Clash at the Castle 2024 comes to Glasgow

Daaaaaad!

9 minutes ago, Supremo said:

How mad was that bit where Jade kept tapping out in the sleeper hold, too? Such a weird, basic mistake to make. The poor commentators looked like idiots trying to explain what was going on.

That was mad, and I think the only real explanation is that the choke was on a bit snug and as she was panicking anyway she just did it to tell Shayna to calm down. Absolutely mental. She then did it again with a closed fist a second later.

She might look a million dollars, but she is nowhere near ready for where she is currently. Absolutely rubbish.

The Drew thing is a tough one. For the "home" fans it was a pretty straight forward logical build where the hero finally gets the homecoming he deserves. The build up was great. The video packages. Everything. It was all set up to be the ultimate feel good moment, especially after he didn't beat Roman last time. And let's be honest, that made sense. It was Roman. I'm okay with that.

But then you've got the bigger picture.

The feud with Punk where realistically Drew is the straight talking heel. I think. He's entertaining but he's still meant to be the bad guy right?

And there's Priest. The unknown and the unproven. They've held off pulling the trigger on him and now he's out to prove he's not a transitional paper champ. Fair enough. I can see why they don't want to cut him off quite yet.

So yeah, the whole build up and weekend was really just a little diversion from the main stuff and now they're back on track. And it's disappointing for those that were invested from a different angle being fully behind Drew (like me!) but overall it was all a logical step forward.

I guess the only issue I do have it is I still don't see Priest getting any better as champ. I'm not sure a win like this helps. I still feel like I'm just waiting for him to lose to someone. I'd actually have more issue with him beating Gunther so we'll see how that plays out.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, waters44 said:

They’ve stumbled across a really handy tool in that decibel gauge. As soon as the crowd saw that they went mental. Anytime the want a reaction just show that and they’ll get a reaction

I'm surprised it's taken them that long to start using it, it's been a thing in American sports stadiums for a while (particularly American Football where there is a clear competitive advantage to the crowd being ear-splittingly loud when the opposition is on offence). Assuming it's another thing to thank Kevin Dunne's replacement Lee Fitting for as that's the world he came from. 

FWIW, I've always been sceptical about if they are legit decibel meter readings in "real" sports, so who knows here. But they do have the desired effect, as you experienced! 

• Paid Members

@d-d-d-dAz I get the hometown hero winning being predictable, but when was the last time WWE did that? If anything it’s something they famously DON’T do. AEW have a fair few times, but that’s now two times Drew has headlined a Clash, two times he’s lost by interference, it makes him look weak.

Some bizarre posts in this thread. We’ve literally just seen the same thing with Cody, fans leaving WM39 chanting bullsh*t etc. If they came back next year with SummerSlam and sell-out Wembley with Drew winning it’d be heralded as great long-term booking… Hopefully drew doesn’t then get caught with HGH two months later, forcing him into a tour of regional leisure centres selling polaroids

24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@d-d-d-dAz I get the hometown hero winning being predictable, but when was the last time WWE did that? If anything it’s something they famously DON’T do. AEW have a fair few times, but that’s now two times Drew has headlined a Clash, two times he’s lost by interference, it makes him look weak.

My point is more, they should only do it when it's also the logical next step in the story they're telling on TV every week.

They're not a live event company booked for the thousands in attendance whilst millions watch on at home, they're a TV production company booked for the millions of people watching at home whilst thousands of people get to watch it live.

I don't buy that Drew looks weak, he looks fucked over. And that'll make him very cross. Which I think is what they're going for.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Surely the whole point of losing by interference is so that the person can lose the match without looking weak?

His opponent had one leg and he was given a low blow. It’s hardly a chair shot to the head or something.

@d-d-d-dAzYou have that the wrong way round. They are a live touring company that uses TV to push people to buy tickets. They always have been and I would say with the price of tickets and venue sizes, more than ever.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@d-d-d-dAzYou have that the wrong way round. They are a live touring company that uses TV to push people to buy tickets. They always have been and I would say with the price of tickets and venue sizes, more than ever.

I'm pretty sure their TV rights are a much, much larger piece of the pie than gates these days, which would make Daz right

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If you'd kept watching WWE, you'd understand the context of what they're doing here.

21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

His opponent had one leg and he was given a low blow. It’s hardly a chair shot to the head or something.

Absolutely not.

With live shows come big overheads. Yes they charge exorbitant prices, but they're constantly serving the big beast of touring costs. The TV rights money isn't just more, it also almost pure profit.

Whether it's your favourite football team, wrestling company or boxing promotion, trust me they see themselves as being media powerhouses first and live event promoters second.

I had to go to a fan engagement in sport conference recently, hosted by Adobe, and there were fascinating talks by the Digital Director at Real Madrid, and the Commercial Director at Chelsea Women, where they basically said the biggest challenge facing legacy sports organisations is managing their traditional fans through the process of realising the nature of the sports industry has changed, and how everyone who matters is a media company these days.

Yes ticket prices are insane, but they're peanuts compared to international TV deals.

Media rights are now mainly locked in for 5-15 years with the Netflix deal.

It kind of is back to live events as a focus. Since there's 100s of cities, countries, tourist boards, funds willing to buy in shows driving up values with the extra boost from ticket sales, merch, and other sponsorships. That's where there's growth to be had.

Sports (which wrestling likes to consider itself when it’s TV deal time) is definitely mostly about how much money can be made in long term TV rights deals at the minute. Even pay per view isn’t that important which is why they’ve pretty much dropped out of it.

You just need to look at VAR in football to show nothing is really about the people at the live event, everything is geared towards the TV viewer. 

Live event audience participation is obviously important in terms of making the show a valuable commodity but some of the soulless EPL crowds while bringing in record money in TV rights will tell you it’s not that important in the grand scheme.