Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

On 04/05/2018 at 7:53 PM, Lord-Mountevans said:

I have had a couple of bets on tomorrow night's big Maint Event. I am thinking that they will both come out swinging & that it is unlikely to go the distance, So...
1, At least on fighter to take a count in the 1st Round.
2, Bellew inside the distance.
Given the outcome of the first fight, i was surprised to see Haye as such a strong favourite at 1/2. Really up for this bout, nobody is saying it will be boring! :)

Sorry mate! I know shit!

• Awards Moderator

I'm amazed at the number of people who've bought into the 'Bellew is a gobshite' thing because of the stuff he says in the build-up to his fights. It's as if he's selling the event! We're on a wrestling forum and people are buying his promo. Amazing.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I'm amazed at the number of people who've bought into the 'Bellew is a gobshite' thing because of the stuff he says in the build-up to his fights. It's as if he's selling the event! We're on a wrestling forum and people are buying his promo. Amazing.

Of course I know when he's selling a fight but I've always just found him really irritating. He never shuts the fuck up, even when he's not talking about his own fight, and he's always saying the same old shite. For me it's not a question of buying into anything, just find him a twat. Haye is as well though so it was a no win/no lose kind of thing for me in a way. A div was going to win, and a div was going to lose. 

Got to begrudgingly give Bellew his due for this one though. Haye's not what he was but this was clear cut and was closure. 

Edit - how many times is Dave Coldwell going to start a sentence with "I can't put into words..." and "I can't explain..." only to go on and explain? 

Edited by wandshogun09

15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Why were Sky desperate to find Haye an injury? So weird!

I know!

He was out on his feet after the first knockdown in the 3rd and they were Obsessed with mentioning it must be an injury every couple of seconds, I fucking hate Carl Froch 

Had £20 on a Bellew KO, I’m glad I betted with my heart on this one. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Of course I know when he's selling a fight but I've always just found him really irritating. He never shuts the fuck up, even when he's not talking about his own fight, and he's always saying the same old shite. For me it's not a question of buying into anything, just find him a twat. Haye is as well though so it was a no win/no lose kind of thing for me in a way. A div was going to win, and a div was going to lose. 

Got to begrudgingly give Bellew his due for this one though. Haye's not what he was but this clear cut and was closure. 

He's never going to worry the CEO of Mensa, but he knows what he's doing in front of the camera. I'll happily admit I was wrong with my initial judgement a few years ago, but he's honestly such a great bloke. Two mates see him every week at their kids' footy and they can't speak highly enough of him. I get that he comes over as a dickhead, but he's pulled so many people's undies down when it comes to the perception they have of him.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Frankie Crisp said:

He's never going to worry the CEO of Mensa, but he knows what he's doing in front of the camera. I'll happily admit I was wrong with my initial judgement a few years ago, but he's honestly such a great bloke. Two mates see him every week at their kids' footy and they can't speak highly enough of him. I get that he comes over as a dickhead, but he's pulled so many people's undies down when it comes to the perception they have of him.

Fair enough. I don't think I'm ever going to be a fan but I can see what you mean. What we see of any fighter during the build up to a fight isn't going to be the most accurate reflection of who they are as a person. But it's all we've got to go on. 

What do we reckon is next for Bellew then? Is the Ward fight realistic? I haven't followed anything of Ward since he retired, has he even been talking about a comeback? I'm glad they're being sensible about Bellew and heavyweight though. It's one thing fighting Haye who's a small heavy and close enough in size to Bellew, but the rest of the big names at heavyweight are way too big for him. If he doesn't get the Ward fight, maybe he should retire like Coldwell and his missus want. Because I'm not sure how much better it gets for him than back-to-back stoppages over David Haye. 

I thought Haye was doing alright in the first 2 rounds. Then he got a bit cocky and tried to get in close quarters and it didn't work for him. He hasn't got the speed or any chin anymore. And with the arm & leg injuries and inactivity, his body can't hold up to pro-fighting. He's had a couple of good pay-days from these fights in return for a couple more blemishes on his record. Time to leave it there for him and step into promoting.

• Paid Members

Thought Bellow showed just how good a boxer he actually is. Granted, Haye is a shadow of his former self, but you can only beat the man in front of you and I thought The Bomber made him look amateur.

On a side note, I still don't see anything in Joe Joyce. Everything he did appeared to be in slow motion and cumbersome. Can't help but thinking he will get destroyed against even slightly better opposition. Oh, and I only saw the end of his ring walk, but what was with the Mexican shit?