Eurovision 2024: Malmö Calling

johnnyboy

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Just a quick reminder that it's Eurovision week.

Semi Final 1 is tomorrow on BBC One at 8pm

You can get your semi-scorecards from the Beeb here.

For the first time the Big 5 (+host) will perform during the semis rather than just being shown as a video snippet, even though they're already guaranteed a spot in the final.

Watch out for Windows95man (now with a blurred out logo, hence the Rules Applied Version tag on this).

Edited by johnnyboy

I like that the big 5 songs get an airing at the semis this year, annoyingly I'm going to see Withnail and I on Thursday so won't get to see semi 2 live but I'll watch it instead of TOTP on Friday. I remember liking the Irish entry when I saw it in January or whenever it was, no idea how it goes now though. Rim Tim Tagi Dim the Croatia entry is a banger and seems to be popular at the bookies. Ollie will have to pull out a spectacular performance to get us off the right side of the board with a pretty bland song, I haven't seen the rehearsal footage yet but no doubt it'll outrage the right people. 

The most wonderful week of the year!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

I haven't seen the rehearsal footage yet but no doubt it'll outrage the right people.

If I were to describe it in two words they would be "full" and "on."

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

@johnnyboyis there anything this year that matches the bizarness of a song about Edgar Allan Poe.

POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE. 

Bambie Thug - Ireland's first real shot at getting a high placing in years - has caused a bit of a minor Satanic Panic with our far-right gobshite freedom fighters who mentally project themselves onto Cú Chulainn over here. It's been immensely satisfying watching the exact people who bemoan offence culture throwing a strop because somebody with spooky makeup is doing the Eurovision for us this year. 

So I mean yeah, in musical terms it's totally My First Marilyn Manson, but in Eurovision terms? Ireland are sending a non-binary witch from the back arse of Cork and I'm here for it. 

Just a shame it's happening against the backdrop of the Israel controversy. I get that this is the daftest thing ever and it should be taken apolitically, but that's not really how it goes, is it? The competition's frequently had political undercurrents. The competition this year is sponsored by an Israeli company. I wonder how that could play into the votes. I tend to take it on good faith that the hardcore audience for this thing just go for the most ambitious/quirky tunes but I'm sure some people will vote based on sentiment on the conflict. In the bookies odds we're just ahead of Israel as probably the most overwhelmingly pro-Palestine country in the EU so there's some intrigue there. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

@johnnyboyis there anything this year that matches the bizarness of a song about Edgar Allan Poe.

POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE POE. 

You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

21 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

The competition this year is sponsored by an Israeli company.

As it has been for every contest this decade since Rotterdam (the once that happened).

Edited by johnnyboy

20 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

As it has been for every contest this decade since Rotterdam (the once that happened).

Ah okay, didn't know that!

I'm not implying it was intentional choice to get such a sponser in this year to make a political point, just for clarity, more suggesting that the presence of such a sponser could influence certain decisions. 

Anyway, I'll be tuning in as per annual weird tradition with my mum and sis! 

The host city isn't called "Malmo" so I worry that the commentary is gonna drive me mad across the three shows. I hope Mills, Rylan and Norton have learned to say Malmö properly but I fear they either won't bother or they'll lapse as the hours tick by and the whisky glass begins to empty. 

• johnnyboy changed the title to Eurovision 2024: Malmö Calling