Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

What Hearn has been able to achieve has had me engaged in boxing for the first time - first through his roster and the way his stars carry themselves (though, not sure you can put that down to Hearn himself at all) and secondly how he’s managing to drag boxing to the 21st century, making use of digital and social media. It’s a relatively straight forward business model, but he’s doing a phenomenal job. Looking forward to seeing who Matchroom USA can attract.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Hughie Fury/Sam Sexton on ch5 tonight as well. Why is this in a football stadium? 

isnt it being held in some indoor venue/room at the football stadium? theres no way they are doing that outdoor, unless they've modified it to hold a 1000 people surely.

...im gonna watch though, nice to see the British title contested on terrestrial TV.

If you are with virgin who give bt sport free you dont get it though i think.

Selby Warrington should be a great atmosphere, Warrington has improved. When the fight was touted a couple of years ago and Warrington declined as he was getting married, at that point Selby would have schooled him i think. It should be a sellout and theough gritted teeth the Kaiser Chiefs will probably add to the atmosphere. 

Selby apparently struggles at the weight nowadays and looked fat at the first presser as well. Should be a great spectacle, but you would have to go with Selby on pts. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I know it's not exactly got people buzzing but Selby vs Warrington next week. 

Io0yCU.jpg

Who do you think wins? Who do you want to win? Give a shit? 

One thing that's probably a fairly safe bet is that it goes the distance. Neither are known for their power or finishes. I reckon it'll be a good fight though. And should be a good atmosphere with it in Warrington's backyard in Leeds. 

I like Selby on points myself but could possibly see Warrington's pace making Selby work harder than he wants to in the second half of the fight. 

Watched a few little bits and pieces just, a poor mans Gloves Are Off and stuff, and I'm a bit more interested in the fight now. Something about Warrington rubs me the wrong way, can't pinpoint what it is, so I'll be pulling for Selby. 

Its a bit of a strange one this. It's a great domestic fight, but you have a British World Champion who can't even sell out the Motorpoint in Cardiff, and Warrington who's massively popular in his home city but nowhere else, so its basically a massive fight for Leeds. These two guys needs each other though, it's the kind of rivalry that could help either man crack the mainstream a little more.

I fancy Selby to win, unless Warrington simply outworks him. It's likely going the distance and i expect the quality from Selby, Warrington is a workhorse though so he may outpoint him down the stretch. I really hope this thing delivers.

• Paid Members

Yeah, hopefully it's a really good fight. The last thing either man needs is a dull fight after all that's been said. A great fight in front of a big rabid crowd could potentially raise both mens' profiles. 

Last I read it's looking like the winner is probably fighting Frampton in the summer as well. Saw Frampton was saying the other day that Valdez won't be ready by then because of his jaw, so the Selby-Warrington winner looks most likely. That's what these guys need now, big fights against names. Selby in particular has felt like a ghost lately. Just no real profile or momentum or anything. Going into hostile territory and beating Warrington would be a good way to start turning that around. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, loved that. My FOTY so far. Linares came to have a go and he definitely had his moments, especially knocking Lomachenko down in the 6th. But Lomachenko did what all the greats do and came back and stepped it up yet another gear. The finish was beautiful how he disguised the body shot. Linares didn't see it coming and it just took him out of the game. Fantastic. 

The smoothness of Lomachenko genuinely makes me sad that I’ll never be that good or fluent at anything.

The way he stuck in a right, pulled out and delivered a lightning fast, slick same-hand upper cut? Fuck off. Insane.