Eurovision 2024: Malmö Calling

johnnyboy

18 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's going to be interesting to see how much she gets booed tonight and whether they make the final. 

Into second favourite with the bookies to win after last night 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Rob Lowe said:

Jemini got a three second shout out in the low scorer compilation!

Gigantic pop for that in my living room.

My daughter always picks the sad lads from Switzerland, which seems to have been a recurring theme of their entries the last few years, but she might be on to something this year as Nemo has grown on me massively.

Switzerland to win the juries, Croatia to win the televote, with Finland doing well in both to take the overall crown and so that we get the Moomin interval act we all deserve next year.

Personally, I was disappointed that San Marino didn't make it through. Came across Megara a few years ago at Download, then saw them again last year in a support slot and quite like them but it is what it is. Like Lord of the Lost last year it doesn't really matter and I'm sure a few bands are now taking it as a chance to just advertise and maybe win a few fans.

Surprised to see how much Israel have shot up from being in the mix of groups that could end up practically anywhere to so close in the odds. I suspect that means they got a lot of the vote last night since the song itself is one of those you'd normally bracket as "fine" and didn't really have much special about it. Going to make the final voting interesting at least!

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

Into second favourite with the bookies to win after last night 

Italy released their televote numbers after the semis last night and they gave Israel an obscene 39.3%!

Although the channel released a statement saying those numbers are incomplete and were a mistake.

If they are legit and other countries do the same. Israel will win by a mile. The unhappy crowd chanting "Cha Cha Cha" at Loreen after she won last year was a bit embarrasing. Imagine we get the usual jury votes, then Israel suddenly wins in the end with a huge televote. The booes will cave the stadium roof in.

Also Netherlands lad didnt perform at this afternoons rehearsal after an 'incident'.

"We are currently investigating an incident that was reported to us involving the Dutch artist. He will not be rehearsing until further notice. We have no further comment at this time and will update in due course." - EBU

I should have never watched the Semi. I'm staying off the Eurovision subreddit, too much drama for me!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Any idea what the 'incident' was? Sounds rather serious that they'll boot them out, potentially, for it 

Nothing concrete at the moment.

"There was some confusion inside the arena during rehearsals as Klein’s song Europapa was skipped without explanation and Israel’s entrant Eden Golan, who was next in the running order, took his place.

The last-minute change suggests the "incident" was recent – maybe even taking place as the two acts waited backstage." - The Beeb

I going to unhelpfully speculate it was an anti war message on his clothes or set dressing.

Edit - Ooh the Beeb article says hes not been booted out of the voting montage, so hopefully this can be sorted.

Edited by Rob Lowe

There's going to be a lot of stories flying around. Apparently a press conference has been cancelled and there's talk of the Czech song being rehearsed. It'll just be one of those things to wait and see on as I'm sure there'll be a million rumours and one might almost be right.

• Paid Members

Pinned comment on Reddit:

Hi everyone. Here is the latest news.

As of 18:46 CEST, According to SVT, the Swedish national broadcaster, there was an incident between Joost and a photographer, which led us to where we are now.

As soon as we have any more confirmed information, I will add it to this comment.

In the meantime, we kindly remind everyone to not spread misinformation or unfounded claims. This is a sensitive situation, and it's important that we don't cause any additional harm.

Thank you for your patience.

• Paid Members

Joost Klein will not be performing in the jury final that's happening right about now.  The jury will view his performance from semi-final 2 to award marks.

Absolute scenes.

It was not well received when they announced it at the start of the evenings show and created an even tenser atmosphere than there was before. I'm assuming that we'll get news after the performance tonight ends as to what is happening and what is supposed to have happened. The main story being reported by some places is that he hit a journalist/photographer and is suspended pending the investigation. It is very strange timing as it presumably happened while people were doing the set up for his performance judging by the fact that mid set up they were told to put everything away again, which would imply there were witnesses so not entirely sure why if that story were true all this is taking over things (it stops people talking about the dubbed Israel cheers at least ha ha) and just making the whole event look worse and worse. This on top of reports of delegations being... unpleasant... and media censorship and everything else the EBU are being accused with just makes it worse.

It's a shame all the extra discourse has taken over the whole event. Personally, I think that the average field is pretty solid and while I wouldn't normally listen to most of it I thought pretty much everything getting through was at least listenable, as were most of the ones that didn't which makes a nice change but already it's pretty clear that the shit show around it is going to be the story rather than just a simple "and this country won the Eurovision Song Contest last night" report.

I'm not watching for the first time this year because I think this is all really uncomfortable and I'd rather not. But Christ imagine if the most controversial country in the competition wins after press from their country play a part in getting another country cancelled from the show. That'll be quite the fun feeling in the arena won't it.