Promotion Names

Vamp

Let's celebrate the weird, wonderful and shite names of wrestling promotions. 

Do they matter? Probably not.

During the Chikara shutdown storyline there were a string of "Wrestling is" promotions. I never really liked "Wrestling is Fun." I get that it doesn't really matter but there's something about Wrestling is Fun that always felt a bit desperate to me. The idea that wrestling is fun seems like it should be self explanatory, and to make it a promotion name that you'd put on a poster seems a bit like you're pleading with people to come. "Wrestling is Fun! We promise. Look, it's our name, it must be true!"

There's the obvious example of TNA. 

Posted (edited)

come to think of it I was looking at episodes of Occupation Of the Indies/Indiez yesterday. Used to sit there doing that in college when I was trading stuff wondering what the fuck promotion called like GUTS, BIG MOUTH LOUD, 666 or SKULL SHIT could be like. Still don't think i've seen any SKULL SHIT but seen plenty of FU*CK. (!!)

EDIT - not at work or anything so I googled SKULL SHIT and there's conflicting results, might have actually just been an event name. If anybody has any pertinent SKULL SHIT info please post it here.

Edited by Cannibal Man

WAR, which is a brilliant name, but it's actual two definitions, Wrestle Association R and more specifically Wrestle and Romance are wonderfully bizarre and I'm guessing lost in some sort of translation. Unless Tenryu had some curious ideas he never got round to beyond random 6 man tag teams.

Not watched yet but I recently came into possession of some HUSTLE shows. No idea why it was called HUSTLE because I don’t believe it’s an acronym but the cards sound up my street.

• Paid Members

Control Your Narrative has to be one of the worst ever. 

I really liked the name ICE RIBBON, but wish I had never looked up what the ICE stands for. Innocent Candies Evolution. Ewwwww. 

I've been to some shows by promotions with strange names

Labour Of Love - weird name
Dark Arts Entertainment - weird name
Fight Forever Wrestling - worse name ever for a promotion
Broken Ring Wrestling - very strange name.  The least I expect from a show is that their ring isn't broken.  Yet, their ring wasn't broken - so what's with the name!
4 Star Wrestling - we're good, we're very good, but we could be better.

My favourites have been Banger Zone Wrestling, Pandemonium Pro Wrestling, Traditional Championship Wrestling, Relentless Wrestling, 

• Paid Members

I quite liked "Fight Club Pro" as a name. "Lucha Britannia" is pretty good too. 

Also, quite liked stuff with colons in (which fits in with this place's general behaviour) - it makes them sound very niche and ramshackle, to my mind:

NWA:UK

NWA:TNA

IWA:MS

IPW:UK

AWA:UK (that was one of the most mystifying names)

NWA: Wildside

IWA:PR

1 hour ago, Chili said:

WAR, which is a brilliant name, but it's actual two definitions, Wrestle Association R and more specifically Wrestle and Romance are wonderfully bizarre and I'm guessing lost in some sort of translation. Unless Tenryu had some curious ideas he never got round to beyond random 6 man tag teams.

There was also  Wrestling Association of Rugby (the town, not the sport)

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 7:23 PM, TheScarlettChad said:

TNA is a horrendous name, really.

Proper Vince Russo shite.

Yep, even if they just dropped the TNA part and kept NWA** it would have made more sense, not sure what happened but can't imagine JJ had the money to buy it At the time.

Edited by RoryT

• Paid Members

Not saying they’re good names for rasslin companies but I always liked that Shimmer had a sister promotion called Shine.

This probably shocks you but dork that I am, I quite like the native names of Zen Nihon and Shin Nihon for All Japan and New Japan, especially when you consider “Shin” can also translate as “true” as well as “new” which is befitting for the first big splinter group. Yes, surprising as it may be to some, All Japan is in fact umm newer than New Japan - Inoki splitting from the JWA to do his own thing in January 1972, Baba following suit in October.

In my ficfed, which I always imagined staying fairly “indy” level, I occasionally had people go missing for a bit because they’d got booked on a tour of Small Japan Pro Wrestling. Yes, I think I’m both creative and hilarious.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chili said:

And Wrestling Association Of Rugby!

Edited by CharlesTuckerTheThird
Oops, didn't see the other reply, sorry!