Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Nigel/Mox final.

Dog Riders/Bang Bang Foley Gang.

Everyone else in the Gauntlet.

Sorted, throw a TBS Title Match in there and the All In card is done. Multi man pre show nonsense notwithstanding.

Edited by Chili
  • Paid Members
Posted

Is there somewhere I can place a wager the randomly drawn semi-finals are:

Nigel vs Orange

Mox vs Kingston or Claudio

  • Paid Members
Posted
10 minutes ago, Statto said:

Is there somewhere I can place a wager the randomly drawn semi-finals are:

Nigel vs Orange

Mox vs Kingston or Claudio

I wouldn’t count out KOR, as much as I dislike him. Tony Khan seems to be a fan, and there’s that long term story he’s run with in which he seems to have Moxley’s number. I could easily see them going with Moxley/O’Reilly again. I also think there’s a chance Jay White wins, to build up to a Bang Bang Gang vs Death Riders match at All In. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If they put Moxley vs O’Reilly on at Wembley, in the absence of a Jericho match I at least know when I can go for my wee break.

They definitely won’t do it at Wembley (…surely?) but I could see it being a semi-final based on their previous work together.

Posted

Still think they go with Mox/Nigel because of the hometown thing. Plus Mox needs someone he can work 20 minutes with so as a heel he can GIVE RESPECT to them afterwards. Boring fucker, love him, but I want Eddie Kingston to backfist him back into something in interesting.

  • Paid Members
Posted
42 minutes ago, Chili said:

Still think they go with Mox/Nigel because of the hometown thing. Plus Mox needs someone he can work 20 minutes with so as a heel he can GIVE RESPECT to them afterwards. Boring fucker, love him, but I want Eddie Kingston to backfist him back into something in interesting.

That does seem very likely, but I’d love to see someone else reach the final over Moxley, whether it’s White, Kingston or Claudio building up to to Moxkey obsessively trying to regain his title in the CC come December. I think this tournament becomes more interesting if Moxley ends up losing to someone who then carries the belt into the CC. 

White is such a good babyface that I’d like it to be him, but given how injury prone he appears to be, it could be a risk to go with him at this stage. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm very keen on Nigel McGuinness vs. Hechicero, that's exactly to my tastes, and Nigel going in hurt gives it an extra bit of intrigue beyond it being a showcase of two technical masters. It's the only match I've really wanted to see since the participants were announced, though naturally Eddie Kingston vs. Claudio Castagnoli should be a great time too.

I assume the final is Nigel vs. Moxley, with Moxley retiring Nigel at Wembley. You get a great three show cycle out of the Wembley shows then - Nigel announces the first one, comes out of retirement as a surprise at the second one, then gets an actual promoted singles match and retires at the third. 

I don't know if Nigel's injury is a work or not, but there's a great story in Nigel working hurt and having to get past a submission expert in Hechicero, then potentially either another in Kyle O'Reilly or just a brute like Claudio in the semi-finals, then taking all that accumulated wear and tear into a match with Jon Moxley wanting to pick him apart. I assume Moxley wins and retires Nigel, either he targets his injury or does the plastic bag gimmick. Having the "hometown" guy come up short creates a contrast and sows some doubt about Will Ospreay in the main event, but it also means that Nigel gets retired by the same guy who retired Bryan Danielson, and I think there's something brilliant in that, how even right at the end, in what should be the biggest moment of his career, Nigel is still being compared to Bryan. And that's before considering whether Bryan might make an appearance himself.

 

I laughed out loud when I saw that one of the matches for Dynamite has Ospreay teaming with the United Empire. All this talk about how he had to turn to the Death Riders because he had nowhere left to turn, nobody else to watch his back - only for it turn out that he could have just phoned them after all, he just didn't want to have a difficult conversation. That's the kind of drive you want in your top babyface! 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I laughed at it for a different reason - why the fuck are we wasting TV time on HENARE (who I do actually like) and the other lad on the penultimate Dynamite before the biggest show of the year??

