Joke and Phrase Retirement Home

gmoney

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

Yes, and on a different note, this also can apply when you see people use terms like "cancel culture" or "virtue signalling". 

Haaha! Touche. Don't disagree, not a fan either. Got to be first time using it myself and was reluctant to for that reason, but unfortunately was the apt term. Not surprised it would get jumped on.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It's a reactionary right wing garbage term designed to mock people who express disgust at things they find abhorrent, or indeed support for things they believe in. It kills the credibility of anyone who uses it in my eyes. Maybe I genuinely believe Logan Paul is a horrible human being based on the many awful things he's done, yet also begrudgingly admit he's a natural at pro wrestling. Perhaps I find that a bit jarring, and feel like expressing that when I post about watching him do the pro wrestling when he has just recently done one of those awful things he likes to do. 

Or MAYBE I'm saying that solely for those delicious green reputation points. Maybe I'm virtue signalling RIGHT NOW. Maybe UKFF city is in trouble and I'm trying to alert Virtue Man. You will never, ever know if it was the apt term or be able to accurately assess the authenticity of my virtuous postings. I'm really virtuous though, I promise. 

Edited by JLM

25 minutes ago, JLM said:

people who express disgust at things they find abhorrent, or indeed support for things they believe in.

Sure. That can be admirable. The use of the term was to display the hypocritical nature of simultaneously doing so whilst making somewhat abhorrent comments in the process. So maybe I sent the signal after all! Regardless, I shall cry no more. 

"Honestly people dont talk about >something< enough"

Mostly because its usually something that doesnt really warrant much discussion in 2024. Its usually something mundane / entirely forgettable. In a wrestling context its usually like "honestly people dont talk about Seth Rollins team with Buddy Murphy enough".

Yeah, right you are. The internet should be absolutely ablaze with deep and interesting conversations about this. 

"...but we are not ready for that conversation"

Another one almost exclusively used by smug bell ends to illustrate the unimaginable power of their huge brain. 

There also seems to be a complete obsession with GENERATIONAL and GOAT 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2024 at 1:12 PM, MachoLibre said:

"X number of sleeps"

Abhorrent. Grown adults counting “sleeps” like children waiting for Santa. It’s usually cretinous “Live Laugh Love” banter widows who call everyone “babes” and drink Prosecco.

Edited by air_raid
Types vibes

• Paid Members

I’m an old miserable bastard as well because I agree with most of what’s been posted in this thread so far. 

“We are so back” and “He is him/she is her” are two that have been irritating me lately.