Match: The Dawgs (Rhett Titus & Will Ferrara) vs. Cheeseburger & TBA. Taped Pre-show Match: Jonathan Gresham vs. Josh Woods

• Paid Members

I dip into ROH every now and then just to see the current climate. From watching this show, I suspect it’s only a matter of time before NXT come sniffing for those War Machine guys. Seeing those two big, bearded bastards doing all those fun high spots, it makes it even more bewildering that they chose to bring in Adam Cole’s faceless, boring mates to be the focus of the NXT tag division.

Credit to Cody. This is the first time I’ve seen him since leaving WWE and if nothing else he’s certainly improved his presence massively. He felt like a bigger star here than he ever did in WWE. That ridiculous, massive fur coat was amazing. I wonder if he’ll evenrually make his way back to WWE like Drew did.

I love Dalton Castle, but that title win felt super underwhelming. I don’t know the storylines, but the crowd reaction suggested they weren’t expecting this and it wasn’t the right time. Dalton’s entrance was awesome though.

I'm happy to see the Motor City Machine Guns are still active, but what the fuck was that finish? Awful. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Supremo said:

Credit to Cody. This is the first time I’ve seen him since leaving WWE and if nothing else he’s certainly improved his presence massively. He felt like a bigger star here than he ever did in WWE. That ridiculous, massive fur coat was amazing. I wonder if he’ll evenrually make his way back to WWE like Drew did.

I’d honestly not be surprised to see him back sooner than later. Pop up in the Rumble, or return just after Mania. Doing pretty much the same Joe Namath gimmick he’s doing now.

He’s gone away, done his list things, and probably in his mind ‘proved his point’ about being able to do it as ‘himself’. I don’t think he’d be against a WWE return now, and I think they’d be keen to have him.

He’s dropped the RoH belt, I guess we’ll know if he gets booted out of Bullet Club just after Wrestle Kingdom!

He might even have enough clout to get the to let his missus be a wrestler too.

He’s signed a contract with roh so won’t be a rumble or mania appearance. He still makes really good Money, is picking his dates more and wants to start a family. He’s a few years left before he heads back in any form 

• Awards Moderator
21 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I always sense Cody will get lost in the shuffle in WWE. He's a good hand, like, but it's so easy for good hands to get stuck in that midcard rut - which is exactly where Cody was for most of his career.

I think that, at least until Stardust, they did pretty well by Cody. For a few years in a row he got to be in a featured match on the main WrestleMania card, which very few outside of the top stars can claim. He feuded with the Shield at their hottest, he always had good showings in the Rumble, and by and large they always had something for him - even if it was being Dashing or a Rhodes Scholar, he got something to do which is more than a lot of others can claim. I know it's part of the post-WWE routine to suggest you were hard done by but it's not like he was on Heat or Metal every week or 50-50ing with Ziggler.

And in a world where the two members of 3MB they didn't want to keep around can come back and win the NXT and WWE titles respectively, the sky'd be the limit on a Cody return.

• Paid Members

Everyone seen this clip that's going around social media of a load of people throwing drop-kicks at each other? Horrendous spot. It does have some fans though. Meltzer is defending it on the basis that it got a crowd reaction. Lots pointing out that he gave negative stars to big matches with huge crowd reactions, notably Hogan/Andre. Though Big Dave does appear to have lost the plot recently.

• Paid Members

I really don’t have a problem with the spot. There’s nothing we haven’t seen before and everything mostly made sense in terms of at least attempting to hit each other with moves. Of everything to take offence with for being glorified gymnastics, I’ve seen far worse on a regular basis. 

The ensuing arguments between MMA fans who despise pro wrestling, and Bullet Club marks has been worth having that spot alone.

For me, the initial dodging strikes sequence is fair enough, but the whole dropkick situation was fucking turgid. 

• Paid Members

It's standard Young Bucks six man silliness. It is what it is.

On a personal level, they aren't a draw to me nowadays. I went to Rev Pro at York Hall in November (with a variety of New Japan names) and I'm going in January, but skipped the show they were on earlier this month because I just wasn't bothered.

Edited by gadge