Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Finally got around to watching The Gloves Are Off. Fuck me Tony Bellew is an irritating cunt. I'm not sure how much of Humble Haye I buy either but Bellew is the type of person who'd argue grass was pink just for the sake of an argument. I used to find George Groves constantly interrupting and talking over Carl Froch annoying but at least he was entertaining with it in his own way. Bellew's just an insufferable, contrary for the sake of it prick. If Haye would've been his usual arrogant self during the build up to this rematch Bellew would've blasted him for that, saying 'how can you be cocky when I beat you last time?' So, whether he genuinely means it or not, Haye takes the approach of not talking a load of shite this time and saying Bellew earned some of his respect last time they fought, and Bellew still can't stop bellyaching. It got to the point where I don't even know why Johnny Nelson was asking Haye questions because Bellew would just talk over his answers every time. I don't even particularly like Haye but I really hope he fucks Bellew right up Saturday night. 

• Paid Members

There was some handbags at the presser today.

I see what to are saying wand. but I can't help but like Bellew, I 100% understand why he rubs a lot of people up the wrong way though. Both guys here are pretty much marmite, that's probably why the fight and feud sells, pretty much every fans on one side of the fence and wants nothing more than to see the other guy sparked.

• Paid Members
On 29/04/2018 at 2:06 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Bradley Skeete got done in two rounds in Spain. Fish Eyes must be gutted. Especially after going on about Skeete possibly bagging a fight with Amir Khan the other day :laugh: 

Didn't watch all of the undercard, because it's a Frank Warren show and I haven't got a spare 6 hours to set aside. But if you get chance I'd recommend watching the Geoffrey Dos Santos vs Andoni Gago featherweight fight. Not a technical masterpiece by any stretch but a war from bell to bell. 

wasnt a Warren show, Skeete was put on a Spanish show because they cant tempt a champion over here to fightm because Skeete doesnt have a lot going for him. Like Terry Flanagan hes a good fighter with no real fanbase or commercial appeal, not a nice place to be as a boxer. Skeete was blown away here though, i felt a little sorry for him. The Spaniard looked like he'd be a lot of fun to watch given the right opponent.

The HBO show was decent. The Jacobs fight was solid but i was interested in the Big Baby fight. First time ive seen him proper, hes a handful thats for show. Not a massive puncher, and he appears plodding at times but very few heavyweights throw 800 punches over 12 rounds, especially one over 300lb. The guy is a handful.

I have had a couple of bets on tomorrow night's big Maint Event. I am thinking that they will both come out swinging & that it is unlikely to go the distance, So...
1, At least on fighter to take a count in the 1st Round.
2, Bellew inside the distance.
Given the outcome of the first fight, i was surprised to see Haye as such a strong favourite at 1/2. Really up for this bout, nobody is saying it will be boring! :)

I cant see Bellew coming out swinging, especially against Haye. Bellew, despite all his talk, is willing to fight the most boring of fights to get the job done. I imagine Bellew, much like last time will try to keep outer harms way for 4 or 5 rounds. The first fight was actually quite boring for the first five rounds, with Bellew only countering when he had to. People only seem to remember the drama from round 6 onwards. 

10 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

I cant see Bellew coming out swinging, especially against Haye. Bellew, despite all his talk, is willing to fight the most boring of fights to get the job done. I imagine Bellew, much like last time will try to keep outer harms way for 4 or 5 rounds. The first fight was actually quite boring for the first five rounds, with Bellew only countering when he had to. People only seem to remember the drama from round 6 onwards. 

Fair enough. So how do you see the fight ending? :)

• Paid Members

We're a day away now and I don't know whether it's wishful thinking or what, but I've got a feeling Haye is winning this tomorrow. I get the doubts around Haye with him being so injury prone but, providing he doesn't blow out a knee or something climbing the steps into the ring tomorrow night, I fancy him to get the job done. 

It seems to have been completely forgotten now but going into that first fight last March, pretty much everybody was predicting a Haye win. From boxing insiders to us nobodies. Now it's like people are acting like Haye is outmatched. I'd understand that if Bellew surprised everyone and clearly and comprehensively outboxed and schooled Haye last time, fair enough. But the injury was a major factor in how the fight played out. Whether people want to accept or admit that or not. It's like nobody is allowed to mention that. It's barely been brought up in the press conferences, don't recall it really coming up in the Gloves Are Off etc. And if anyone does bring up Haye's injury, it seems like people want to dismiss it as excuse making. I know a lot of people don't like Haye but how can fucking your Achilles tendon not effect you in a boxing match? From round 6 on Haye could barely stand, his balance was off, he wouldn't have been able to generate power on his desperate shots because of his leg, he wouldn't have been able to effectively get out of the way of Bellew's shots because his mobility was all to cock, not to mention the effect something like that happening mid-fight would have on you mentally. I don't get how anyone can brush it off as excuse making and act like it didn't have a massive effect on how the fight went. And let's not forget, despite all that, it STILL took Bellew until the 11th round to put a one-legged Haye away. Yet people were going on like he'd done something amazing. I didn't get it then, I don't get it now. 

