Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I Taylor is the best British boxer at the moment, maybe other than Joshua. He has looked so good in all the fights of his i have seen, against decent opposition as well. 

The thing with Yarde is, where do you step him up to? There are some beasts in his weight class. Maybe Franks playing the waiting game with him. Apparently he was offered a Kovolev fight but they turned it down, which was a wise move at this stage. 

Wilder spouting shite again now Joshua is more than likely fighting Povetkin. Wilder and his team seem like a bunch of idiots tbf.

• Paid Members
On 6/27/2018 at 10:10 AM, Porkchopcash said:

The thing with Yarde is, where do you step him up to? There are some beasts in his weight class. Maybe Franks playing the waiting game with him. Apparently he was offered a Kovolev fight but they turned it down, which was a wise move at this stage

yeah, its a tough one because Yarde lacks both pro and amateur experience. I do feel they are taking it a little too slow though. Yarde has been knocking guys over for a few years now with little to no threat of anything coming back at him. The fact that Yarde is so calm and almost arrogant in the ring plays into it here as well.

He's 15-0 but Warren is still reluctant to put Yarde in at British level, theres good Light Heavyweights in the UK Yarde should be mixing it with at this point, theres good fights to be made.

Ok looking card from Ireland tomorrow night on BT. Conlan is fighting as a bit of a homecoming, think its his first fight there as a pro, may be wrong. Theres a bit of a grudge match between two fighters as well, Carroll and Geraghty which ive been following on IFL, should be a lively crowd as always.

• Paid Members

Shit For Brains Schaub is at it again. Interview with Deontay Wilder...

It's embarrassing how biased Schaub is in this whole thing. He might as well be on his knees between Wilder's legs here. Just completely dismissive of the fact that there are two sides to this situation. I watched Eddie Hearn's hour long IFL interview on this last night and the difference between how Kugan conducted that interview and how Schaub handles this is night and day. Kugan mostly keeps his trap shut but when a point needs expanding on or explaining in more detail he'll push Hearn for more info. Schaub just blindly accepts, agrees and parrots what Wilder's side are saying. He says a couple of times here "we can't let Eddie Hearn paint his narrative" but he's just swallowed the Team Wilder version of events and doesn't seem interested in what the other side has to say. 

This was the perfect opportunity to get some answers from Deontay. Either Schaub hasn't done any research (does he ever?) into the Hearn/Joshua side of this or he has and has chosen to ignore it. He should've at least asked Wilder about Hearn's claim that he offered Wilder $5mil to do a warm up fight this year vs Brezeale, then $15mil for the AJ fight next April. And why it took them so long to get back to Eddie when he sent them the contract. Eddie said it was something mad like 10 days he was waiting for a response the most recent time and he had to keep asking the WBA for more time while he waited on a reply from Finkel and Wilder. He said something like 7x7 day extensions he asked for and they were done giving him more time. I'd love to have seen Schaub push for more info on that. But no. Just nodding and smiling in his skin-tight jeans, not wanting to rock the boat. He's useless. I didn't expect any better. 

Wilder made a couple of comments that were telling though. One, he said something about this whole thing making people want to see him fight more. That's what I suspect this was all about from the off, using AJ's name to raise Wilder's profile. And two, now he's saying that if the fight happens he wants a 50/50 split. So when the talks heat up again he's probably going to price himself out. It's a joke. I can't believe people can't see through it. Most of the comments I've seen are going 'Joshua is running scared' and slagging AJ's record off. But Wilder has fought pretty much nobody. His best win is over an old Ortiz who had high blood pressure. Joshua's got twice the résumé Wilder has, in half the number of fights. 

If you haven't seen it, watch the Hearn/Kugan interview. 

And compare that to Schaub/Wilder above. I've made no secret I'm no fan of Hearn but his version of the story makes a lot more sense to me. That's an hour plus of him talking about it, in detail, and he doesn't stumble over his answers or even really stop to think of a reply once. I get that fight promoters are expert blaggers but for an hour plus interview, you'd think he'd slip up somewhere. But it all rings true listening to him. He's even offered to sign the contract on IFL if they agree to the terms. Wilder's side is all bluster and 'he's scared' bollocks. No details, just bravado. 

