Jinders Gone - Does anyone care?

Khali being shameless/shrewd enough to get himself pictured holding the WWE Championship aloft at any opportunity does get him a few bonus points. He doesn't give a fuck what the "boys in the locker room" think. That pictures framed and taking pride of place at Khali HQ. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I treat Khali as a world champion very differently, because the title he won had only been around for about five years when he won it, and didn’t really mean a lot anyway. Jinder won the title, the one that’s supposed to go back to 1963 as the pinnacle of the company. That’s worse.

Plus Khali might have been awful to watch but he was believable as a threat, having beaten The Undertaker and that. Jinder was a jobber that magically became champion. That ridiculous sudden leap from nobody to the top spot never fools anyone.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Jack Swagger surely is worst title holder ever?  Won it from Piss Jericho, lost in within 3 months and has never bothered the main event scene since.  

Worse - was a crap challenger for Del Rio after winning a Chamber where he was the worst possible winner. Cracking nights work for Mark Henry, mind.

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I will be monitoring this thread for the foreseeable future, checking for any JBL slander.

Don't. Just don't.

I’d only be repeating myself. No justification for one of the Acolytes to win the big belt two months after doing jobs to Bashams. Pathetic.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, TheScarlettChad said:

To think, Swagger partaking in "The Herb" saved us from another Swagger World title run.

I think his challenge was only ever down as a Trojan Horse for Ziggler. The story goes that the original plan was for the “cash in” to occur at Mania itself, but Del Rio played his face that he should get a big win at Mania, having been denied one at Mania 27 due to plans changing.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah Khali is a perfectly acceptable World Champion on accounts of just being an one of a kind absolute freak of nature that can never be repeated. He was also huge in India and would be all over the papers over there so you can at least argue the logic in making him Champ as they were trying to break into the India market at the time (no idea if they did or not). 

I always felt bad for him later in his run where his knees were clearly absolutely fucked and they'd have him waddle out to put over the fresh up and comer of the day. Even being a legitimate giant monster you couldn't accept him as a real threat when he could barely walk. There was one time The Miz absolutely beat the shit out of him with a steel chair that I just felt sorry for the guy.

As for worst Champion it's got to be  a battle between Jinder and Swagger. The types of Champions were even despite being former World Champions it never feels like they actually were because they were so shit and boring.

Edited by LaGoosh

I never bought Khali as a threat purely because of how awfully he moved. He always looked like he was about to topple over, and even as a 14 year old watching him I wondered why nobody was booting the fuck out of his knees.

20 hours ago, air_raid said:

I’d only be repeating myself. No justification for one of the Acolytes to win the big belt two months after doing jobs to Bashams. Pathetic.

I actually don't necessarily disagree with this, in so much as I don't know that he was the obvious solution to the problem they faced before giving him the title.

Angle, Lesnar, Big Show were hurt, Eddie was running on fumes and The Undertaker didn't want to work a full schedule. Quite how they landed on JBL I don't know, but that they did is not really his fault.

That said, for a guy that was just a pudgy member of a used-to-be goth, old school tag team, he completely revolutionised his act in what felt like ten minutes and actually got it over.

He was a cartoon bad guy in an era where that's exactly what they wanted as they prepared the ground for a cartoon babyface (Cena) to be their top guy. He was Elma Fudd, waiting for Cena to come along and be his Bugs Bunny.

He threw himself into the role with gusto, completely threw himself into mad angles like blowing a title up in a bin with the push of a red button or wrestling an inflatable alligator in his pants after being shot by a tranquilliser dart.

His was a reign completely without ego, or a sense of the cool heel, he was just the bad guy, willing to show arse at all times. He discovered an ability to cut a completely convincing promo, being silly when he needed or violent when he needed, and he simply became the perfect foil for Cena when Cena became ready.

The transition was maybe longer than they anticipated - in part, I think, because he was fun and had a bit of mainstream coverage so they allowed it to grow naturally so Cena could dethrone him at just the right time - but that's what he was, a transitional champion, and I'm willing to die on a hill that says he was one of the best. Smackdown was on its arse, its savior wasn't quite ready... and he kept the throne warm.

It's top marks from me, lads.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

@d-d-d-dAz I think you know what I think, because I posted it in a different thread ; Cena was ready. Having a lengthy JBL reign rather than transitioning quickly from Eddy to him hurt both Cena and the quality of TV alike.

24 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Cameron Grimes and Von Wagner have also been released.

I completely understand why they’d release Grimes given his status on the card, but the fact he amounted to so little on the main roster baffles me. He was great fun in NXT, and his character should have been very easy to understand when he was called up; yet they never really established who he was. He’s surely a lock to return to TNA, where he was a really valuable part of their roster. 

• Paid Members

Cameron Grimes rules. Proper funny, great character, brilliant worker. He carried those dark days of NXT during the pandemic.

It's a real, "telling-on-yourself," moment when you can't find a way to feature this guy on your seven hours of weekly television. Even more so when someone as shit as Karrion Kross is on about his third or fourth chance.

Hopefully, someone picks him up quickly and pushes him TO THE MOON.