Age in big-time US wrestling ; shifting perceptions

air_raid

• Paid Members

I remember IWS, seeing Steen and Generico in them. Thought and still think they were both shite at the time - great to see them improve to world-class level. I remember Sexxxy Eddy - was on one of the first shows in the UK I ever attended, IPW:UK Show 2. There was also a guy called The Arsenal who was essentially a hardcore gimmick, and, like most guys around that time doing that, was a bit shite.

The dudleys only just turning 50, and combining that with the earlier post about their nasty boys fued brings them nicely into this thread, as it means they were only mid 30s for the One Night Stand shows, when they were considered past it

Currently watching some old Manias to prep for WMXL. Sticking with the milestones every ten years. With the first one and Mania X accounted for, I went to WrestleMania XX tonight. Got to Evolution vs. Rock & Sock Connection. I remember Foley being disappointed in that match, but I love it and consider it an underrated gem, mostly because of The Rock and Ric Flair mucking around being awesome.

The Rock, who by 2004 had wrapped up his full-time wrestling career, gone Hollywood, and was in this spot at WMXX as a returning legend. He was 31 years old.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Paul Heyman was only 35 when ECW closed in 2001.

Fucking hell.

I was thinking this, the other day and how the product up till recently felt like it stood still for about 20 years and and yet if you look at that same timescale 1970 wwwf and 1990 wwf are almost like millennia apart.

He'll, wwf 1987 and 1992 look a million years apart.

In 1993 Bossman looked washed up in jobbing on way out to Bam Bam and he was 29!!!

EarthQuake on the way out of wwf in 1993 looked like his run was over and he was....29

Warlords last match for wwf and his run was considered over was 3 weeks into being 30

All look like relics of a bygone era and under 30

Even though we think of feuds and 'runs' lasting longer in 'retro' era wwf, the reality looking back is that alot seemed to change every 3 years.

Hell attitude era and hogan 1990 era are only about 7 years apart yet the product is so different!!!

9 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I was thinking this, the other day and how the product up till recently felt like it stood still for about 20 years and and yet if you look at that same timescale 1970 wwwf and 1990 wwf are almost like millennia apart.

He'll, wwf 1987 and 1992 look a million years apart.

In 1993 Bossman looked washed up in jobbing on way out to Bam Bam and he was 29!!!

EarthQuake on the way out of wwf in 1993 looked like his run was over and he was....29

Warlords last match for wwf and his run was considered over was 3 weeks into being 30

All look like relics of a bygone era and under 30

Even though we think of feuds and 'runs' lasting longer in 'retro' era wwf, the reality looking back is that alot seemed to change every 3 years.

Hell attitude era and hogan 1990 era are only about 7 years apart yet the product is so different!!!

Yeah it did change regularly. I remember as a kid after watching WM7 rented some older manias from the video shop. I didn't enjoy them. I didn't know who many of the wrestlers were and it looked so dull and dreary. I think I found 5 the first watchable one. 

It was Grayson Waller's birthday yesterday. He turned 34. The Twitter comments were a little outrageous, carrying on like he's ancient. I sometimes wonder about Twitter- even though it came out and started to get popular in my late teens/early 20s, whenever the topic of age comes up, the consensus seems to be that anyone over 30 is a dinosaur- not just limited to wrestlers either.

In the case of Grayson, people were saying, "well, he's too old, he's not going to make it, just let him go". Which is wild when he's just getting started and just about all the current top stars are 5-10 years older than him. He also started relatively late, with his wrestling debut coming at 27, so he doesn't have the miles on his body that a typical 34 year old wrestler might have, say if they started on the indies at 18.

Maybe I'm a little sensitive on this one because Grayson and I are exactly 3 months apart- I'll be 34 myself in June. But seriously, that's not old! 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Look how over he was! Why didn't they bring him back as a regular? 

EDIT: Not a good match, though - Quake's great as always, but why was he leaving his feet (aside from the dropkick and splash) for that no-mark? I've never heard of Tank Meloche until today. Was he supposed to be wrestling face? More importantly, I can't tell if he was meant to be a jobber or more than, because he came out to music and was allowed to go toe-to-toe with Quake in weight and strength, despite showing all the personality of a courgette.

Mind you, the pop for the finish - I was looking forward to that. Still don't understand why they didn't bring him back. He was clearly still much loved.

Edited by Carbomb

8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Look how over he was! Why didn't they bring him back as a regular? 

EDIT: Not a good match, though - Quake's great as always, but why was he leaving his feet (aside from the dropkick and splash) for that no-mark? I've never heard of Tank Meloche until today. Was he supposed to be wrestling face? More importantly, I can't tell if he was meant to be a jobber or more than, because he came out to music and was allowed to go toe-to-toe with Quake in weight and strength, despite showing all the personality of a courgette.

Mind you, the pop for the finish - I was looking forward to that. Still don't understand why they didn't bring him back. He was clearly still much loved.

I'm pretty sure the kid was a trainee of his, Tenta had a school for a bit.