@RedTwoster I'd counted O'Reilly out because I'd trusted @HarmonicGenerator's listing and thought Strong won the match... shows how much attention I paid. Think it depends who Nigel wants to wrestle on what I am also assuming to be a mini retirement tour.

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, Statto said:

I laughed at it for a different reason - why the fuck are we wasting TV time on HENARE (who I do actually like) and the other lad on the penultimate Dynamite before the biggest show of the year??

Yeah, it's very AEW to suddenly showcase a couple of complete randoms right before the biggest show of the year. I'm guessing the UE lads are in the country and going to end up with a pre-show All In booking. Also very AEW to have a story that started with the Death Riders, involved the Don Callis Family, has The Elite knocking about, to at the last minute throw in another faction. I've kind of excused AEW for not having even booked the Motor City Machine Guns since they first showed up, because I figured they didn't want to have another act to worry about in the build to the big show, but nope, here's FRANCESCO AKIRA for you.

I guess they're going for something with Omega teaming with the Bucks, and Ospreay needing back-up of his own against a common enemy, so they have equivalent matches. If those two matches are worked differently and show how they're in different headspaces heading into the match, it might be interesting. But they also feel like they might just be the same story - are the United Empire happy with what Ospreay has been doing, and are the Young Bucks happy with what Kenny Omega's been doing?

  • Paid Members
Posted

Now I really just wish Ospreay had said something along the lines of "I know I've alienated a few people in the locker room over the last few months, but there's some new additions to that locker room who I've really looked up to for years etc etc" and they used this as a (re)debut (they have had one AEW match before) for MCMG.

There's presumably some truth in that too as early in their careers Ospreay and Kip Sabian were an MCMG rip-off team (to the point where Sabian was straight up Sabin until a French ring announcer mispronounced and he decided to keep it)

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I don’t know why they’re bothering to say it’s a random draw

A random draw isn't a thing in many American sports. It's all predefined play-off spots and brackets. This is clearly not on the level, because that would be fucking insane, but a random draw per round is a novel concept to most of their home audience.

Four incredibly interesting matches. This tournament is really good.

My minor gripe is that they're calling it the C3 and that would have make perfect sense if they'd called it the Continental Challenge Cup. Still would have worked as an FA Cup rip off because that's officially the FA Challenge Cup too.

Edit: I have to take that minor gripe back, it is called the Continental Challenge Cup on the graphic!

Edited by tiger_rick
  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If they put Moxley vs O’Reilly on at Wembley, in the absence of a Jericho match I at least know when I can go for my wee break.

I'm not really a O'Reilly guy at all but let's not pretend his series with Mox was bad, it was great! 

To be fair I'm not hugely interested in any possible final as most the guys in the cup have no momentum or buzz at the moment whatsoever. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
58 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

To be fair I'm not hugely interested in any possible final as most the guys in the cup have no momentum or buzz at the moment whatsoever. 

I like how that's built over the last few shows. I wasn't sure about another tournament, especially one that will compare badly to the C2, I wasn't sure about half the field either. But, the matches have been good, the tounament has been given the right prominence and, importantly, the right person won every match - other than Strong & O'Reilly who should have both been fired into the Solar Eclipse - setting up a really good looking last 8. 

I thought White was the likely finalist but him against Moxley makes that impossible and although I think Mox wins, I wouldn't beat either of these guys so it's going to be a very interesting outcome. Claudio v Eddie is a nice grudge match. McGuinness v Hechicero is another match you didn't know you needed to see. 

It's also paying off Moxley being central to the promotion, both in the way Perry looked in defeat, and the possible scenarios with his history with Eddie, Claudio, O'Reilly, Switchblade, OC and the Callis Family run right through it and can be played up in every round. Then there's Nigel's side story. I think it's turning into a fun bit of business.

Nigel & Shibata even had that terrible Vegas crowd invested.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
6 hours ago, Statto said:

@RedTwoster I'd counted O'Reilly out because I'd trusted @HarmonicGenerator's listing and thought Strong won the match... shows how much attention I paid. Think it depends who Nigel wants to wrestle on what I am also assuming to be a mini retirement tour.

Oops! Clearly I harbour subconscious fandom for Roderick Strong. I had no idea 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...