Eurovision 2024: Malmö Calling

johnnyboy

33 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Odd one to pick out, considering there were examples of people wearing far less - or Finland where the fella was mostly completed naked.

I didn't really notice it being any more provocative than previous years, but I've seen this 'not suitable for children' thing used as an insult a few times.

Have Eurovision ever advertised themselves as being for children? I always think there's an odd assumption that because some people might choose to watch something with their kids, the product should then bend to their idea of what's acceptable for their kids.

It's essentially become the biggest mainstream outlet of LGBTQ+ pop culture, outside of the Pride Marches, in Europe hasn't it? Plus, it's scheduled to go on until midnight. I don't think there's any expectation that it'll be for children, nor should there be.

I picked out Ireland as I thought it was not entertaining and had no redeeming quality.

While Eurovision is not specifically aimed at kids it is fair to expect a singing contest on BBC to be a tad less sexualised and distasteful than what I saw yesterday.

Eurovision is an outlet for LGBTQ pride and it's my belief that it would still very much be that even if they toned things back to basics and, shock horror, focused on the singing.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I picked out Ireland as I thought it was not entertaining and had no redeeming quality.

While Eurovision is not specifically aimed at kids it is fair to expect a singing contest on BBC to be a tad less sexualised and distasteful than what I saw yesterday.

Eurovision is an outlet for LGBTQ pride and it's my belief that it would still very much be that even if they toned things back to basics and, shock horror, focused on the singing.

See, I think 'focus on the singing' would strip it of its identity. Its obviously grown to be more than a singing competition, and is a reflection of both national cultures but also continental inclusion for the LGBTQ+ community, who have taken the competition to heart and to new heights.

I actually don't think it's the right argument, as I don't think it was any more sexualised than any mainstream pop music over the last twenty or thirty years, whether it was Pussycat Dolls asking for people to be freaks or Another Level licking people up and down or Peter Andre making my old dear go dizzy with his abs.

But, to the extent, queer culture can be seen to be overtly sexual that's - I assume - because that's their reclaiming of the thing that saw them persecuted for centuries (and still to this today). So I don't think it's something to clutch pearls about, it's something to celebrate that we live in a time which, though far from perfect, still has green shoots of humanity like this which allows communities to express themselves on national telly.

The kids can watch something else for a night if people are that concerned.

And... Ireland were robbed.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

See, I think 'focus on the singing' would strip it of its identity. Its obviously grown to be more than a singing competition, and is a reflection of both national cultures but also continental inclusion for the LGBTQ+ community, who have taken the competition to heart and to new heights.

I actually don't think it's the right argument, as I don't think it was any more sexualised than any mainstream pop music over the last twenty or thirty years, whether it was Pussycat Dolls asking for people to be freaks or Another Level licking people up and down or Peter Andre making my old dear go dizzy with his abs.

But, to the extent, queer culture can be seen to be overtly sexual that's - I assume - because that's their reclaiming of the thing that saw them persecuted for centuries (and still to this today). So I don't think it's something to clutch pearls about, it's something to celebrate that we live in a time which, though far from perfect, still has green shoots of humanity like this which allows communities to express themselves on national telly.

The kids can watch something else for a night if people are that concerned.

And... Ireland were robbed.

Well we're clearly not going to agree 😂 

I think some recent contests have been excellent showcases of singing and staging and not resorted to what I consider cheap sexualising performances. I actually find it a tad, I'm not sure of the word, maybe disrespectful, that it can be suggested that it would loose its appeal to the LGBTQ community if it were to be toned down from yesterday. 

And yeah, Ireland was not my cup of tea and its fair to say never will be. If I could compare it to Lorde (maybe a similar act), I would suggest Lorde performed a great rock song while Ireland yesterday was disturbing "art"/drama that some might like, but I really don't, especially in a singing contest.

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ve seen a few posts similar to this. Is it real, who knows...

It's plausible depending on the country you choose to vote from as card micropayments is one verification method.  The easiest way has always been Eurovision fans trading televotes on forums.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I think some recent contests have been excellent showcases of singing and staging and not resorted to what I consider cheap sexualising performances. I actually find it a tad, I'm not sure of the word, maybe disrespectful, that it can be suggested that it would loose its appeal to the LGBTQ community if it were to be toned down from yesterday. 

I'm not saying that. For one, I don't think it needed toned down, and for two, I enjoy what Eurovision expresses; the quirks of national identity, stripped of the jingoism for the most part, and a platform for the creative freedom for the LGBTQ+ community, which is often closely tied to sexuality as a way of reclaiming something for themselves.

Seeing each year these unique artistic/cultural mash-ups is great.

If that changes and becomes something else, either toned down or different entirely, great. I'll enjoy that too. Providing its not changed because someone's worried about Little Timmy and his childhood sensibilities and is changed because the way those national identities and personal identities are expressed has changed.

I'm just a passenger and a viewer. And if someone wants to wear a liederhosen and play a nose flute, or wear a crotch pouch and play the tit fireworks, I'm there for it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

51 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

If I could compare it to Lorde (maybe a similar act), I would suggest Lorde performed a great rock song while Ireland yesterday was disturbing "art"/drama that some might like, but I really don't, especially in a singing contest.

Not having that, Lordi weren't even attempting to be performance art. They just did exactly the same thing they'd done for a few years and after years of controversy Finland finally caved to pressure and said "fine we'll send a metal band like you keep voting for, come last in our semi final and you can all fuck off". The only comparison between the two really is that there was a bit of satanic panic and they were a bit heavier in sound than what people expect from Eurovision, although thanks to their success now we're seeing a few more rockier songs creep in and there's usually one in contention most years. Got to be honest though, didn't expect an afternoon slot at the festival fun time band dressed as monsters waving an axe around with a few sparklers to be quite so influential in the direction Eurovision performers would take.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I actually don't think it's the right argument, as I don't think it was any more sexualised than any mainstream pop music over the last twenty or thirty years

And sexualised can be era comparative 

memba-bucks-fizz.gif

I don't follow Eurovision but my social media has been overrun today with people arguing over Bambi Thug, with pretty much every thread being post after post of bible shaggers complaining about satanism with equal amounts people trying to be clever and pointing out "its Paganism, actually... :smug::smug::smug:".  It's just Eurovision guys, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  For what it's worth I've watched the performance and thought it was a cool concept and a great spectacle, which is pretty much what I'd hope for if I was watching at home.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I just watched the performance because of the discussion in this thread. Very bemused here that this is what LEGIT is clutching his pearls about 😄.

It was also after the watershed. If Eurovision was shown late afternoon, maybe they had an argument.

Bambi Thug was on before 9 so they were pre-watershed. Not that it matters, it’s really not anything to get worked up about given everything else swirling about at the moment.