Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

On Friday night I was telling anyone who would listen to me that Selby was going to box rings around Warrington. I predicted that Selby was going to win all but maybe 2 or 3 rounds. It's safe to say that I got it very wrong. I had Warrington winning by at least 4 rounds, maybe even more. 

Stevenson vs Jack was a cracking bout as well. Both looked on the verge of being finished at some point in the bout. I think a draw was the fairest result. I felt the SKY pundits were a bit harsh on Stevenson.

• Paid Members

Just a horrible night for Selby, he was bullied and out-fought all night. Warrington simply never allower Selby to settle and pick his shots as he likes to do. Good battle though, very messy but thats what Warrington had to do to win. Selbys complete lack of power (neither a punchers, but id say Warrington was the harder puncher) stops him from having any kind of success in a fight like that.

• Paid Members

Has anything come of the timing fuck up that happened during the Nicola Adams fight? I mean, she looked awesome agains an opponent that was supposed to be a bit of a litmus test for her, but surly the Argentinian lass' team will appeal the defeat over the round going almost a minute longer than it should. Had to chuckle when they tried to cover their mistake by announcing the knockout was in 1:59 of the round though...

• Paid Members

Hes definitely shredded at the weight. Selby has released a statement saying hes moving up in weight because the weight cut has been killing him for years. Never really like to hear someone say that directly after a fight, even if its true, always seems a bit of excuse making even though he tries to mask it by giving credit to Warrington.

Have no issue with Tyson Furys opponent. He ticks the boxes that looks good on paper, appears a bit of a puncher too. Its about how Tyson looks in victory.

• Paid Members

I'm no Fury fan but some of the moaning I've seen and heard about the announcement is just silly shit. What did people expect from a guy coming back off a 2year layoff and having to drop about 8st or something mad like that in weight? Fish Eyes, for all his faults, was very upfront from the off that Fury would be fighting a few warm ups first to knock the rust off before moving onto something bigger. Don't know why anyone would be shocked. Warren's saying the plan is for Fury to fight 2 or 3 times before the year's out and they're all likely going to be glorified jobber matches. So people need to get used to it. You can basically sack off any ideas of Fury fighting any big fights until next year. Write 2018 off as Fury simply getting back in there and knocking the cobwebs off. Got no problem with it myself. I'd rather it this way and build to the big fights for next year than rush it and then if Fury loses he's got the ring rust excuse. Let him get back in shape and sharp then the fight is bigger and better in 2019. Plus, there's other shit going on in the meantime that could do with sorting out. Joshua vs Wilder for one. If not that then there's the Joshua vs Povetkin mandatory defence. Plenty going on. There's always the risk AJ gets caught before the big Fury fight can happen but what can you do? If it all works out though, just imagine a scenario where Joshua beats Povetkin and Wilder. And Fury rattles off 3 highlight reel squash matches, talking mad shit the whole time. Joshua vs Fury, summer 2019 at Wembley would be absolutely mega! Probably nothing of the sort happens but we can hope.

Selby vs Warrington was good. Like Jim I was fairly confident Selby was going to win and I was disappointed he didn't because he seems a nice enough guy and Warrington irritates me. But Warrington did well. I had him probably 4 rounds up by the end. No idea how the one judge scored it for Selby. Shocking. Warrington's headbutts marred the fight a bit for me. Warrington fought well and his relentless pace and conditioning are undeniable. But the headbutts had an effect, no getting away from it. From about the second round on Selby was bleeding above the eye as a direct result. 

Badou Jack vs Adonis Stevenson was tremendous. I was looking forward to it going in but it surpassed my expectations. I had Jack edging it but I was distracted in a couple of rounds so fuck knows. Great fight regardless, both had their moments, both got hurt. Hopefully they do the rematch at some point.

Oh and a heads up...Jamie McDonnell vs Naoya Inoue is on Sky Sports on Friday afternoon at 1pm as it's live from Tokyo. 

• Paid Members

Feels like an end of road title defence for McDonnell. Ive never seen Inoue fight (Japanese boxing seems to exist in it own little world) but Inoue is apparently a beast and McDonnell looked like death on the scales. 

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Feels like an end of road title defence for McDonnell. Ive never seen Inoue fight (Japanese boxing seems to exist in it own little world) but Inoue is apparently a beast and McDonnell looked like death on the scales. 

You wasn’t wrong, Inoue finished him inside 2 minutes of the first round.

Inoue is now a 3 weight world champion whose had just 16 pro fights, definite favourite for the Super Series now. 

• Paid Members

Fuck me, McDonnell got cleaned out. Just goes to show, you can be a World Champ in boxing but theres still levels to the game that seperates them champions by some distance.

Inoue entering the WBSS is very exciting, that thing is gonna be great.

Inoue is a bad man. 

McDonnell was dead at the weight though. I didn't see the weigh-in, but you could tell he wasn't at his best from the moment he left the changing room. His whole camp was a mess by the sound of things. The McDonnell of two years ago would have still been taken to the cleaners by Inoue, but he would have probably put up a better fight. 

The WBSS is looking very tasty with Inoue, Burnett and Tete. I hope ITV 4 secure the viewing rights to it. 

Edited by jimufctna24