Paid Members RedTwoster Posted August 13 Author Paid Members Posted August 13 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: As well as Swerve, Kofi & Creed vs. Hangman & Brodido, you have to think eventually they would get to Swerve & The New Day vs. Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks, which with the right presentation could feel absolutely massive, there's years of the Bucks and Kenny working for a match with the New Day behind it. I hadn’t even considered that - but that’s a tremendous prospect, I’ve never cared about the trios belts, but if that’s what they did, it would single-handedly make their existence worthwhile for me. 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: on paper I don't know how I feel about Swerve with the New Day; it worries me that we'll get a deadly serious "no gimmicks needed" version of New Day, rather than them leaning into the fun side of things. That might happen at least at first, but I just can’t see a reality in which they wouldn’t be tempted to lean into and build on the inevitable chemistry they’d have with Nana. Nana managing Kofi and Creed is about as fun a partnership as I can think of for them. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted August 13 Paid Members Posted August 13 Realising that MJF is now AEWs OTC is mildly inspired. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted August 13 Author Paid Members Posted August 13 What’s the consensus on Paul Wight’s commentary? I’m really enjoying him, he brought a real energy to the desk during some of the matches last night - pretty essential given how bad the crowd were at times. When you can hear individual heckles (‘Sasha, come home!’) that’s never a good thing. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted August 13 Paid Members Posted August 13 (edited) Kofi and Creed coming in to form a Trios with Swerve is peak AEW booking. Something that never once crossed my mind, but is instantly cool as fuck. Immediately raises the Trios Titles higher than they have been in years. Hangman goes to Greggs with nonces and Swerve has floundered for the majority of the year, but together? You can never doubt this pairing. Always magic. Wrestling soul mates. Blood brothers. Edited August 13 by Supremo Quote
kidzero Posted August 13 Posted August 13 Have to catch up on last weeks collision and last nights dynamite..have to say aew is the best it's ever been really in its prime. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted August 13 Awards Moderator Posted August 13 5 hours ago, Supremo said: Hangman goes to Greggs with nonces and Swerve has floundered for the majority of the year, but together? You can never doubt this pairing. Always magic. Wrestling soul mates. Blood brothers. This. I stand by how I’ve felt about Hangman this year but the moment Swerve’s music hit, I went “ooohhhh” out loud. They are electric together. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted August 14 Author Paid Members Posted August 14 Some interesting comments from Eddie Kingston on his extended absence from. AEW television (at the 44 second mark): In short, he says his absence from AEW TV was of ‘his own doing’. Huge credit is due to Tony Khan here, he was getting pelters for not using Eddie, yet never came out to even hint that his absence was self-imposed. That must have been frustrating. Now that Eddie is back on AEW TV, here’s hoping it’s permanent. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 19 hours ago, RedTwoster said: pretty essential given how bad the crowd were at times. When you can hear individual heckles (‘Sasha, come home!’) that’s never a good thing. Yeah, they were awful. I love that AEW explores these different places and venues but going from one of the best crowds all year in Arena Mexico to a theatre in Vegas that looked like it was sold-out for the wrong show was pretty stark. Get Vegas on the blacklist, TK. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 14 Posted August 14 Vegas has never been much of a wrestling town, has it? I know more recently it's been used by both main companies but I've heard enough guys talk about it not being a great place to work. Outside of the absolutely bat shit National Wrestling Council in the mid 90's (one of the early ECW like companies, worth looking into) I can't remember hearing much about any home promotions, none that have lasted. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 Vegas is an odd market for all sports. They didn't have any major sports teams until fairly recently but have formed and NHL team, and attracted NFL and MLB teams in the last ten years. That's often been cited as due to the risks from betting but it means doesn't quite have that hardcore sports audience that other places do. That's changing though, I think. It's clearly a destination location so you can see why things like WrestleMania do OK there, especially the greatest WrestleMania of them all, Mania 9, and WCW did well at the MGM Grand for a few years. It was the home of Halloween Havoc for about 5 years and did reasonable crowds even at the death. The WWF used to go about once a year, if they bothered, but it has become a decent town for them, particularly through the Monopoly years. I think that makes it a place where wrestling is WWE. Can't knock a couple of thousand people for selling out and going to see AEW but they looked like they had no idea what to do when they got there. Quote
abucalves Posted August 14 Posted August 14 I know the New Day are more exciting, but the Lucha Underground fan in me wants to see Swerve bring AR Fox and Willie Mack in as his teammates Quote
Chili Posted August 14 Posted August 14 15 minutes ago, abucalves said: I know the New Day are more exciting, but the Lucha Underground fan in me wants to see Swerve bring AR Fox and Willie Mack in as his teammates They tried this with AR Fox once before and he couldn't get a visa. I will both throw my hands in the air in frustration and also burst into laughter if it turns out to be The Hurt Syndicate. Quote
Olly1984 Posted August 14 Posted August 14 5 hours ago, RedTwoster said: Some interesting comments from Eddie Kingston on his extended absence from. AEW television (at the 44 second mark): In short, he says his absence from AEW TV was of ‘his own doing’. Huge credit is due to Tony Khan here, he was getting pelters for not using Eddie, yet never came out to even hint that his absence was self-imposed. That must have been frustrating. Now that Eddie is back on AEW TV, here’s hoping it’s permanent. Really hoping Eddie gets to at least the finals so the crowd can show him how much he is appreciated, fucking love Eddie Kingston, promos always have you believing every word he says. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted August 14 Posted August 14 New Day are too obvious. It'll be Malakai Black and Enzo Amore. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted August 14 Author Paid Members Posted August 14 2 hours ago, tiger_rick said: The WWF used to go about once a year, if they bothered, but it has become a decent town for them, particularly through the Monopoly years. I think that makes it a place where wrestling is WWE. Can't knock a couple of thousand people for selling out and going to see AEW but they looked like they had no idea what to do when they got there. I suppose if you’re Tony Khan, it’s a hit you might be willing to take in the sense that the audience is much more likely to include people who are not regular fans - they’ve just decided to go there because it’s on and - to them - it’s different. So with that in mind, it’s an opportunity to make new fans, and reap the benefit from any positive word of mouth/social media traction even if the attendance is still relatively small. Slowly but surely, introducing new people to your show isn’t a bad thing, even if the audience reaction was on the night. I can’t imagine many people attended that show and had a bad time, it was very, very watchable. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.