Edited by wandshogun09

13 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

And two, now he's saying that if the fight happens he wants a 50/50 split. So when the talks heat up again he's probably going to price himself out. It's a joke. I can't believe people can't see through it. Most of the comments I've seen are going 'Joshua is running scared' and slagging AJ's record off. But Wilder has fought pretty much nobody. His best win is over an old Ortiz who had high blood pressure. Joshua's got twice the résumé Wilder has, in half the number of fights. 

I do think that Wilder wants the fight. It's his big payday. He won't get a fraction of the figure that he will get fighting AJ anywhere else. I think Wilder and his promotional team are milking the fight for all it is worth (as you alluded to). 

It's actually a dangerous game that Wilder and his team are playing. Joshua will likely beat Povetkin, but what if he doesn't? The fight would potentially lose a lot of its appeal and Wilder might lose out on his big payday. The sames applies with the rumoured Wilder vs Breazeale fight. It's not like Breazeale is a complete mug. I also agree about their respective resumes. Joshua's best wins are Wlad, Whyte, Parker, Takam and Breazeale. Whereas Wilder's best wins are Ortiz, Stiverne, and a washed up version of Arreola.  

I am actually surprised you stomached 20 straight minutes of Schaub. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I am actually surprised you stomached 20 straight minutes of Schaub. 

Haha I know. I sat through it in the hope that Wilder would say something that would shed more light on what's gone on. Unlike Schaub, I like to get both sides. 

I think Wilder is being poorly advised. I don't think he's scared to fight Joshua. And it would definitely be his biggest payday. But it would also be his toughest fight yet by fucking miles. And the people around him know it. I think they're the ones who are against him accepting the terms of the contract because they know this is where the gravy train might well end so they're trying to get as much money as they can for it before Wilder is exposed. I get it.  But there comes a point where you cross the line from trying to squeeze more money out of a deal to pricing yourself out of a deal. And if that offer Hearn is talking about it legit - $5mil vs Brezeale, then $15mil vs Joshua, then if Wilder beats AJ, 50/50 in the rematch which would be huge $$$...I don't think they're getting a better offer than that. 

Schaub tied himself in knots on this weeks podcast trying to hold up his side of the story. He started off relatively self aware, talking about how he only gets one side because he’s in LA and is mates with Wilder, but then goes on to explain why that means he’s right. It’s literally embarrassing. Fucking plum.

• Paid Members

James DeGale has vacated his world title saying he's looking at getting some big name fights to end his career. Weird move when you consider a George Groves unification is probably the biggest fight he can be in. Unless this means the Saunders thing is happening.

• Paid Members

Fish Eyes had said that if BJS fights DeGale it would be a Catchweight fight so neither of them could lose their title. I have no interest in that fight if it's not for a title as that would just be ridiculous. DeGale doesn't want to fight the mandatory Jose Uzcategui who is a bit of a beast. This is his bullshit way of trying to claim that he is still in the mix at Super Middleweight when he isn't. 

• Paid Members

Usyk vs Gassiev on ITV PPV then. Saw an advert for it during Corrie tonight. Who's buying that? I probably will end up paying for it, or more likely splitting the cost with my brother, because it's a genuinely great fight. But it seems really odd putting this on PPV when hardly any cunt over here knows who they are. How did Groves vs Eubank do on ITV PPV? I'm guessing not great. And that's two name British fighters. Usyk vs Gassiev will surely bomb terribly. Looking forward to the fight all the same. 

• Paid Members

I'm away that night but I would have bought it cause it's a backburner of a fight. Are they doing a deal to include the Groves/Smith final? I imagine there'll be some backlash but it's probably something to do with the deal WBSS struck with ITV. Hoping they keep them on for Season 2 though.