Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, Kamran said:

AEW's ticket sales generally aren't great at the moment though, especially for the weekly TV shows, so I do wonder how big they'll go with it.

Haven't their PPVs been selling well, though? I might be wrong on that, but I was certainly under that impression. 

I'd actually love to see them do All In 2027 from Arena Mexico, the Grand Slam shows there have been so bloody fun, and if you add the magnitude of All In to that, you have the ingredients in place for another all-timer. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, RedTwoster said:

Haven't their PPVs been selling well, though? I might be wrong on that, but I was certainly under that impression.  

I think their business is generally good at the moment. The TV numbers have been hard to gauge since the Max streaming deal but what is released through traditional measures have been good. PPV will go the same way now MyAEW exists but they've generally done very well on PPV. Their attendances for PPVs are decent enough too. 

There is a fair point about the weekly TV attendances. They're generally low and they're still in a few poor venues as a result. If you're glass half full, you could look at getting a couple of thousand people to pay to watch you film a TV show as a success but compared to their own initial success, it's not great. Maybe that was always inevitable once the novelty of Dynamite coming to your city wore off but given it's almost PPV quality every week, it's got to be disappointing. I dunno what the solution to that is, if there even is one.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

There is a fair point about the weekly TV attendances. They're generally low and they're still in a few poor venues as a result. If you're glass half full, you could look at getting a couple of thousand people to pay to watch you film a TV show as a success but compared to their own initial success, it's not great. Maybe that was always inevitable once the novelty of Dynamite coming to your city wore off but given it's almost PPV quality every week, it's got to be disappointing. I dunno what the solution to that is, if there even is one.

Because it’s always wise to see how the market leader does, weekly WWE TV is down 30-50% of where it has been. I think recent Raw and Smackdowns have sold about 40-50% of their last visits there within the last 12 months, same venue. So weekly TV seems to be in a downturn once again.

  • Paid Members
Posted
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Because it’s always wise to see how the market leader does, weekly WWE TV is down 30-50% of where it has been. I think recent Raw and Smackdowns have sold about 40-50% of their last visits there within the last 12 months, same venue. So weekly TV seems to be in a downturn once again.

I don't think that's relevant to AEW. WWE had a lot of growth in their numbers and they're on the wane again. Similar to the way the overall promotion feels. Their numbers at the bottom are still pretty decent.

AEW's TV attendances have been really average for a bloody long time now. It doesn't seem to matter what the feel of the promotion is, how good the shows are, what they're doing on PPV, etc. The spikes are the shows outside the US. Inside, it's pretty consistent and rarely impressive. 

I'm not knocking the people who actually go to shows. Bar a few examples, they're normally awesome fans who generate a fun atmosphere. The problem is getting more to go, if those potential customers even exist.

  • Paid Members
Posted
42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't think that's relevant to AEW. WWE had a lot of growth in their numbers and they're on the wane again. Similar to the way the overall promotion feels. Their numbers at the bottom are still pretty decent.

AEW's TV attendances have been really average for a bloody long time now. It doesn't seem to matter what the feel of the promotion is, how good the shows are, what they're doing on PPV, etc. The spikes are the shows outside the US. Inside, it's pretty consistent and rarely impressive. 

I'm not knocking the people who actually go to shows. Bar a few examples, they're normally awesome fans who generate a fun atmosphere. The problem is getting more to go, if those potential customers even exist.

I could see it being a combination of things - I don't know if this is still the case, but their TV tapings have historically been incredibly long. That's surely off-putting for anyone considering a return trip. 

Added to that, you have the fact Trump's insane policies have create a whole new level of financial challenge for people in the States (and worldwide) - if you're going to make cuts to your spend, live events of any sort and paid-for entertainment is going to be topping the list.

I'm sure there are other factors too, but given how good AEW has been for the last two years and how they seem to be growing by pretty much every other conceivable metric, it does seem a bit strange. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Kamran said:

 

I think next year it'll probably be back in the US, especially consideing there will be no WrestleMania. They struggled with ticket sales for All In Texas, although I did see quite a few people saying the location wasn't particularly accessible. If they went somewhere like New York in 2027, you'd think they'd have a much better chance of getting a big crowd.

 

With them having run Arthur Ashe and Louis Armstrong Stadiums previously, if they can get Citi Field (depending on the New York Mets schedule)which is a stone’s throw away for those places that would be a good shout and is dead easy to get to and from (assuming they don’t run late and the Subway stops)

Posted (edited)

Is there a reason sometimes Collision has it's own taping and others where it shares? I wonder does it have any impact on ticket sales or do people walk out as it's late and not bother with collision? Even if the ticket sales don't rise much, does doing one taping save on travel etc. Feel like doing Grand Slam Paris as a sole show in Europe is odd though, it's quite a small arena. 