Another thing that keeps coming up. Whenever people counter the Bellew love-in with 'well to be fair Haye was injured' the response always seems to be 'well Haye said he'd KO Bellew within 2 rounds and he didn't'. Yeah, and what? What's one thing got to do with the other? Haye talked a lot of shite before the first fight and didn't back any of it up. That's correct. But that doesn't make his injury any less valid or minimise the effect it had on the fight. The fight was competitive before the injury, credit to Bellew for that much, but wasn't Haye up on the cards like 4-1 after 5 or something before the injury? Another little detail people seem to have forgotten. 

I'm not saying Haye walks through Bellend tomorrow. I'm not even overly confident he wins. But I can't help feeling like a lot of people, Bellew included, are in a bit of denial about the injury last time. Acting like it had no effect on the outcome is all fine and dandy but I think it's resulted in a bit of complacency and people just expecting the same result this time.

By all accounts Haye has taken it a lot more seriously this time. I was watching a Paulie Malignaggi interview earlier and he was saying he was in Haye's camp last time and he really was doing close to fuck all serious training. He's come in lighter this time, while Bellew has come in slightly heavier. Can't read too much into that but I'd heard Bellew was planning to come in lighter himself for this, yet he's up a pound or so. What it does tell us is that Haye is coming in better conditioned and fitter, which should lessen the possibility of any nasty little surprise injuries. If Bellew goes 2-0 then fair play to the annoying wanker. But I think a lot of people are being extremely fickle predicting this one and basing it off some spectacular Bellew performance last time that really didn't happen. 

Fuck it, Haye by stoppage somewhere around the 6th-8th. SIMPLE AS THAH!

Edited by wandshogun09

After 5 rounds of their first fight, Haye had clearly won 3 of them, Bellew had won 1 round, with the 2nd round being a toss-up. On face value Haye was getting the best of it. Bellew claims that the gameplan was to pick up the pace after round 6 when Haye had slowed down. But because of the injury, we will never know if Haye would have slowed down enough for Bellew to take advantage. Also, fair is fair, Bellew had picked up a hand injury, which probably partially explains why he took so long to polish Haye off after round 6. 

Still, I have been arguing with my Brother for weeks saying that Haye is going to win. I have gone too far to change my prediction now. Haye via stoppage. 

• Paid Members

True about Bellew's hand, but as shit as hand injuries are they're obviously one of the most common hazards in boxing. It wouldn't have been as disastrous as a leg injury like Haye had. As the ponytailed villain in the Karate Kid 3 said, "if a man can't stand he can't fight". 

It probably did play a part in Bellew taking so long to get the stoppage but I'm also not convinced he carries that big a punch at heavyweight. 

Ah whatever, we'll soon find out what's what. 

7 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Fair enough. So how do you see the fight ending? :)

Fuck knows tbh! while i agree with everything Wandshogun has said, theres just something in the back of my mind that thinks Bellew may do it again. I think the fight will be similiar to last time in Haye winning the early rounds and Bellew coming back into it. I see it ending around 10-12 in Bellews favour. 

While Haye is the superior fighter i just dont see any momentum going in. Even in his last big fight before Bellew (Chisora 2012), he was blowing outer his arse when he got the knockout. Will be interesting.

Jamie Cox v Ryder should be a good toe to toe battle. 

You have to favour Joyce over Lenroy. Should be a good card. I heard Paul Butler didnt make weight first time, not sure if he did second.

• Paid Members

I forgot all about Cox vs Ryder. That'll be good. I like Joyce as well so looking forward to seeing him back in there. 

I'm hoping for Haye to school Bellew for a couple of rounds and then flatten him. I'd love to see what Bellew would say if it plays out like that. I get Porky's point on the momentum thing but the flipside is that Bellew has put a lot of pressure on himself to deliver tonight by talking so fucking much in the build up. The pressure should be on Haye here. He's 0-1 down and everyone, including himself, is saying this is a last chance thing and if he loses he's probably done. But by being such a gobshite Bellew has transferred a lot of that pressure to himself while Haye has kept quiet. You can tell that underneath it all, Haye is a bit pissed off by Bellew's talk. But I think it's Bellew who's been more wound up by Haye not biting. It's been a strange build up. 

Another reason I want Haye to win is that there are more big fights if he wins. Say Haye scores a highlight reel KO tonight, you can throw his name right into that mix at heavyweight. Fights with Joshua and Fury would be massive, although I'd expect Haye to get spanked by both, they're huge events. Down the scale, Haye vs Whyte could be fun. Maybe there's the possibility of Haye vs Wilder or Big Baby. Plus there's always the rubber match with Bellew. What massive fights are there for Bellew if he wins again? He's 2-0 over Haye so that's dead and the third fight is gone. Fights with the above heavies are too much IMO as those guys are too big for him. I've heard talk of Andre Ward but that just doesn't seem sexy enough. It certainly doesn't feel as big as Haye vs AJ, Fury or Wilder. 

So a Haye win tonight is for the best. In the interest of big fights in the future and for my own personal enjoyment. Bellew can piss off. #HAYEDAY

Edited by wandshogun09