Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Stylin_and_Profilin said:

Very sad to hear. Was wondering earlier if he and Naseem ever made their peace in the end, although i have gut feeling they didn't 🙁

Dean Francis also passed away from cancer at 44. That one upset me yesterday not just as a fan who'd seen Francis fight, but he was diagnosed with bowel cancer around the same time as my mother last year so i was following his story in the press and felt a strange connection with his story. He was diagnosed terminal but i know he was looking into alternative treatments, i hadnt heard anything in months so to see that pop up yesterday was pretty heartbreaking, such a sad story :(

RIP Dean Francis.

• Paid Members

Just watching the Kal Yafai fight from overnight. Looking at the state of the ring canvas there must have been some sort of bloodbath on the undercard. The Yafai fight is certainly very exciting so far. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Watched all the Yafai fight now. Watch it, it's a good one.

That was a good scrap. Hopefully they will pair Yafai with Jerwin Ancajas next. He looked clinical in the main event. It wasn't the barnburner like Yafai/Carmona but Ancajas is skilful with his footwork and countering. Good engine and can pack a heavy punch.

Mongolian prospect news. Anyone heard of Tugstsogt Nyambayar? Also goes by the nickname Big Tug. Had his first test last night in his tenth fight against Oscar Escandon. He got dropped in the first round and shook it off. Then proceeded to batter Escandon. Dropped him 5 times and the ref called it off in round 3. What I liked about Big Tug was he didn't wilt after the knockdown or lose his nerve. He may not have even been hurt because it looked a bit like a slip. But Escandon being a pressure fighter, he was soon on him like a pitbull and looking for a stoppage.

Fury is aloud a few easy ones. Theres no rush to have him in risky fights. Frank Warren is a great match maker for his fighters. 3 soft fights this year is the plan i believe then a step up. Ive never saw his opponent fight before or even saw what he looks like, but Hearn said in an interview he is 5ft 10 cruiserweight so i imagine Tyson should deal with him no problem if he fights clever. The main concern i have with Fury is that by the end of the year i believe that all the hype will have died down and hel be struggling to attract half decent crowds to his fights which will drive an even bigger wedge between the AJ fight. Also Fury always fought his best when being trained by his uncle, i have no idea how hel respond to his new young trainer if hes in a difficult fight.

i just want Fury/Joshua next year at Wembley. Big Tyson walking out in front if a sold out Wembley being played to the ring by Mark Morrison! Then putting on a masterclass points win. 

• Paid Members

This guy apparently;

ngBleF.jpg

Ben Davison. Don't know much about him but he's talking a good game and saying all the right things. Fury asked him to train him so Fury sees something in him. Don't know why he split with his uncle but I saw a quote from Peter recently and he was wishing Tyson well. Sounds like it was amicable and Tyson just wanted to change things up. Seems odd because he's fixing what wasn't broken, but we'll see. 

I said before I've got zero problem with him taking on a few jobbers. I don't know why people always moan about that when boxers come back after a long time out of the game. Even the David Haye squash matches when he first came back, I thought the backlash was a bit silly. They were his first fights back after a huge layoff and they were on free TV. Wasn't like they were charging for it. These fights are what they are. Fury looked done not long ago. He was depressed and fat as fuck looking like a 7ft Charlie Sloth. He seems to have turned the corner now mentally and he's obviously dropped a load of weight but did people really think he'd be fighting anyone good after being out over 2 years and going from where he was in his life not long ago? He was never going to be fighting a top guy right off the bat. There's plenty of time to see all those big fights down the line. And when they happen I'd rather see Tyson at his best with no excuses if he loses than throwing him in when he's still rusty and adjusting to working with his new trainer.

People might as well enjoy mocking him for fighting bums now, I suppose. Because there'll be no laughing when he smothers and dances his way to frustrating points wins over AJ and Wilder and whoever else over the next few years. And I say that as someone who wants to see the big div get lamped. Just got a feeling that if he's at his best, he causes all kinds of problems for those guys. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

again? fucking hell. I suspected it was called off the first time because the Canelo/GGG fell apart and Saunders was looking to step in. Could argue that thats happening here? If theres a possiblity he could fight GGG or Canelo i have no doubt Fish Eyes would bin off the Murray bout. 

As for Tyson. I have no issue with the opponent. He looks good on paper and will have no doubt been chosen to make Tyson look good. It all depends on how Tyson looks. Unlike Haye with his comeback, Fury never relied on power so he really needs to show he still has the footwork and hand speed that made him so unique because of his size.

• Paid Members

Yeh and theres that, im not sure why Warren even went to the o2 with it. Any word on whats happening with Terry Flanagan? they surely cant put that back again.

...and has Tyson Fury explained why hes shaved his eye brows off?

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh and theres that, im not sure why Warren even went to the o2 with it. Any word on whats happening with Terry Flanagan? they surely cant put that back again.

...and has Tyson Fury explained why hes shaved his eye brows off?

Flanagan vs Hooker is scheduled to be on the Fury card this Saturday.