 

With regards to Wembley, I don't think it should be every year and next year it's Harry Styles playing the Friday and Saturday, meaning fitting the wrestling stages for Sunday could be difficult or Harry Styles has a date shadow booked if they want to add an extra date. I get why they did it the first two years running. Arthur Ashe stadium holds over 20,000 and I think that would be a great location although with no US Wrestlemania, a stadium show that get's over 30,000 should be a target. 

 

If they are doing UK in February, I can imagine they come back again the same year, possibly Forbidden Door again. I also think if you really wanted to you could do a two nighter event at O2 and both nights would probably sell well if it was decided Wembley wasn't feasible. 

Edited by westlondonmist
  • Members
Posted
12 hours ago, Zaheer said:

I'm just curious to understand your opinion about why "it's time to move it away" other than it looks a bit shit. I don't get how you've come to the conclusion

I just think a red hot crowd of that size in a smaller venue would look and sound much better. It's just a personal preference.

If everyone, and AEW, are happy with Wembley that's all that matters.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I think running All In at Wembley every two years is a good balance. Next year especially, with Wrestlemania in Saudi Arabia, running All In in the United States feels like a total no-brainer and a massive PR win if they play their cards right.

Yes, the attendance is smaller than it was in previous years, but it's still a massive number of people. And for Ospreay/Omega, the crowd were arguably louder than they were when there was twice as many in the building. I'm sure I read somewhere that their break-even point for a Wembley show on attendance alone is around 30,000 tickets sold, so it's never been anywhere near a failure.

I don't know  if they could make it work financially, but I'd love to see AEW run somewhere a little more visually interesting than the O2 for years that they're not running Wembley. In terms of it looking great, and for having a lot of prestige behind it, it would be great to see them run the Royal Albert Hall one year, even if it's "just" for a special edition of Dynamite rather than a full-blown PPV. No harm in a Grand Slam London next year.

Posted

I've always thought that Wembley looks great on TV. Especially once the light fades. It helped this year that they seemed to add a little to their production. I'd happily watch the Sting/Darby entrance from the first All In and Ospreay/Omega from this year, and the crowd being half the size means nothing to me. Having Wembley every other year can work. Where to go in those alternate years can be challenging. MLS stadiums in LA or NY areas? Northwestern just opened their new football stadium this season, that gives the Chicago area a modern 30k stadium that AEW should be able to make look good.

On the TV front. The standalone Rampages and launch of Collision didn't help. Spread things too thin, burns out crowds with double tapings. The expanded PPV schedule minimising the importance of TV has been another dent. Went from a 4-6k expectation for a Dynamite to grinding out 2-3k unless they are in major markets. It has been that way for years. There have been changes in that time thankfully as they faced the goldilocks problem. The extremes of Cavernous arenas and tiny residencies have been squeezed out of the rotation to where they are not as noticeable. Starting to go international a little more often. The golf arena and Jericho cruise giving some novelty.  

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

, it would be great to see them run the Royal Albert Hall one year,

The post All In episodes of Dynamite should be at Royal Albert Hall. It's obviously a beautiful venue for wrestling, would definitely sell out with a loud crowd and way better than the brutal transition from over 40k in Wembley to 2000 in Random US Town You've Never Heard Of.

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

Haven't their PPVs been selling well, though? I might be wrong on that, but I was certainly under that impression. 

I'd actually love to see them do All In 2027 from Arena Mexico, the Grand Slam shows there have been so bloody fun, and if you add the magnitude of All In to that, you have the ingredients in place for another all-timer. 

Yeah, generally they've done pretty well this year with the PPVs, the only one that comes to mind that struggled a little was Redemption but that could be blamed on the card too :) Although saying that, WrestleDream tickets have been on sale for around 2 months and they've only sold just over 4K and the event is in less than 2 weeks away. However that venue holds around 8K so it should still look okay on TV.

Oh and I totally agree on Mexico getting a PPV, they totally deserve one.

 

 

Posted

Twickenham could be a solid shout for a different stadium. Or perhaps one of the other national stadiums a la Hampden, Millennium or a big Scottish football ground? 

 

As I said before, would the Fulham management be happy with their boss plunging however much money into a rival PL team to hire their ground for an event? Mind you, the Etihad might be an option soon....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...