Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

On 3/15/2018 at 8:10 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

I’m a huge Scurll fan, he’s got a good gimmick and he’s never disappointed me when he’s performed. 

In regards to good matches but others have far better, I’d like to know who you’re comparing him too. 

I like Scurll. Decent talker, good look, good matches. The only thing that puts me off is when he shouts out in matches what move he's going to do. I feel like he's worse for it in Japan than when I've seen him live. Some people must like it

• Paid Members

I like the shouting thing. From a psychology point of view being a villain and cocky enough that you can shout what you're going to do and still do it makes your opponent look a fool and make you look good. Works as a heel thing when Scurll seems to be about being bad but being the best. 

I'd like to see him use it more with opponents he faces a lot but calling for one thing and doing another. People can be wise to one thing until you change the game and then have no idea what they're really thinking. Would really add to his work a little more though he's still pretty strong. 

• Paid Members

Perhaps fool was the wrong word, perhaps you're being a tad pedantic but for me having a heel who is constantly making the baby face look stupid through different things is exactly the character Scurll should be playing. He says he's a villain but he's somewhat of a goofball, he's like a sixties batman baddie at most. I'm all for him out smarting opponents with crafter ways of cheating or wrestling than just getting DQ'd, choking on ropes or being a proper villain and beating people up which would never suffice with a guy his size or the way Japan presents its competitors. 

32 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Perhaps fool was the wrong word, perhaps you're being a tad pedantic but for me having a heel who is constantly making the baby face look stupid through different things is exactly the character Scurll should be playing. He says he's a villain but he's somewhat of a goofball, he's like a sixties batman baddie at most. I'm all for him out smarting opponents with crafter ways of cheating or wrestling than just getting DQ'd, choking on ropes or being a proper villain and beating people up which would never suffice with a guy his size or the way Japan presents its competitors. 

No, wasn't being pedantic and wasn't having a go either, just thinking out loud whether that is something a heel should be doing.

In my opinion, a babyface should not be made to constantly look stupid or getting out smarted - otherwise what is there to root for? Why would I route for someone who has been repeatedly made to look stupid by his opponent? I wouldn't. I'm going to cheer the opponent... and something tells me Marty gets cheered massively doing these things - which means he's a crap heel. It should be him, as the heel, who is made to look foolish and getting outsmarted by his opponent. 

Consider any truly over babyaces that there have been in history and how many times they were made to look stupid or were outsmarted by their opponents on a consistent basis.
Austin? Hogan? Rock? Nope, nope and nope. How many times was Vince made to look stupid and outsmarted by Austin, or Mick Foley, or The Rock, or DX? Countless - hence why he was the heel. 

Anyway, as I said, personal preference. Scurll does nothing for me as a performer and even less as a heel [for the reason stated] - but why should he or his fans care? He's doing exceptionally well for himself so he's clearly doing something right.

Sting getting turned on by Ric Flair numerous times, Undertaker being turned on by Paul Bearer on at least 2 occasions, Stone Cold joining forces with Vince after several years of Vince trying to fire him. 

Many faces who generally decide to team up with people they have feuded with for months once their is a face turn. 

Its just the way Wrestling is, Heels use their brains and faces are all about pride and forgiveness.

Also Scurll has been using powder in some recent matches, the one against Punishment Martinez was a good example, the referee was distracted, Scurll gets the bag of powder out goes to throw it in Martinez eyes so he covers his face then Scurll kicks him in the nuts and rolls him up for a 3 count revealing there was no powder in the bag this time round, he’s a smart heel who uses innovative finishes in a lot of his matches.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Hadn't seen the Punisher thing but that's fantastic and just what I wanted to see. And Snitsky I get it I guess, but for me I'm much as Tilde in that I see major baby faces as proud but not always smart. For me having a face that eventually manages to outsmart a super smart heel means more for me than just having a generic heel that gets beat by a just proud baby face. 

For me him vs Castle could be great because Dalton is quite out there but shows some brains when out smarting people like Cody in the past. Scurll can try and be the villain but when Dalton is hardly a hero and more about being remembered he can definitely find a way to not be brought into Scurll games and maybe even frustrate him playing his own. 

24 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Sting getting turned on by Ric Flair numerous times, Undertaker being turned on by Paul Bearer on at least 2 occasions, Stone Cold joining forces with Vince after several years of Vince trying to fire him. 

Many faces who generally decide to team up with people they have feuded with for months once their is a face turn. 

Its just the way Wrestling is, Heels use their brains and faces are all about pride and forgiveness.

Also Scurll has been using powder in some recent matches, the onc against Punishment Martinez was a good example, the referee was distracted, Scurll gets the bag of powder out goes to throw it in Martinez eyes so he covers his face then Scurll kicks him in the nuts and rolls him up for a 3 count revealing there was no powder in the bag this time round, he’s a smart heel who uses innovative finishes in a lot of his matches.

Getting turned on and being made to look stupid are two different things though.
Paul Bearer didn't make The Undertaker look stupid - he betrayed him. Nobody thought 'God Undertaker was dumb for trusting Paul Bearer!' when, at least the first time, he had absolutely no reason NOT to trust Paul Bearer prior to that.
Austin aligning himself with Vince turned Austin heel so your analogy doesn't work in that instance.

Was Scurll booed by the crowd for what he did to Martinez or cheered? If he was cheered then that's the wrong response and while he cannot be held responsible completely for how the audience responds I would argue that making the babyface look like a twat for falling for his tricks is inciting people to cheer for him rather than boo.

I remember training for wrestling about 15 years ago and one of the first things I was told was 'If you're a blue eye, never let your opponent outsmart you otherwise the audience will lose faith in you'. Why would I cheer an idiot? 

I still say Hogan, Austin, Rock etc as babyfaces were NEVER made to look stupid. Stabbed in the back by a friend? Yes. Had their opponent get the upper hand on them? Absolutely. Stupid? No.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

I do see your points definitely but if you’re being turned on by the same person on more then 1 occasion it does make the face look stupid especially in Stings case.

Scurll was cheered when it happened but he’s over and unfortunately this is the time we live in now.  Fans cheer for who they like over who they should like.  As far as I know Punishment Martinez is a heel too but I could be wrong, I’m not a regular ROH watcher. 

5 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I do see your points definitely but if you’re being turned on by the same person on more then 1 occasion it does make the face look stupid especially in Stings case.

Scurll was cheered when it happened but he’s over and unfortunately this is the time we live in now.  Fans cheer for who they like over who they should like.  As far as I know Punishment Martinez is a heel too but I could be wrong, I’m not a regular ROH watcher. 

Sure, the stuff in 95 where Flair turned on him made Sting look dumb as fuck, which did hurt his popularity a little I think and which is why he was still cheered but only got SUPER over when he donned the Crow garb and started not looking foolish and outsmarting the heels.

Interesting debate though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

If I sign up for their streaming service, will Supercard of Honor be available On Demand? Or is it considered a PPV? They messaging regarding this service is a mess. Just put everything on there and you’ll get my money.

9 hours ago, Supremo said:

If I sign up for their streaming service, will Supercard of Honor be available On Demand? Or is it considered a PPV? They messaging regarding this service is a mess. Just put everything on there and you’ll get my money.

Yep. Sign up for the 9.99 a month option and you get Supercard of Honor as it's a "special event" rather than a PPV.