Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I like Joyce. I don't think he's ever going to get to the very top simply because of who's around at the moment. With Joshua and Fury knocking about I just can't see him ever really getting a look in, especially with his late start as a pro. He'll probably end up fighting someone he's not ready for and that'll be that. Not everyone can be number one though. He's just another guy to chuck into the mix. Just strengthens the depth of the division as a whole. Seems a really nice guy as well, maybe too nice for boxing. 

The Mexican thing for his entrance was shite though. He looked awkward as fuck coming out with that massive sombrero on. His heart just wasn't in it and you could tell someone put him up to that to try and spice him up a bit. Needs to go back to the straight no nonsense ring walk with 'Simon Says' by Pharoahe Monch. He's never going to be a flamboyant character so why force it? 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Why were Sky desperate to find Haye an injury? So weird!

there was a moment where he clearly reached for the previously injured ankle after the second knockdown and shouted something to his corner, i think it went again. Sky having any defence for him was strange though.

Haye was just disappointing. Hes made a career out of selling the public a few turkeys. Hes got me hook, line & sinker on numerous occassions but i cant help but get caught up. He is nowhere near what he once was. Thought Bellew fought brilliantly though despite Hayes limitations.

• Paid Members

Can anyone explain to me why Haye has broken down quite so quickly? Looking at him last night in the ring, I thought he must be in his 40's but cosmetically on the money. Can't believe he's only 37, which is barely more than Bellew. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Hes just injury riddled. He's proven beyond doubt in both Bellew fights that hes got bottle but he something that always seem to be battling his own body as much as the guy hes trying to fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's weird, ever since the Klitschko fight and the old broken toe, he's seemed to just fall to bits. Injury after injury, fight cancellation upon fight cancellation. He had that one last proper Hayemaker performance against Chisora in what 2012? Then ever since then he's crumbled physically. We were meant to see Haye vs Fury in 2013, for fuck's sake. 5 years ago! 

• Paid Members

Having your body go to shit in your early 30's as a heavyweight must be a nightmare. It's a shame really, because there a load of fights a healthy David Haye could have that would absolutely rake it in. 

Agree that he's obviously still got some ticker, but was a bit like watching Taker at Mania last night.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

It's a shame really, because there a load of fights a healthy David Haye could have that would absolutely rake it in.

Absolutely. That's kind of what I was getting at yesterday. The heavyweight division is in a good place now, there's plenty of big fights to be made. So the division doesn't really need David Haye. But it certainly wouldn't have hurt to have a healthy and in form Haye around to add to the mix. Haye vs Joshua, Fury or Wilder would all have been massive fights. Although I wouldn't have favoured Haye in any of them. They would've been huge stadium events though no doubt. Luckily there's plenty of other big fights to make so the loss of a prime Haye isn't the blow it would've been in the days of the Klitschkos robotic dominance. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

It's a shame really, because there a load of fights a healthy David Haye could have that would absolutely rake it in. 

At least we got to see the dream fight that was Haye VS Audley.

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wasn’t he planning to go into acting once he retired at 30, so therefore focused on having the chiselled physique and ended up paying for it when he carried on fighting 

Perhaps. He did plan on retiring at 31. 

However, it is also possible that he was pushing himself too hard before that became the plan. According to Buncey, he was already stretching himself when he was a teenager. Regardless, the Chisora fight in 2012 should have been his swansong in retrospect. 

• Paid Members

Lomachenko vs Linares is next week! Not the hype-filled thing this was but purely as a fight it should be brilliant. 

Selby vs Warrington the week after as well, but I'm a bit indifferent to that one. Still, it's one after another at the moment. Then you've got Fury fighting on June 9th, Saunders vs Murray is coming up, it's non-stop. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

On a side note, I still don't see anything in Joe Joyce. Everything he did appeared to be in slow motion and cumbersome. Can't help but thinking he will get destroyed against even slightly better opposition. Oh, and I only saw the end of his ring walk, but what was with the Mexican shit?

I agree with you on Joyce. Matt Macklin seemed to invent a word on commentary for this fight which was "Clumbersome" That describes Joyce pretty well, clumsy and cumbersome.

I like watching Linares fight. But I can't see him being too much of a threat to Lomachenko.

Also he lost his trainer Ismael Salas to David Haye. He may be back for the fight but he hasn't been in camp for Linares which wouldn't have helped.

The post fight interview with Joe Joyce was cringeworthy. He has a brick personality. Needs Haye doing the talking for him.

• Paid Members

I felt a little sad for Haye during the Bellew fight. As discussed, his body clearly just isn't into the idea of boxing anymore. The injury he got during the Bellew fight is supposedly a bugger to recover from, isn't it?

GGG did a GGG. The combination to end it was beautiful.