Paid Members FLips Posted March 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2025 AJ Styles got a better match out of Shane McMahon than he did Shinsuke. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 10, 2025 Author Posted March 10, 2025 Nakamura is the only (other than Lex Luger) Royal Rumble winner since it became for a guaranteed world title shot never to win a world title in WWE. He was really hot for a bit and showed flashes of brilliance here and there, but the bloke is in his mid-40s and has been on main roster WWE TV for, what, eight years at this point? He's had a run and done some stuff but I don't think anyone would miss him if he left. His most recent run very much felt like the last roll of the dice with Shinsuke. Would he go back to Japan? Like I said, he's in his mid-40s and must be wrecked after over decades of wrestling (cagematch says he's had almost 2,200 matches), not to mention the incredibly harsh New Japan dojo training that must have taken some months off his career. I'm sure he'd be good for one or two big matches but I can't see him being a main player for a prolonged period of time. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted March 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2025 I saw Nakamura as a guy who only brings the level he's booked to - if he's treated as a big deal, you get NXT Nakamura. If not, he just brings the minimum. I haven't seen any of his stuff for years now, but whenever I see it described, it sounds like that *plus* age and possibly just adapting badly to a WWE style. I don't know if we'd see better from him elsewhere if he's a very occasional attraction, who can do more of what he wants when he wants, or if he's just a bit washed up these days. Probably worth a shot, I reckon, but with some gentle testing at first to see what you have rather than building anything around him. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted March 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2025 Nakamura had fantastic charisma in New Japan. WWE never really saw that. I think it was probably more down to him than to the way they booked him. They gave him every chance and he never took it. A shame really but I'm sure he has made a ton of money and he doesn't strike me as someone who pissed it all away. I'd imagine he will pick and choose what he wants to do now. I don't really want to see him in AEW if I'm honest, they have a loaf of talent that needs more focus, not more dilution. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2025 42 minutes ago, Chris B said: I saw Nakamura as a guy who only brings the level he's booked to - if he's treated as a big deal, you get NXT Nakamura. If not, he just brings the minimum. Outside of his debut match with Sami Zayn, I struggle to think of a memorable match he had in NXT. Personally, I found him very underwhelming. I suspect he probably will rear his head in AEW, I can’t imagine that Tony Khan would be able to resist the temptation of putting Nakamura against the likes of Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted March 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2025 The only thing I remember him for besides the Sami Zayn match. The only other good piece of work he did. His time in the US also brought a weird surfing friendship between himself and James Ellsworth. Quote
Chili Posted March 10, 2025 Posted March 10, 2025 11 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said: The only thing I remember him for besides the Sami Zayn match. The only other good piece of work he did. Completely forgot about that. That little wink he gives is first class ha. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted March 10, 2025 Posted March 10, 2025 Aside from the great match with Sami Zayn in NXT, he had a good match with John Cena on Smackdown early in his main roster run, which gave me hope for should they do something more long term between the two of them in the future. Unfortunately that never materialised due to Cena getting more acting roles. Losing two straight PPV matches (both of which I think had the exact same finish) to Jinder Mahal didn’t do him any favours, but he was still over enough to win the Rumble and get the match against Styles for the belt at Wrestlemania. Then they beat us over the head telling us that it was going to be a certified classic, only for it to end up being bang average. They had marginally better matches as the feud went on, it once that was done he was done too, and he’s been coasting ever since. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted March 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2025 Just having a quick read up on Shinsuke and what happened after his feud with AJ and completely forgot he received a minor injury when he was bitten by a police dog. https://web.archive.org/web/20180628024613/https://deadspin.com/dog-bites-man-who-happens-to-be-wwes-shinsuke-nakamura-1827190545 Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 12 hours ago, TheBurningRed said: Just having a quick read up on Shinsuke and what happened after his feud with AJ and completely forgot he received a minor injury when he was bitten by a police dog. https://web.archive.org/web/20180628024613/https://deadspin.com/dog-bites-man-who-happens-to-be-wwes-shinsuke-nakamura-1827190545 This story explains why Vince wasn't keen on him. It says he was taken to a "Local Area Hospital" Vince would hate that. Its a "Local Medical Facility" goddammit. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 Apparently the stuff about Nakamura leaving is false, with it originating from a quote circulating on social media falsely attributed to Wade Keller. Sorry, Tony Khan. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 15, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 15, 2025 According to Fightful, WWE have signed Jeff Cobb. Can’t say I’ve seen much of him outside of his match with Moxley in AEW, and his run as Matanza in Lucha Underground - and he didn’t always look the best there. What’s he like as an in ring talent these days? Is he any good on the mic? Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted March 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 16, 2025 I bloody love Jeff Cobb but he strikes me as more of an AEW guy. He’s a hoss and can have a belter against the right opponent, but he is also short and only an OK promo. That said, in a singles setting he’s better at 10 mins or less slobberknockers which play to his strengths, those being his superhuman strength, physical charisma and deceptive athleticism. Also good in a tag team. I can see him delivering immensely satisfying TV matches if. I’m gutted we won’t get to see him vs Takeshita again any time soon as their match in last year’s G1 was a belter. Would like to see him against Sheamus, Gunther, Gable, Dragunov. Also maybe let him throw Otis about. Will definitely be watching to see how he gets on. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 16, 2025 Surprised they were interested. He's very short and bad at anything character/promo related. Can't see him going anywhere. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.